Airfix 1/48 Supermarine Seafire FR46/47

Started by Jaime Carreon · 63 · 10 years ago · Airfix, Seafire FR46/47
  • Profile Photo
    Jaime Carreon said 10 years, 6 months ago:

The good - the resin cameras arrived from Barracuda earlier this week. They are as nice as advertized and I think they'll make a good addition to this model.

The bad - while waiting for the cameras to arrive, I started working on the wings. I'm doing the wings extended, so am using the one piece lower wing. I don't know if it was from being in storage for so long or if it was molded that way, but both tips on the lower wing were curled upwards quite a bit on the sprues. There was also no dihedral at all. I dry fitted the upper wings, which helped a bit. Fit to the fuselage is pretty bad, but it looks like I'll be able to get the dihedral back by closing the gaps between the wing and fuselage. The gull section of the lower wing looks good, but doesn't fit well to the fuselage either.

The ugly - there are some pretty serious sink marks on the back side of the contra prop blades that will need to be filled in. The ones for the five blade prop were just fine.

The joys of model building...

• Profile Photo
    Erich Goldbach said 10 years, 5 months ago:

Hi Jaime, I've been following this build with great interest. I recently finished the Mk 46 Airfix kit. Funny, I thought the same thing about the interior, had the photo etched upgrade ready to go and thought "Why waste the time?" You really can't see anything if you paint it black (no 'Stones pun intended). In the end I painted the interior green with the red-brown seat and Sutton harness. I also ran into the crummy fitting wings with no dihedral. Thought I had it figured out but after glue and rubber banding the wings still didn't look right. In the end, for me, it passes for a Mk 46 but will never come close to a competition table or a public posting. That kit build was one of those that just didn't work out as planed...live and learn! BTW in addition to the camera, Cooper/Barracuda studios prop blades an spinner are worth the price as they are light years better than the kit parts. Hope to see your project posted soon.

• Profile Photo
    Erich Goldbach said 10 years, 5 months ago:

Hey Jaime,
    Here are a few photos showing the screwed up wing dihedral and wrong interior color. Like I said live and learn. BTW, so far, the MK 22/24 Airfix kit I'm working on doesn't seem to have the same fit problems...
    Best,
    Erich

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    neil foster said 10 years, 5 months ago:

Hi Erich, I have to say you are being far too critical , that is an excellent build I just got mine finished and am really pleased with it but it's not as good as yours by a mile.
    N.

• Profile Photo
    neil foster said 10 years, 5 months ago:

Like Erich I have been following your build, I got mine finished but have not posted it yet,will try to get it done soon and will welcome your opinion, just as a tip be careful with the decals for the landing gear covers as they are "handed" it took me a while to get them right but if I had paid proper attention to the numbers given on the instruction sheet I would have avoided the bother.

N.

P.S. if you are going to use the resin camera bay why not think about having the hatch open it might look pretty cool.

• Profile Photo
    Simon Whitney said 10 years, 5 months ago:

Hi Jaime, having got this kit in my sash I will follow this a bit more closely.
    So far it looks good mate, I know what you mean when your local model shop closes, it can be a right pain.

Good luck on the rest of the build.

Simon.

• Profile Photo
    Jaime Carreon said 10 years, 5 months ago:

Sorry to be so long away. Haven't really done much to the model in the past few weeks, just have had a lot of things going on and now we're upon the holidays.

I had the lower wing on the bench - both tips were curled upwards about a 1/4 inch from the bench top. It will take a little finesse and an extra hand or two to get them to fit well. That was a little disappointing.

Erich, your model looks fantastic! I think I'm going to do the -46 version as well. I just like the carb scoop better and it has a little color to it with the yellow nose and rudder...

• Profile Photo
    Jaime Carreon said 10 years, 3 months ago:

The hiatus was a little longer than I expected due to the fact we actually had a winter this year, complete with a pair of ice storms and a tad bit of that white stuff. Not normal at all for this part of the world. My shop is in the garage. It got cold enough out there that epoxy wouldn't come out of the bottle...

The resin cameras have been painted and installed. That was a bit of a waste of time, as I painted all that nice detail only to find you can't see any of it once the cameras are in place. But they do look better than empty space behind the clear ports, so it was worth it. I'm glad now I didn't spring for a resin cockpit. I'll join the fuselage halves later today.

Some old fashioned tube glue and a bunch of clothespins got rid of the warp in the wing. There is still no dihedral at all. As I mentioned before, fit to the fuselage is horrible. I found that part #24, a little wedge shaped piece on the lower wing just ahead of the formation lights was keeping the aft end from seating flush with the fuselage. The two cockpit bulkheads were doing the same thing. Some trimming and filing took care of that. Had to shim the right forward edge of the wing (behind the chin scoop) to eliminate a pretty serious step there. I'll be able to get the dihedral back, but there will be some pretty serious gaps that will need to be filled.

A request for help here. Does anyone happen to know the Testor's Model Master equivalents for the extra dark sea gray and sky that I'll need? I've found a dark sea gray and sky gray, but am not sure if those are the correct colors. And Erich, if you're still following this, where did you get your decals?

Will try to get some photos posted later.

• Profile Photo
    Jaime Carreon said 10 years, 3 months ago:

As promised, here are a few photos.

My now famous no dihedral wing!

The Barracuda resin cameras installed. Left side and lower fuselage boxes are cameras, the one on the right fuselage half is the back end of the left side camera.

Left side camera from the outside. Even though all the detail is hidden, it looks much better than just a black hole.

Assembled fuselage. Finally got around to adding the seatbelts. They're made from masking tape with buckles from .020 copper safety wire bent around the tips of my smallest pair of needle nose pliers.

Wing dry fitted to fuselage. Could be much better...

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 10 years, 3 months ago:

The cameras and seat belts make such a difference, Jaime, can't wait to see the finished model.

• Profile Photo
    Jaime Carreon said 10 years, 2 months ago:

Some days you just can't win. Tried to get the 46 wing to fit to the fuselage today and thought I was doing ok until I tried to bend a just a little more dihedral in before gluing it on and broke the wing in half. After a colorful four letter metaphor session, I went to plan B and assembled all the pieces for the -47 wing. I still wanted them in the extended position, so I made some tabs from scrap styrene, gluing them to the upper and lower inboard wing sections so the outboard sections would have some support. The fit was not bad at all, and this wing actually managed to maintain some dihedral. Going to let it all set overnight before I try to fit the wing to the fuselage.

Paint is on the way, and I have a question for you FAA experts. Were the black and white Korean theatre stripes on the 800 squadron airplanes painted on in the field or before the squadron deployed to combat? I like to think they were applied with a brush in great haste on the hangar deck...

• Profile Photo
    Gregor d said 10 years, 2 months ago:

Jaime,

Looking forward to seeing your Seafire completed. I've got this kit and put it all back in the box after a dry fit trial on the main components. The wings to fuselage fit was horrible on my example, and i forsaw large amounts of filler and filing on the horizon! Hope this isn't the case with yours. As to the question of the invasion stripes i'd imagine they were aplied pre theatre ops as i can't envisage guys painting up airplanes on a carrier at sea - its hard enough on dry land. The old saying "Ship shape and Bristol Fashion" springs to mind - just my tuppence worth 🙂 ! They (stripes) come as decals in the kit don't they? During WW2 many of the D-day aircraft had the stripes applied with mops, and were less than uniform. Go with your gut in lieu of hard and fast evidence.

• Profile Photo
    neil foster said 10 years, 2 months ago:

Greg, the fit issues that you mentioned are endemic with this kit but they are easily overcome, if you want a 1/48 Seafire then this is it my friend.
    Cheers N.

• Profile Photo
    neil foster said 10 years, 2 months ago:

Hey Jaime, The Royal Navy take great pride in there equipment,obviously only someone who was there at the time would know for sure what they looked like but if I was a betting man i'd say they were very neat ,razor sharp lines.
    N.
    P.S. I've got loads of unwanted decals for this kit including the Black and white stripes,by the way your aircraft will still be correct if you decide to omit the stripes altogether.

• Profile Photo
    Jaime Carreon said 10 years, 2 months ago:

Gregor, I will have to agree with you. Fit is absolutely horrible on just about everything I've assembled on this one. The 40 year old Revell A-20 I finished a while back went together better than this. The way I look at it, setbacks like this are what build your modeling character! Having said that:

The new wing was mated to the fuselage this afternoon. It came out pretty well, considering it was plan B. The join at the upper wing fold lines came out very well, though there is a bit of a gap on the bottom. I may leave it be after I see what it looks like with some paint on it. The wing to fuselage joint on the right side was fairly good, but on the left side there was a pretty good gap from halfway down the fuselage all the way to the trailing edge. I filled that in with some scrap styrene shaved to fit. Needless to say there will be quite a bit of filler needed here. My consolation is that the seam is along a color separation line. so it will be easier to hide! Horizontal stabilizers are not a tight fit at all, so I'll add those after I finish sanding the putty off the wings.

Neil, I think you may be right. The few photos I've seen of these airplanes show the stripes to be pretty straight. I don't know what shape my decals are in (they look ok, but you never know), so I may be taking you up on your offer!

A few mental notes:

1. If I ever have a brain fade and decide to do this kit again, I'll get the Barracuda resin prop. You haven't lived until you've filled and sanded dimples on the backs of six miniscule propeller blades.

2. I know now why I like 1/32 scale. Gluing the torque links onto the landing gear struts was an exercise in middle aged eyesight failure. I was lucky enough not to launch them off into space while trimming them off the sprues, and smart enough to leave the struts on the sprues while assembling them. I have no idea what I'm going to do with those itty bitty catapult hooks...

3. Superglue is wonderful stuff when working with ill fitting wings.

The build continues...