Airfix 1/48 P-40B Warhawk

Started by George R Blair Jr · 118 · 2 years ago · 1/48, Airfix, P-40B, Warhawk
  • Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 2 years, 8 months ago:

I have wanted to build this particular kit for a long time. When you search the internet for photos of P-40s, you will inevitably find a color photo of an early P-40 with a fuselage code of "X-804". This plane, which was the subject of a wartime article in Life magazine, was used for advanced fighter training at Luke Army Air Corps base near Phoenix, Arizona. My first assignment in the Air Force as a new Second Lieutenant was at Luke Air Force Base, so building a model of this plane was a no-brainer.

I had heard good things about the Airfix P-40B, so that was easy to acquire. I had planned to piece the markings together using my spare decals, but it turns out that Wolfpack makes a decal set for X-804. Problem solved. The only thing I added to the basic kit was a set of Eduard seatbelts for the P-40B.

Looking at the photo, you can see that the plane is an early model P-40. The next step was to figure out whether X-804 was a basic P-40, a P-40B, or a P-40C. I was a little fuzzy about the difference between the early models, but the basic external difference has to do with the number of guns in the wings. This is where things get a little confusing. The first production P-40, known as a P-40 or P-40-CU, had no guns in the wings. But it seems that some P-40-CUs had guns added later. The next model was the P-40B, that had a couple of guns in each wing. The P-40C also had guns in the wings. When you look at the photo, you can't see any guns in the wings, so I figured it was a basic P-40, but further research revealed that planes used in training sometimes had their guns removed. The internet can be a real swamp of mis-information, and I found sources that identified X-804 as a P-40-CU, a P-40B, a P-40C, and a P-40N (really?). I finally found an extract from an accident report from late 1942. It turns out X-804 was destroyed in a crash, and the accident report identifies it as a P-40-CU. So, I figure I will probably build my model as a P-40-CU with no wing guns. The other thing the photo reveals is a very weathered finish on the plane, which is something I want to try to replicate.

Initial look at the model parts were very promising. They looked detailed and accurate. The kit includes two different types of canopies, as well as separate canopies for an open or closed cockpit. It also includes two different sets of tires, one with weighted tires for gear down, and one set with round tires for gear up.

Work unsurprisingly begins with the cockpit. I wanted to try using some Worn Effects fluid from AK Interactive to create some wear in the cockpit. I started by painting the cockpit floor and the seat with a aluminum paint. After this had dried, I sprayed a couple of layers of Worn Effects fluid over the aluminum. Once dry, I sprayed a layer of cockpit green over the parts. As soon as this was dry, I sprayed water over the parts to reactivate the Worn Effect fluid, and then I started scrubbing the surface with a stiff brush. I worked slowly and carefully, and soon had a nice pattern of wear in the seat and on the floor. I let all this dry for a few hours, and then sprayed a layer of clear over the parts to protect the finish. This is basically the "hairspray" method that has been around for a while. I like the effect and will use it some more in the future.

I painted and built as much of the cockpit as I could while the parts were still on the sprues. This makes it easier to handle and paint some of the smaller and intricate parts. One problem I had with this model that I had with the previous Airfix kit I had built was that the plastic is very soft. I managed to break several of the horizontal spars on the cockpit sides as I tried to clean and paint them. I repaired them with liquid glue and everything was fine. I used the kit decal for the instrument panel and after several applications of decal solvent, I think it looks fine. I added the seatbelts to the seat, and then assembled the various cockpit parts. Everything fit like a glove.

I should be able to move on to the fuselage tomorrow. Everyone stay safe!

7 additional images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 2 years, 8 months ago:

Awesome pick, George. Great cockpit work. I liked mine a lot. So much so that I hoarded two more. One to do as RAF, one to do as Soviet. I remember the radiator/ oil cooler area being a bit fiddly, but don’t remember the exact issue. Look mine up and I’m sure I mentioned it. I think I built it in early 2017.

• Profile Photo
    Andrew H said 2 years, 8 months ago:

Very nice choice of build. Airfix's instructions are indeed pretty novel. The chipping work in the cockpit looks great, and the chosen scheme is not so common. Looking forward to seeing this progress.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 2 years, 8 months ago:

This is a magnificent project ! I have also built one of these Airfix P-40’s. It was a really nice kit and I didn’t add anything aftermarket on mine. I built it up using the box supplied decals for the Pearl Harbor plane. They worked very well. The only thing that I remember bad about the building was the seam on the spinner / propeller hub was kind of a bear. It didn’t require filler, but it was a pain to file it down without damaging the prop blades. I don’t recall having to use any filler during the rest of the building either. It was really nice overall.

I have a build journal posted on here and it is also posted as one of the articles that I wrote. I liked it so much I just had to go out and get 7 more of them ! They carried them at Hobby Lobby and these were less than $20 out the door after they applied the 40 percent off coupon.

I have all of them under construction in the same manner that our good friend Erik does with his 109 “Kindergarten”. I have plans to have one completed by December 7th. I’m building it up as the plane that the Collings Foundation has. It is the world’s sole P-40 survivor from the attack that morning. It is only here today simply because it was damaged and parked inside of a hangar at Pearl.

Your cockpit work looks magnificent and I especially like the chips in the paint effect.
    I’m definitely looking forward to seeing your next installment.

I have a great book by Dana Bell on the early Curtiss P-40’s and then I have taken a lot of pictures of the Collings P-40. So please don’t hesitate to ask if you need anything. You have definitely been a great friend to me, especially with the Junkers 52 project D-2600.

This is the very least I can do for you.

There are also some great WW2 color pictures of P-40’s that were under construction at the Curtiss factory. These are some of the one that are available from the “LIFE” collection.

What I find fascinating about the pictures is just how different the OD green looks. These planes were painted with the same paint and within the same time frame. Notice how much different they look when you compare the indoor photo

against the outside picture.

I know that there are a lot of variables at play here with things like the lighting and possibly even how the film was developed.

To my eyes, they look more green in one of the pictures and more OD brownish green in the other. Another thing I have noticed was the difference in the colors of the Zinc Chromate on the interior parts. I’m going to be painting the inside of the fuselage in the light yellow ZC green in the small square Testors bottle and then using a darker interior green color for the cockpit insert that you have done such a great job with. This should give it a neat looking contrast.

Please keep us posted on the progress. This is a very cool project.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 8 months ago:

A great choice, George @gblair
    I also did this Airfix, except it was boxed as the Tomahawk and had the sharkmouth decals.
    The kit is a pleasure to build and you clearly showed how detailed it is.
    Your interior looks awesome, especially the chipping.
    Looking forward to your impression about this kit.

• Profile Photo

Thanks, John (@j-healy), Andrew (@pb_legend), Louis (@lgardner), and John (@johnb). I figured several of you had probably built this kit previously, so I have been looking up all of the previous builds. I will need to go find your build, John, as the chin area has several parts that will need to be massaged together. Thanks for the photos, Louis, really nice detail, especially on the restored plane. Some great details visible. I found several of the inflight photos online from the Life article. Interesting you should note the color variations, as I had noticed them also. It started with the interior, and many of the photos seem to show an interior color that is a little more green than usual. I added a little dark green to my interior color to take a little of the yellow shade away. I also bought 6 or 7 variations of the OD exterior color so that I can replicate the worn exterior. I have also noticed on some of the museum planes around here that are outside that the OD sometimes fades to a more brownish color. I hope to replicate that. And last, the forward section of the plane looks like a lot of oil has hit the paint and then been wiped off, leaving the area with a darker oily color. In the same area there are some exhaust stains. If you look at the black and white photo, it looks like the exhaust stains directly behind the exhausts have been wiped away by the oil wiping process, and then continue on the other side of the oil stains. I'm not sure I can replicate all of this, but it may be fun to try.

• Profile Photo

I love this kit! Everything locks together.

I came across a light (I think), that is one each side of the fuselage near the bottom rear of the cockpit. If anyone knows what it is, let me know. I can't figure out what these lights would have illuminated, so I am curious.

• Profile Photo

Louis @lgardner) came to the rescue on the mystery lights. He is 99% sure they are formation lights, which are used to maintain formation at night. The lights are actually a blue color. I hadn't seen single formation lights before. The P-51 had formation lights in groups of three. The planes that I flew in the Air Force didn't use formation lights, usually relying on visual references to maintain formation. In the C-141, airdrop missions were usually the only ones flown in formation, and we had station-keeping radar that allowed us to fly formation in the weather. Thanks for the info, Louis.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 2 years, 8 months ago:

You’re absolutely welcome my friend ! The three colored lights you mentioned were used for signaling messages in Morse Code or as a simple IFF as needed. They were called “signaling lights” for this reason. A little while ago I found a great website that shows exactly how they were used and why. I’ll see if I can locate the link and I’ll send it to you.

I’m not 100 percent sure but I don’t think that these signaling lights were on the early P-40’s. If so, they were likely under the fuselage.

I’ll see if I have any pictures of them. If so I will definitely post them on here or send them to you via PM if you would prefer that.

That’s very neat information about how the 141’s operated. Thanks, this is cool stuff !

The formation lights on the sides of the fuselage were a blue colored lens. It was the same color on each side. The actual light bulb located behind the lens were clear. I just sent you the pictures showing this. Hope this helps you.

I think that the P-51 also had blue formation lights, but I’ll have to go digging through the pictures that I have taken to confirm it.

I know for a 100 percent fact that the Corsairs and the Hellcats had them, but they were located above each wing near the ailerons, not on the fuselage side like the P-40.

You are really rocking this P-40 ! It’s definitely looking great. Thanks for posting this detailed journal. It’s definitely a fun kit for building and I am very impressed with the details and the fit. Airfix did a great job with this one, and you are making it shine !

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 8 months ago:

I somehow missed the start, catching up now, my friend @gblair!

Wow! What a start and what a progress! Looks like this kit is good, but, man, you make the most of it!

Love the cockpit: those weathering effects are absolutely stunning: this is one super looking cockpit!

Great that the "mystery light" issue is clarified: our friend @lgardner came - as usual - to the rescue, with his amazing knowledge and exceptional archive! Those pics are invaluable and provide very realistic info on the early P-40 color shades.

Looking forward to this super build, seemingly progressing at warp speed!

• Profile Photo
    Yann Bertholet said 2 years, 8 months ago:

Fantastic start George @gblair. The paint work on the cockpit is just awesome. And I enjoy your research to achieve the most accurate build. Looking forward for new update.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 8 months ago:

Great progress, George @gblair
    Memories, positive ones, on this kit are coming back.
    Seems like I fully forgot to wonder myself what this light was about.
    It is nice to see the purpose of this light being described now.
    I will correct this on my build because it is abolutely not blue on there.
    Looking forward to this build.

• Profile Photo

Thanks, Spiros (@fiveten), Yann (@yann), and John (@johnb). Welcome to the voyage. This build will be one big experiment in painting techniques, so who knows how it will go. I am still just a casual builder, Yann, and I tend to do just enough research not to embarrass myself too much. I am one of those guys who knows a little about a lot of stuff, but not a lot about anything. I suspect, John, that the light is so small that you won't see the blue. I will tint mine blue and we can see if it makes a difference in the end. Thanks again to Louis, whose amazing photos provide details you can't find anywhere else.

• Profile Photo
    David Mills said 2 years, 8 months ago:

Great post George loved the photos.

• Profile Photo
    Nathan Shultz said 2 years, 8 months ago:

Hello All,
    Long time lurker, first post!
    I was lucky enough to see and photograph the Collings Foundation P-40 at the Worcester airport in Mass.
    The light in question is indeed a blue formation light. See enclosed pic.
    I have a few more very good detail pics if you would like me to share them.
    Great job so far!
    Nate

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.