Airfix 1/48 Hawker Hurricane MK I

Started by Yann Bertholet · 93 · 2 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 2 years, 9 months ago:

You are in the part of the build that is my least favorite, Yann (@yann). Repairing panel lines and other detail that disappeared during sanding is something that always gives me problems. I can never get the lines looking consistent. Your repairs look great. I also usually ignore lost rivets, since my previous attempts to restore them have been disasters.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 9 months ago:

You did well on restoring the panel lines, Yann @yann
    The missing rivets will not be noticed by others admiring the end result.
    I agree with the other gentlemen that there must be a valid reason to have both ailerons in lowered position.
    It looks great.

• Profile Photo
    Yann Bertholet said 2 years, 8 months ago:

Hi Folks, long time no see. First of all: thanks a lot for all those nice comment and advices. Ho yes advice, I made up my mind and decided to change the color of the wheel bay, now it's metallic grey.

Then I continued building the kit before going to paint shop: Antenna, Pitot tube, masking canopy... And I tried a new technique for the panel lines. No clue if this will work...? While rebuilding the lines I wanted to check it was deep enough, and the 1st tool I got was son's pencil. Yes it was deep enough but it's also describing the panel lines so let's check the other ones. I excepting a mess with the graphite and the paint, but let's see...

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 8 months ago:

Looking great so far, my friend @yann!
    Running a pencil through the panel lines is a technique that might work very well, kind of a fine preshading. I think I have read about this technique some time in the past, the results said to be good!
    Looking forward to your next steps!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 8 months ago:

Nice approach, Yann @yann
    A promising looking technique. I think the grafite should do fine with paint.
    I read people doing panel lines with a marker, but that didn't work well because of the ink.
    With a pencil it creates very fine lines, looking forward to it.

• Profile Photo
    Felix said 2 years, 8 months ago:

Very nice build. I am doing the 1/72 Hurricane currently but this version i have to get too!

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 2 years, 8 months ago:

Ditto from me, Yann (@yann). Looks good. I would think pencil would work fine as long as you didn't put the first paint on heavy. Maybe just mist it on to start. Looking forward to the results.

• Profile Photo

Thanks a lot guys for the comments. Yesterday I applied the 2nd coat of 'grey sky' on the lower section of the plane. I used this mix 2x Revell 59 Sky mat for 1x Revell 05 White mat.

Regarding the preshading with the pencil it did not really work but at least did not damage the kit

And finally complete masking the canopy.

1 additional image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

The color mixture looks great, Yann @yann
    You might want to do some panel shading to increase the panel line visibility.

• Profile Photo

That's some great "sky", my friend @yann!
    Looking forward to your next steps!

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 2 years, 8 months ago:

Color looks great, @yann. Maybe you can try a thin marker for the panel lines next time and see if you can get something that will show through the paint. I had a lot of trouble getting the pre-shading to show through all of the later layers, so I switched to post-shading. I noticed you had added the foot "stirrup" at the rear of the wing. I would have knocked it off 3 or 4 times by now.

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 2 years, 8 months ago:

Coming along well, Yann. A friend of mine built this kit and experienced the same fit issues between wing and fuselage.

• Profile Photo

Thanks a lot my friends @johnb, @fiveten, @gblair, @j-healy. Yes indeed, the pencil pre-shading did not work, I was planning anyway to use panel lines, hope this will be enough. This week I found some time to paint the upper part in dark earth (Revell 89 RAF Mat Dark Earth).

• Profile Photo

Earth looks great, my friend @yann!

• Profile Photo

Looks great Yann @yann
    Is this enamel or acrylic?