Airfix 1/48 Supermarine Walrus

Started by John vd Biggelaar · 141 · 3 years ago · 1/48, Airfix, Supermarine, Walrus
  • Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 years ago:

This weekend I made sufficient progress to call this project "almost finished".
    Just some small touch-ups to be done, after that it should be sufficient to move it to the headlines.

After providing clearcoat and letting it dry for 24 hours, decals were applied. Basically not that much decals are provided, except for the large amount of footstep prints which are applied to the front edge of the wings.
    Airfix did not provide the antenna mast on top of the tail. After searching the box with spareparts I found one which was usable.
    Next the satin coat was applied. Personally I think the paint still looks a bit to shiny, but that could also be the light used while taken the pictures.
    On most of the original photos of the Walrus, you see cables running alongside the fuselage. I did try to reproduce those with sewing thread which I painted brownish. Wondering what you guys think about the look of those cables.

When the latest touch-ups are done I will take some additional pictures and then it is on to the headlines.
    Thanks for watching.

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years ago:

Looking spectacular, my friend @johnb! Decals went on nicely, the satin hue looks nice to my eye. The tonal difference between upper and lower wing is nicely noticeable, too!
    Love the cables, they add up to realism a lot!
    Looking forward to see this beauty reaching the headlines!

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years ago:

Fantastic result! I hope the final photosession will reveal a finish that you find satisfactory - the shine might well be overdone by the lightsource you used here. Splendid work @johnb.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 years ago:

Awesome model, John (@johnb). All of the extra work you have done has really paid off. It has been enjoyable watching this come together.

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 3 years ago:

Looks great, John!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 years ago:

Thanks a lot for all the positive remarks and help during this build.
    It was a pleasure to build and share the results with all of you.
    The final result has moved to the headlines.