Airfix 1/48 Blenheim If.

Started by John Healy · 40 · 3 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    John Healy said 3 years, 4 months ago:

I’ve been working on this one for a couple of weeks and thought I’d share some build photos. It’s going to be finished as a 27 Squadron plane in Malaya, December, 1941. This is a really nice kit and I’m looking forward to finishing it and building the forthcoming bomber version as well. It’s on hold for a couple weeks because I’m waiting on “O” rings for my Paasche Talon to be delivered and I’m going to be away from my spray booth for a couple weeks anyways.

17 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 4 months ago:

Wow, John @j-healy!
    What a great progress and what an excellent job!
    The Airfix kit seems good, your skills are producing a masterpiece here!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 years, 4 months ago:

Looking great, John.
    Have seen a Blenheim in action last year and it's a beauty to see.

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 3 years, 4 months ago:

Thanks, guys. I like the engineering on these new Airfix kits. The spar system joining the wings makes for one strong model as opposed to slots and tabs. They’ve really dialed it in with this model and the Walrus. Great subjects, well designed, affordable price.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 4 months ago:

John, that is a very nice build. Looks like the base kit is great as well. Thanks for sharing @j-healy, and fingers crossed that santa will soon be on his way with the O-rings!

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 3 years, 3 months ago:

Time to finish the Blenheim. I masked it up using an Eduard set this morning. Paint up next...

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 years, 3 months ago:

Lot of masking, that mask set must have been very helpful.
    Good luck on the painting, John. @j-healy
    Looking forward to the result.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 3 months ago:

Looking great already, John @j-healy!
    I too love this masking.
    Looking forward to your painting!

• Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 3 years, 3 months ago:

Oh yeah, this is looking good John. Real good.
    Interested in your final conclusion when you finish this kit.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 3 years, 3 months ago:

Looking really nice @j-healy. I'm going to take my second Blenheim and do the bomber, also Malaya December 1941, now that I rediscovered the left-over decals from the Classic Airframes kit for the VC airplane.

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 3 years, 2 months ago:

Bottom colors applied. I referenced a very long and informative, but confusing and inconclusive thread about these planes over at Britmodeller. The thread includes a color Time/Life photo of a 27 Squadron machine, and black/white pics from a Japanese magazine of the plane I’m modeling. The bottom was black and some sort of sky blue, not Sky. I used Humbrol black and Xtracolor RLM 65 as a close match. Green/dark earth next...

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Looking forward to seeing that, Tom. I’m going to do the bomber in the Desert/Greek campaign scheme.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 years, 2 months ago:

Nice progress here, John.
    Looking forward to the top side.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 2 months ago:

Looking great, John @j-healy!
    This blue is very interesting, reminds me of azure blue...

• Profile Photo

Tom, it’s worth checking out the Britmodeller thread. PTF is serialled L8618 with a fighter band on the rear fuselage. This is the one I’m building. Classic Airframes and Printscale both have this plane serialled L1134. PT was 27 Squadrons code. Airfix represented Scarf’s plane as L1134/FXF in their 1/72 kit. FX was 62 Squadron’s code. Nobody knows for sure obviously, but it’s an interesting read.