Airfix 1/48 P-40B Warhawk

Started by George R Blair Jr · 118 · 2 years ago · 1/48, Airfix, P-40B, Warhawk
  • Profile Photo
    John Healy said 2 years, 9 months ago:

Looking good, George.

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 2 years, 9 months ago:

Very nice and comprehensive thread George. I am planning to build the desert version (Tomahawk Mk.II), which I’m guessing is similar, if not equal, to the plastic you’re building here so I’m following with keen interest

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 2 years, 9 months ago:

Thanks, David (@davem), Nate (@Transitmek1), John (@j-healy), and Pedro (@holzhamer). Welcome to the build, Nate. I think I am set for info on the plane, but I appreciate the offer. I was an Air Force pilot for 20 years and can usually identify most stuff on a plane, but these lights on the P-40 stumped me. Louis (@lgardner) had some photos and knew what the lights were. I think your Mk. II will be the same kit with different decals, Pedro. Looking forward to your build.

• Profile Photo

I continue to really like this kit. The engineers put a lot of thought into how this model fits together. Everything fits, and everything locks together or has positive location points. Yesterday I glued the cockpit into the fuselage, and then glued the fuselage halves together. I discovered that I needed to do a little filler and sanding work. The fuselage fit together perfectly when I did a test fit, so I think the need for putty was a self-inflicted wound.

Today I added the nose panels and machine guns, followed by the large wing fillets.

Once the fillets were dry, I added the lower wing. Time to stop and let everything get solid. More tomorrow. Stay safe and dodge the Delta. Cheers

6 additional images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 9 months ago:

Looking super, my friend @gblair!
    I loved the spacers idea: so ingenious!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 9 months ago:

Great progress George @gblair
    This kit is indeed a well thought design by Airfix.

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 2 years, 9 months ago:

George, not from personal experience but rather from various published sources, it seems it’s common getting some seams while joining the fuselage, even when the first dry run test was positive.
    Looking good so far mate!

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 2 years, 9 months ago:

These kits are addictive, George. I’m glad your enjoying this one. Airfix has had seperete wing fillets and used spacers on a few kits now and they’ve all fit/worked as advertised.

• Profile Photo

Thanks, Spiros (@fiveten), John (@johnb), Pedro (@holzhamer), and John (@j-healy). The weekend looks like it will be filled with to-do lists from my wife, so I hope to get some more done on the P-40 today. I am assembling a range of colors to use on the exterior. It is amazing how many different colors of drab, and khaki, and green there are, not to mention what you can mix. :o)

• Profile Photo

I got a lot of the major stuff done today. I started with adding the top of each wing. The first wing fit perfectly, but I had some problems getting the second wing-top to fit. The wing was a little too long at the wingtip, and the small locating pins were out of alignment. The only thing I can think of is that the bottom of the wing was out of alignment when I glued it to the fuselage. It doesn't look crooked, but it is the the only thing I can think would cause this. I probably could have prevented this by adding the wing tops at the same time I glued the bottom of the wing to the fuselage.

The ends of the pods that house the gear were added next. They fit on to a pin that extends just forward of the wing. Neither piece fit correctly. One seemed to fit too deeply into the wing, while the other required major surgery to fit. Both required some put to make it look right.

I added the horizontal stabilizers without problem. They fit securely into the fuselage without any putty needed.

The last thing I did was add the landing gear to the plane. The main landing gear fit securely in the wing and looks really good installed. The tail wheel was also installed. I was impressed that this kit has two sets of gear struts and two sets of wheels. One set of struts is for a gear-down version and is compressed as if there was weight on them. The other set of struts is slightly longer and is used if you are building a gear-up version. Similarly, there is a round set of tires for a gear up version, and a set of tires with a flat bottom for gear down. There is a separate hub for the main gear that had a large sink mark in the center of each hub. I used putty to fill the depression, followed by a little sanding.

That was it for today. Hopefully more tomorrow. Stay safe.

10 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 2 years, 9 months ago:

Hello George, @gblair
    Man you have been busy ! These Airfix P-40's are great, and yours is really looking good. I don't remember having any fit problems when I built mine a few years ago. Somewhere here on Imodeler I have a build journal for it. By the time I find it you will likely be finished with yours.

I have a good picture of the canvas liner that goes in the wheel wells.

On the Colling's Foundation P-40, it is a shade of tan on the mains. I think this "could" be correct, as I have an original WW2 US Army ammunition pouch for a 1911 .45 ACP, (in almost like new condition), and it is a very close match in color...and I did compare them together ! 🙂

But just as there are a million different shades of OD Green, I'm sure they had just as many different variations here with the tan canvas.

Going from memory, the tail wheel liner was an OD Green color on the Colling's plane. I personally think that either version would be correct. I have pictures of both wells stored on my cell phone... Please stand by as I locate them... I will post them in a few. I'm responding on our home computer now.

I would pick any color that you like and run with it.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 2 years, 9 months ago:

Here are the pictures showing the canvas covers. You can also see some of the lower fuselage, and the Port side flap in this photo.

The main wheel / tires are still spinning as the landing gear is retracted. As they come into contact with the canvas liner, they leave rubber marks. You can see the tire marks very good here. There's also a small wooden "chafing block" inside the landing gear well to stop the tire from spinning once the gear is fully retracted.

Here’s what the tail wheel canvas looks like. It appears to be dark OD green color. You can also see the inner details / rivet patterns, and retraction linkage for the tail wheel door in this picture.

Here are some pictures of the landing gear.

I have an identical P-40 model on the work bench and I hope that it is completed and photographed by December 7th. I am building a model of the Collings plane as a Pearl Harbor tribute model.
    Airfix has molded in some tiny tubes that are located on the lower center of the fuselage, in between the main landing gear. These are the drains and should be there. Here’s a picture showing them on the real plane.
    They are located just aft of the radiator and oil cooler, just behind the cowling flaps.

Here’s a picture of another P-40 that is on my building wish list. Someday I will definitely make a model of this plane and I’ll cover it with Bare Metal Foil. Every since I have seen a picture of it I have wanted a miniature version in the display case.

Here is a very good description based with a lot of color pictures from the AVG planes. Rato Marczak has done a great job with his analysis. If you follow this link, it might help you with your color choices. I also have a Federal Standards color chip book, and will gladly offer you assistance if needed.

http://www.ratomodeling.com.br/articles/AVG_cammo/

I know that the FS system wasn't around during WW2, but using it along with the information that Rato has posted, it just might get you in the ballpark.

Hope this helps you my friend. Stay safe and avoid the Delta.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 9 months ago:

That's some amazing progress, my friend @gblair! You overcame some kit's misfits very effectively.

What our friend @holzhamer said about varying quality of modern Airfix kits production might also be the case here.

As usual, our friend @lgardner provided priceless info regarding the boots and landing gear!

Looking forward to your next steps!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 9 months ago:

Some major steps done, George @gblair
    Just a bit more filler and all will be looking fine.
    The fantastic pictures provided by Louis @lgardner, will definitely be of help.
    Looking forward to the next progress.

• Profile Photo
    capt. R said 2 years, 9 months ago:

@gblair Great work! I was wondering about this 1:72 scale model but I haven't bought it yet. Do you remember the scene from the movie Tora Tora Tora when the pair P40 takes off? one of the pilots was a later ace Francis Gabreski, who also flew in Squadron 303 in later times. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvbCHxKQK88