Airfix 1/72 B-25D.

Started by John Healy · 68 · 8 months ago
  • Profile Photo
    John Healy said 9 months ago:

I haven’t done any modeling in three months. Home renovations and travel were the culprits behind the work stoppage. I pulled this one from the stash to satisfy my craving to build something, and my new Battle of the Atlantic shelf needs to be populated! This is a nice kit. Amazing detail and engineering in a small package.

9 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 9 months ago:

Yeah, this is one great B-25 kit - 1/48 detail in a 1/72 kit. You're certainly getting the most out of what's there.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 9 months ago:

Great entry and ditto start,John @j-healy
    I'm glad Tom @tcinla mentioned this is 1/72 because the detailing does definitely make it look like 1/48 or even 1/32

• Profile Photo
    Felix said 9 months ago:

Taking a seat and watching with great interest! Eager to see how you do the paintjob, John @j-healy. Your Beaufort was very beautiful and that Whitley looks great- i love the Coastal Command scheme. I have the RAF B25 version and i've been pondering whether to start it next.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 9 months ago:

Great entry and excellent progress so far, my friend @j-healy! Looking forward to it!

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 9 months ago:

These newer Airfix kits are truly nice kits, John (@j-healy). Looking forward to your build.

• Profile Photo

I was able to complete some sub assemblies and got the basic interior painting done. Not sure if this one has enough room anywhere for nose weight. I might end up cheating and adding an extension to the rear crew access hatch door when I install it in the open position.

6 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Nice work on the interior, John @j-healy
    Let's hope you will be able to mount sufficient weight in the nose. Although an open door hatch might look nice as well.

• Profile Photo

Great progress and super looks, my friend @j-healy! Maybe some weight can be added in the engine cowlings?

• Profile Photo

19 grams from one large weight beaten into the gear bay and behind the instrument panel, plus a split bullet sinker and a ball sinker hidden in the bombardiers tunnel. That should do it. If it doesn’t, I’ll put a 13 gram sinker behind each engine. Who knew a hammer could be a valuable modeling tool? Seat belts from tape, dry brushing and washes completed today too. This is another very enjoyable Airfix kit.

8 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 9 months ago:

Looks like you found all the right places to stuff those weights into position. Should do the job. Looking great @j-healy.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 9 months ago:

It is really tough to find spots for weight in a glass nose B-25, John (@j-healy), but it looks like it should sit on all 3 gear now. I just finished a 1/48 B-25 and had to stuff weight everywhere. Do you know how much total weight you ended up putting in your model?

• Profile Photo

Hi George. 25 grams as recommended by Airfix. The bullet weighed 6gr, but I split it in two and part is glued in to the rear of the bombardiers tunnel. The small ball sinker didn’t register on the scale. If I need more, the nacelles will take a good amount.

• Profile Photo

That weight should do it, John @j-healy
    Your work on the interior is impressive and those tape seatbelts do add a lot.

• Profile Photo

Great addition of the weight and ditto overall progress, my friend @j-healy!