Arma Hobby Hurricane Mk.IIc, 1/48, 'Czech Night Hawk'

Started by Harvey R. · 36 · 8 months ago · 1/48, Arma Hobby, Aviation, Hurricane
  • Profile Photo
    Harvey R. said 9 months ago:

Thank you!

Laying Down Some Paint

I added up some pre-shading, mostly grey, and got to work spraying the metal areas.

When the 'Tamiya' Rubber black was applied (I ended up mixing a few of the MRP's together to make a colour about the same as Tamiya's rubber black just because I prefer working with the lacquer paint) it has left some variation, it's a bit more lighter than perhaps I'd like but I reckon if I went for a darker colour then it would end up looking too much like a die-cast monotone model.

Final bit for today was to add the yellow fuselage roundel, the large style roundel was painted over as the night fighter scheme went through so many variations. Tomorrow when I go over the fabric parts with slightly lighter MRP Rubber this will be overpainted to show the change of markings.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 9 months ago:

Excellent painting results so far, my friend @scalerambush!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 9 months ago:

Very precise pre-shading, Harvey @scalerambush
    The shading looks very nice this way.
    Did you paint the roundel yourself, and if so, how did you mask it.

• Profile Photo

I masked it by being a hoarder, it was a montex mask of some random roundel that I'd already used in a previous build that was the right size which I left in a box with all the other spare decals and masks.

Otherwise I have a cheap circle cutter which is basically a compass with a blade, it's not the most accurate tool but for this task it would have worked fine

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 9 months ago:

Making some great progress on this Hurricane, Harvey (@scalerambush). Black can be a really tough color, but the pre-shade has worked very well. Looking forward to the rest. You need to post your other builds. They sound interesting.

• Profile Photo

The Hurricane has come along quite a bit

Painting and Decals

With the metal parts done previously, I masked off and painted the fabric fuselage in the MRP Rubber. Unfortunately the idea with the yellow roundel overpainting didn't quite work as I over painted it too much, it's very faintly visible in person but not enough for the camera to see.

After that was done I went ahead and started chipping the wing, largely focusing on the wing root, leading edge and cannon access ports. This further helps make some interest on the monotone scheme.

After that it got a clear coat, and decals were applied. These are still settling down but overall worked well despite the highly riveted area around those wing roundels.

Currently while those decals settle down I've been meaning working on some of the crucial extra bits, the propeller has been mostly painted but the yellow tips are needing doing. The pre-order bonus resin cannons have been painted up too, and they simply slot into the wing without any issue and I won't even bother gluing them in since they fit nice and snug. The drop tanks have also been quickly painted up. The resin exhaust stacks are also under going paint, as well as the antenna and pitot tube on the sprue.

Soon it'll be time for weathering, which probably won't make a huge difference against the black background.

On the subject of the decals I'm not sure whether the letter codes are correct, I'll diverge to Arma Hobby's decision on this but the RAF BBMF have painted up a Hurricane in a later scheme that Kuttelwascher's BE581 had which had the codes on the right side still reading JX E rather than the E JX Arma says. I was exceedingly close to changing it around.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 9 months ago:

Looks fantastic so far, my friend @scalerambush! Cannot comment about the codes.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 9 months ago:

Superb progress, Harvey @scalerambush
    I cannot tell anything about the codes either.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 9 months ago:

Your work on this model is terrific, Harvey (@scalerambush). One-color schemes are very difficult, especially black, but you have nailed it. Pre-shading panel lines, or in this case, the over-painting of a marking, are really a one-shot deal. It can be perfect until the last pass with the airbrush, and all of that work is gone. I suspect you could paint the over-painted markings on after you paint the black, but I'm not really sure how to do it. Your Hurricane looks great, even if the over-painted markings are hard to see.

• Profile Photo

Thank you all!

The build is rapidly approaching the end, it's a pretty simple build and obviously has a pretty simple scheme.

A Wash and Little Details

A wash was applied, first a dirt wash which didn't do much, and then a grey wash... Which also didn't do much. That's the trouble with black, any brighter and it'll look far too obvious in my eyes.

Little details such as the camouflaged trim tabs were painted on, some exhaust staining was also added. This came off too strong so I toned it down, maybe a little too toned down but I'd rather than than the alternative.

Finally the antenna, propeller, pitot and canopy are all painted. Next I'll paint up the landing lamps and such and then the clear parts can be applied

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 8 months, 4 weeks ago:

Looks superb, Harvey @scalerambush
    Looking forward to the installment of the caonpy.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 8 months, 4 weeks ago:

Excellent so far, my friend @scalerambush!

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 8 months, 4 weeks ago:

Looks almost ready for the display case, Harvey (@scalerambush). I have had pretty good luck using artist's oil paints to apply spot fading, streaking, etc. Better results I think and more controllable than a wash.

• Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 8 months, 4 weeks ago:

You really nailed this one, Harvey @scalerambush. Black came out terrific and I like how you got the “burnt metal” look on the exhaust stacks.

• Profile Photo
    Harvey R. said 8 months, 3 weeks ago:

Think I'm ready to call this done. Over the last couple days it's mostly been adding the little bits all together to make it finished, such as the non-slip steps, antennas and pitot and canopy.

Not sure why but I found the canopy to be a bit iffy, maybe it was because I ran out of the Micro Krystal Klear and used a Revell equivalent but either way I felt it didn't really line up too amazingly.

Overall its been a fun and pretty quick build, some minor gripes here and there but certainly an easy kit to recommend though I don't recommend trying to find a good camera setting to make black look like it does in person. I'd definitely build it again, I'm sure at some point in the future there will be other versions of the Hurricane.