Airfix 1/48 P-40B Warhawk

Started by George R Blair Jr · 118 · 2 years ago · 1/48, Airfix, P-40B, Warhawk
  • Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 8 months ago:

Great decalling, my friend @gblair!

• Profile Photo
    Yann Bertholet said 2 years, 8 months ago:

Very nice Job George @gblair. I love the paint work!

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 2 years, 8 months ago:

Thanks, Spiros (@fiveten) and Yann (@yann). These decals were really nice to use.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 2 years, 8 months ago:

George, @gblair
    This is / was looking very good before the decals were applied... and now it is even better.

• Profile Photo

Thanks, Louis (@lgardner). I had never used Wolfpack decals before, but they worked perfectly.

• Profile Photo
    capt. R said 2 years, 8 months ago:

@gblair I always hold my breath during setting the decals, but your work looks great!

• Profile Photo

Thanks, @lis. I am also a little apprehensive during decals. Sometimes it seems they have a mind of their own.

• Profile Photo

Today was hurry up and wait day. I sprayed Tamiya Clear Flat over the plane, mainly to seal the decals and to provide a base for the weathering to come. In the midst of the 24 hours I wait after spraying the clear, I wanted to experiment with some effects I will need later on the plane.

There are several photos of this plane, and others at Luke, that have a dark stain on the front cowling. It is also shiny. After studying the photos, here is what I think has happened:

1. Engine leaks oil onto the cowling.
    2. Maintenance fixes the leak, then either the maintenance personnel or the crew chief wipes the oil off the cowling panels.
    3. This will leave panels with darkened paint, that is also shiny.

I made a quick trip to my local hobby store today, and picked up some some Engine Fuel and Oil fluid from Ammo by Mig. This is an enamel product that simulates fuel and oil spots and leaks.

I took an unused part from an old model and painted it green, followed by a layer of Tamiya Clear Flat. This will simulate the model surface. I then sprayed the unthinned fluid straight onto the model part. It gave me exactly the effect I was looking for, and it dried quickly and with a gloss.

Yeah! Problem solved. Next step: weathering and effects.
  • Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 2 years, 8 months ago:

The early P-38s didn't have gas tanks in the wing leading edge - that was where the engine air went to cool down. The P-38J and L, which changed radiators, were the ones that had gas in the outer wing since that area wasn't used for cooling.

Your progress on this kit is looking good, @gblair.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 8 months ago:

Always good to try it out first on a spare part, George @gblair
    Will look great on your Warhawk.

• Profile Photo

Love your oil staining research and implementation, my friend @gblair!
    Looking great so far!

• Profile Photo

Thanks, Tom (@tcinla), John (@johnb), and Spiros (@fiveten). My list of things to do from my wife is lengthy this weekend, but I hope to get some more done this weekend. Stay safe.

• Profile Photo

My grand daughter was visiting today, so I didn't think I would get much done. As it turned out, I was able to complete all of the weathering on my plane.

I started by using Flory Models black panel line wash on my plane. If you have never used this product, it is a type of colored clay suspended in a water base. You simply brush it on, wait for it to dry, then wipe the excess off. This is the second time I have used it on a plane, and it seems to work well. I have found it sometimes difficult to remove if you use it over a flat paint, but a paper towel dampened with a little water takes care of the excess. Completing the panel lining before weathering means that sometimes the weathering fills the panel lines with the wrong color and you end up re-doing the panel lines. But it doesn't take much effort to re-establish the few panel lines that are filled in.

I started the weathering by applying various colors of artist oils. I apply an off-white to various panels to give them a faded look. I also apply a reddish brown and a dark gray color in various areas to simulate leaks and streaks. I tried applying a little light green to the fabric surfaces of the ailerons, rudder, and elevators to simulate a little fading, but it didn't seem to make much difference to the color.

When the oil weathering was complete, it was time to tackle the effect of oil-stained cowling panels. The effect I am trying to create is oil that leaks onto the exterior engine panels from an engine that leaks oil in flight, then the crew chief wipes the panels with a rag after the flight, leaving the paint slightly darkened and shiny. After examining the photos I had of X-804, I decided to paint the exhaust stains first. This was a two-part process. The rear-most part of the stain was a white color, while the forward part of the exhaust stain was black and partially hidden under the oil staining. I sprayed both colors using Tamiya paints, thinned to the consistency of a wash using X-20A Thinner. Once these were applied, I used a cotton swap and a little alcohol to give the white stain to simulate the mottled appearance seen in the photos.

The last step is to simulate the oil stains. This was a simple process of spraying Oil and Fuel Stain from Ammo by Mig over the appropriate panels. The panels came out dark and shiny, just like in the photos (I think). I really like how this effect came out, even though it might have come out a little too dark.

Well, that's it for now. Only some small bits to finish and it will be done. Everyone stay safe. Cheers.

• Profile Photo

Love all this weathering, my friend @gblair! The finish line is approaching!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 8 months ago:

Fully agree with Spiros @fiveten.
    This is great looking weathering, George @gblair