Airfix 1/48 P-40B Warhawk

Started by George R Blair Jr · 118 · 2 years ago · 1/48, Airfix, P-40B, Warhawk
  • Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 2 years, 8 months ago:

Thanks, Spiros (@fiveten) and John (@johnb). Should finish today. Cheers.

• Profile Photo

Done. This has been a fun build and I appreciate all of the support and kind words. This Airfix kit was really nice to build. It was a little different trying to replicate not only an airplane, but also a specific pattern of weathering. I learned some useful things during this build, and can now tuck all of these new skills and ideas in my bag of tricks. I plan to post these photos in Headlines, and then spend some time trying to figure out what I want to build next.

Everyone stay safe. Thanks for following along.

12 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 8 months ago:

It turned out really beautiful, George @gblair
    Thanks for sharing all the tricks during this build, really appreciated.

• Profile Photo

Thanks, John (@johnb). I appreciate all of your comments during the build.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 8 months ago:

This was yet another one of your wonderful, detailed build threads, my friend @gblair!
    I really enjoyed reading all your approaches to various areas, weathering definitely included!

• Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 2 years, 8 months ago:

What a great build you did here, George @gblair. That Airfix kit is so much fun to construct, don't you think? Airfix nailed this one. You did too!

• Profile Photo

Thanks, Spiros (@fiveten) and Eric (@eb801). This was a great kit, Eric. It was fun to build, thoughtfully engineered, and everything was in scale. That was the only problem I had: The pitot tube was remarkably small in cross-section. I glued the pitot tube on the wing before I did the weathering. It crossed my mind I should have left it off until after I finished handling the model. I knocked it off less than 5 minutes later. This time, I left it off until everything was done.

• Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 2 years, 8 months ago:

I know that number, George @gblair. I destroyed the pitot tube immediately as well and had to order an extra supply from Quickboost.

• Profile Photo

Hi, Eric (@eb801). As my hand was moving the pitot to the wing to be glued I began to think I should wait. Should have listened to myself. Luckily I found it after I knocked it off and it went back on the plane with little effort when I was done. I have had worse outcomes..

• Profile Photo
    capt. R said 2 years, 8 months ago:

@gblair what paint did you use to cockpit?

• Profile Photo

Hi, @lis. I used two colors from AK Real Colors. I mainly used the cockpit color, and I used the light green, which is a little darker than the cockpit color, for some color variation and shading.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 2 years, 8 months ago:

George, @gblair
    Your P-40 looks magnificent ! I shall head over to the headlines section to take another look at it now... 🙂

• Profile Photo

Thanks, Louis (@lgardner).