Arma Hobby 1/48 Hurricane IIc

Started by Tom Cleaver · 20 · 8 months ago
  • Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 9 months, 1 week ago:

When the two kits arrived Friday, one look at one of them convinced me to start right in.

When I saw the lower rear fuselage was separate, an idea struck me build a Sea Hurricane IIc. The Airfix Hurricane Sea Hurricane part fit perfectly with only a modicum of modification to angle the edge so it would fit to the model.

The "trick" to this kit is following the instructions. Be sure all sprue attachement points are cleaned up and the mating surface is smooth. Take care in assembly and I only needed CA glue on the centerline of the forward fuselage, and that might have been due to me not getting the fit perfect.

The surface detail is incredible. You can't see it without painting the model, but you can feel it. Scale raised rivets on the wings, all detail very petite and accurate.

This is the best Hurricane kit in any scale.

You don't have to wait for the release of the kit as a Tropical IIc if you have aftermarket decals. Everything for all versions of Hurricane IIc are in the kit now.

7 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 9 months, 1 week ago:

Awesome entry, my friend @tcinla! Looking forward to it!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 9 months, 1 week ago:

Great entry, Tom @tcinla
    My favorite Hurricane type, looking forward to it.

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 9 months ago:

Looks great, Tom.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 9 months ago:

Here it is painted. I think you can start to see the incredible raised detail on this amazing kit through the paint.

5 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Steven Corvi said 9 months ago:

Nice Start. I have this one in my to do pile this month. I will be reviewing it for IPMS USA . I think it will be alot like the 1/72 IID I did a few months back?

https://reviews.ipmsusa.org/review/hurricane-mk-ii-d

Steve,

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 9 months ago:

Really nice painting, Tom @tcinla
    The detailing is amazing.

• Profile Photo

It's like the 1/72 kits - I've done the Mk.I and Mk.IIc - this has more detailed surface detail, since it's bigger. I have another one I am going to do as a Hurribomber IIc Trop.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 9 months ago:

Fantastic job so far, my friend @tcinla!

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 9 months ago:

Looks awesome, Tom (@tcinlat). I just got this one in the mail last week. If I can ever finish my Kingfisher I hope to move the Hurricane near the top of the build list.

• Profile Photo

Here's "Nicki" finished.

This airplane is the best example I know of how most "research" is conducted: follow the leader. Which isn't a good idea when the "leader" done screwed the pooch.

Back in 1973, when Airfix brought out their 1/24 Hurricane, they did a book about building the kit and the things you could do with it. A Very Well Known British Modeler modifed the kit into a Sea Hurricane IIc, and declared it was all white, despite every photograph he might have looked at screaming "No! You're wrong!" The lesson there is LOOK a the friggin' photo and SEE what's there. For the next 30 years, nobody did that (but me when I did this plane using a Hasegawa kit back in 1998).

In fact, the photos of 835 Squadron Sea Hurricane IIc's reveal the white Atlantic camo was overpainted on the standard FAA scheme, with the white wrapping around the nose and the wing leading edges. Someone then decided that "Nicki" had D-Day stripes on the lower wing despite there being no photograph of her that way (this was "extrapolated" from a photo of another airplane tipped up on its nose.

Then there is the matter of misidentifying the airplane regarding markings. It took me a whole 10 minutes with Der Google to find the interview done in 1999 with Lieutenant Allen Burgham in the old Navismagazine site, the guy who was flying Nicki in March 1944 (before D-Day) when he shot down a Ju-290. As he said in the interview, he couldn't understand why people kept saying "Nicki's" codes were "7-N" and the serial was "NF691" when "my logbook clearly records Nicki as 7-K and serial NF672."

Like I say, it took 10 minutes asking Google for photos of Sea Hurricane IIcs and then clicking on the one that took me to the old Navismagazine page.

So, using the kit decals for the national markings and cutting up the "N" on the Aeromaster "Hurricanes at War Part 1" to create a K, and piecing together letter and number decals to get "NF672", here is Nicki correctly painted and marked.

Full review Thursday at Modeling Madness.

5 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 9 months ago:

TC @tcinla: You amaze me how fast you are. "Nicki" came out very very nice. This looks like a fantastic kit. I'm going to place an order right now for the tropical version. You've convinced me.

• Profile Photo

Remember, all versions can be made by what's in the kit.

• Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 9 months ago:

TC@tcinla: so much for self control - I just preordered one, plus I have a few sheets of appropriate decals in the dungeon to put to good use. Seems like with all the buzz, this new ArmaHobby Hurricane series might just end up the 1/48th model of the year!

• Profile Photo

Very very strong likelihood.