Airmodel 1/72 Heinkel P.1078C Resin

Started by Spiros Pendedekas · 142 · 3 years ago · 1/72, Airmodel, Heinkel, Luft '46, P.1078C, resin
  • Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 7 months ago:

Before cutting the canopy, repeat after me; "I'm one with the force, the force is one with me, I'm one with the force, the force is one with me, I'm one with the force, the force is one with me, etc"

Having done that for a day or two, the operation will be super smooth my friend - may the 4th be with you -oh c**p, its september. . .

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 7 months ago:

May the force drive my fingers, my friend @airbum!

Tonight will be the night! Let's hope that "the song attributed to this night" will be Shalamar's A Night To Remember!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 years, 7 months ago:

Wishing you all the best for this next step, Spiros.
    For sure you will get it done.
    The interior looks great.

• Profile Photo

Thanks my friend @johnb!

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 years, 7 months ago:

Vac canopies are evil, Spiros (@fiveten), especially if you have just one. Be sure your Karma is in sync with the universe! I am sure your skills will overcome the beast!

• Profile Photo

Thanks George @gblair! Promise to do my best, Sir!

• Profile Photo

Subtle weathering...

...and a tad of gun gases effect on the surrounding area...

and a bit more undersides...

...and off to the paintshop for the final coat!

• Profile Photo

Coated!

Satin towards gloss finish, as this would have been suggested by the speed requirements from this mini fighter:

Drying...
    Some minor touchups, mainly at the wheels to be done and the canopy...

• Profile Photo

Canopy time!

I first cut the canopy well away from its borders and then sanded it down (inasmuch as a vac kit part) until I reached its frame borders:

A trial and error process then took place, until I was satisfied with the result.
    I then applied some white glue and let the canopy rest in its position:

After the glue cures, I will use more white glue to fair the canopy at the fuselage join area.
    Looks acceptable so far...

• Profile Photo

Crisp and clear. . .

• Profile Photo

Vacanopies (not all of them, as some are cloudy, some yellow quickly etc..) can turn out very clear at times, my friend @airbum!

Add to this (among others) the facts that:

1. Not all injected canopies were well made.

2. They were usually thick, posing an obvious "out-of-scale" toyish look when modeled opened...

...and we may understand the mythical praise they had (and at times still have) 10-20 years ago, when they were fashionable at their peaks.

Their above drawbacks, though, combined with the fact that they were not easy to detach from their sheet and trim-to-fit, made many (most? all?) modelers wishing injected thin and clear transparencies...

Most of the times, modern kits deliver!

Ok, just my usual blahblahblah to accompany your coffee, my friend!

Thanks for liking!

• Profile Photo

The coffee is good. . .

On the matter of vac-form canopies, they are an easy way to make some rare things at a small price, and I do have a few for 109's hanging around. As they are from the happy days og vac-bonanza, many are for sold-out kits, but a few will be used in some forthcoming builds. thanks for the thoughts to go with the coffee my friend 🙂

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 years, 7 months ago:

Looking at the results, you can for sure treat yourself with a great cup of coffee to relax and enjoy the beauty of this build, Spiros. @fiveten
    Canopy fit is great.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 years, 7 months ago:

You make the work on the canopy look easy, Spiros (@fiveten). Mine never seem to go that easy and look that good. But you are correct that plastic canopies also seem to have their own set of problems. I always worry about making masks for vac canopies.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 3 years, 7 months ago:

Canopies are my downfall too, and I too cringe at the thought of using a vac canopy, even though I have in the past. At times I would rather stick my finger in an electrical outlet than to deal with them... No I don't really do that... just kidding. That could be lethal.

It has been a few days since I have checked in here, and this little jewel is done ! It looks fantastic and I like your color choices. It is definitely a plane that you never see built up, and you have hit a home run with it.