Academy 1/72nd B-24D Liberator MTO

Started by Chuck A. Villanueva · 72 · 1 year ago
  • Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 2 years, 11 months ago:

Time to resurrect an old build that has been sitting. Academy's B-24D. Before attaching the fuselage halves together. Will first install the LH side waist gunners hatch in the open position folded up and in.

Next is to assemble the forward top turret. Simple piece, ring mount, blister and a pair of .50 cal Brownings. If I may remember, I think the old Revell B-24D had more details here on the turret.

Then the turret is put in place on the LH side of the fuselage.

Next is to have the fuselage assembled. Fit is ok, the expected seam work on upper and lower fuselage contact points are figured in.

Slowly taking shape. The seam on the nose to fuselage attaching point looks good. So this won't be much of an issue.

So far everything is aligned so we can move on to the next step.

Next up is to work on the lower details, and hope the bomb bay doors are the correct size, when installed.

Next a bit more work on the lower details.

more to follow.

1 additional image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 11 months ago:

Good to see you picked this one from the shelve again, Chuck @uscusn
    Great progress on the fuselage.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 11 months ago:

This is an amazing come back, my friend @uscusn! The Liberator looks great, the Academy kit looks good, looking forward to your progress!

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 2 years, 11 months ago:

I love the B-24, Chuck (@uscusn), so I will also be following along. I always figured that if I had a previous life as a WW2 bomber pilot, I would be flying a Liberator.

• Profile Photo
    Yann Bertholet said 2 years, 10 months ago:

Hello Chuck, @uscusn. I just saw that another Liberator was in progress, I take a seat to follow your build. Your project looks really promising. I am impressed by the quality of details of the Academy Kit. Looking forward for new post.

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 2 years, 10 months ago:

Hi John, it was Yann's Hase B-24 WIP that got me motivated to restart my Academy Liberator. So blew the dust off and spider webs to get her going.

Thanks Spiros, it just seems that the Academy kit is not let say as fun to build as the original Revell B-24D so long ago.

Hi George, the B-24 so much different in appearance than the B-17. For me though I would fly the B-26 Invader.

Hello Yann, thanks I actually started it over a year ago, but shelved it for awhile. I got motivated to get it going again once your Hase B-24 WIP was presented. I think the Hase kit is a bit more detailed than Academy's offering. Lacking a bit interior wise. The engines aren't the greatest. Will need a bit of seam work as well. But so far it is going together ok.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 2 years, 10 months ago:

Great to have this one rolling again. I shall be checking in now and then Chuck.

• Profile Photo

Next is to install the bomb bay doors. ​I will have the doors closed for this build. One is the lack of details within the bomb bay.

There are 4 doors on the B-24 that open along the sides of the fuselage. Installed the rearward doors first.

Fit is not perfect. Will work on this when time to clean up around the seams. As i next installed the 2 forward doors.

Next the rear lower panel just aft of the weapons bay.

Now to assemble the Davis wings.

Simple task, upper and lower halves, wheel bays are painted interior green.

Then the wings are attached to the fuselage. Quickly taking shape. Fit is good here no drooping.

Next the twins tails. More to follow.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 10 months ago:

Good job on the bomb bay doors, my friend @uscusn!
    Yep, they rarely fit well, don' they!
    Looking forward to this beauty's progress!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 10 months ago:

Maybe not perfect yet, but you will get that fixed for sure, Chuck @uscusn
    Nice to see that shape coming along.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 2 years, 10 months ago:

It is really starting to look like a B-24, Chuck (@uscusn). I love B-24s, but every one I have built has been a pain around the bomb bays.

• Profile Photo

Thanks Spiros, still need to work on them a bit;
    John, the Academy kit does have it's short comings, a bit disappointed, yet will carry on and get her done.
    Thanks George, true if you want to close them up. I would've preferred to have them open, but there is no details in the bomb bay, even with the bomb racks and bombs. Just nothing in there otherwise.
    intended to start on the tail, but decided to do the props. Since I had black in the airbrush doing some paint work on another project so with the left over black, painted the props.

Taped off the tips and airbrushed them yellow.

Removed the masks and later down the road add some clear gloss for the labels on each blade.

Next some body work along the top and bottom seams.

Bit of work will get the fuselage to look much better.

The nose area top and bottom in particular.

Next up will definitely build the tails...
    more to follow...

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 10 months ago:

Nice job on the props, my friend @uscusn.
    Great bodywork, too!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 10 months ago:

Starts to look real nice, Chuck @uscusn

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 2 years, 10 months ago:

I spent a few hours this morning sanding a pair of planes - quite satisfying work all I think. Nice steady progress on this big bird.