Airfix 1/48 P-40B Warhawk

Started by George R Blair Jr · 118 · 3 years ago · 1/48, Airfix, P-40B, Warhawk
  • Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 years, 1 month ago:

Thanks, Louis (@lgardner). I appreciate your kind words, as well as the amazing reference photos.

• Profile Photo

While I am waiting for the canopy mask to arrive in the mail, I decided I could get some work done on the underside of the plane. The color of choice here is Neutral Gray from Tamiya. I planned to apply the base color, then do some highlighting with white added to the base color, followed by some random darkened gray. In the photos I have of this plane, you really can't see much of the underside. I would expect the paint to be worn and a little splotchy, but probably not faded.

The base coat went on well, then I applied the lightened gray in a random pattern. I masked the ailerons using post-it-notes and applied the lightened color. For the darkened color, I wanted to try using an AK Stencil to apply a very random pattern. I haven't used a stencil before, but I like it. After that was done, the underside looked like a tiger with dark spots. I sprayed a very thin (basically a wash) coat over the entire underside to unify the colors.

Overall, I am only semi-happy with the results. I didn't have enough difference between the tones I was using, so when I applied the last unifying application of the base color it basically take away all of the contrast. I plan to put the plane aside for the rest of the day and decide tomorrow if I need to do some more work on the underside. There will still be a lot of work with artist oil colors, so I will need to allow for the later work to come. I painted one panel with a slightly darker gray to suggest a panel replacement. We'll see how it goes. When you look at the photos, they were taken under different lighting that make the colors look vastly different.

Everyone stay safe. Cheers.

8 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 1 month ago:

Interesting technique, my friend @gblair. The result is nice!
    I liked a lot that you evened the "tiger" pattern by light over spraying afterards.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 years, 1 month ago:

Even after the base coat it still looks ok to me, George @gblair
    Slightly less contrast, but still visible.
    Indeed an interesting technique with nice results.

• Profile Photo
    capt. R said 3 years, 1 month ago:

@gblair I used similar stencils during Val build. Result depends how thick coat of paint will you put.

• Profile Photo

Thanks, Spiros (@fiveten), John (@johnb), and @lis. I may do some freehand work with some lighter gray to build up some contrast and panel lines. I always let the model sit for a while so I can look at the work with fresh eyes.

• Profile Photo
    capt. R said 3 years, 1 month ago:

@gblair Mabye try it on black surfacer? Than grey surfacer with AK stencil, and finally main painting (not too thick).

• Profile Photo

Thanks for the suggestion, @lis. I have tried starting with a black primer, and I like it for some colors but not others. I have also tried starting with a light surface, then using black on the panel lines, then use the base camo color in thin coats, allowing the shading to show through. I found it to be a little hard to control. I usually have the sense to stop with the thin coats before I completely cancel out the previous work, but this time I went a little too far. I can usually save the effect with a little more contrast or by using artist oils to tint the previous colors. I think I was also surprised by how dark the Neutral Gray dried...I had expected something a little lighter. Cheers.

• Profile Photo

OK, I did a little more work on the Neutral Gray. I was going for noticeable, but subtle. I have never been good at subtle, but here it is. I used 3 different gray colors from Tamiya, each thinned with X-20 Thinner to the consistency of a wash. I started with the lightest color, applying a random pattern using 10 psi on the compressor. After I finished with the darkest color, I think things look OK. I can still fine tune with some artist oil, as well as add some stains, etc. Still waiting for the canopy mask to show up, so hopefully in the mail today. Everyone stay safe. Cheers.

5 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 3 years, 1 month ago:

George,
    Very impressive ! I am always amazed at how some people have the talent to do this type of painting, yourself included in this group. Myself, I have tried it twice. The first time I was successful, and it turned out looking good on my Heinkel 111 that was part of the Kasserine Pass GB that we had about 3 years ago. It must have been beginners luck.

So I tried it again and failed miserably. My “spare” time for building models is not what it used to be, so I have not made any attempt to try it out again. I’m not saying that I won’t however, sometime in the future.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 years, 1 month ago:

The tone differences look very nice like this, George @gblair
    Thanks for sharing your approach to achieve this.

• Profile Photo

Thanks, John (@johnb) and Louis (@lgardner). I have to admit that I really don't have much of a plan when I do these sort of things. I just keep spraying until I get something acceptable, or until the paint is so heavy on the model that you can't see the panel lines. Sometimes it works, and sometimes not so much. Cheers.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 3 years, 1 month ago:

"I just keep spraying until I get something acceptable" - that's the key to the whole idea. 🙂

Looks good @gblair.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 1 month ago:

Looks great, my friend @gblair!
    I pay kudos to your systematic approach, the result being subtle but noticeable, Just Right, might I say.
    Looking forward to your progress!

• Profile Photo

Thanks, Tom (@tcinla) and Spiros (@fiveten). Masks for the canopy arrived late yesterday. Today has a bunch of chores related to our impending move, but I should be able to start working on the canopy and top paint over the weekend. Cheers.