Arma P-51B/C and Airfix P-51D 1/72nd

Started by Stephen W Towle · 43 · 1 year ago
  • Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 3 months ago:

Great progress and terrific looks, my friend @gblair! Loved the extra braces and all!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 3 months ago:

Very nice progress, George @gblair
    The extra work on the braces is great.
    Never new about compressed paper fuel tanks, doesn't sound too safe to me, thanks for sharing this information.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 year, 3 months ago:

Thanks, Spiros (@fiveten) and John (@johnb). I have read that mid-war the allies realized they were giving the Germans a bunch of scrap metal to recycle due to the metal drop tanks. The P-51s and other planes were dropping these tanks when they entered combat, which was pretty much all the time. They didn't want the Germans to have access to all of this metal they were dropping all over the place. A British scientist developed these tanks made out of compressed paper. I guess they were made of compressed paper that are soaked and hardened in some type of resin. Apparently they would last for several missions before they were replaced, and they were much less expensive than the metal ones. They were also made out of non-strategic materials. So, very cool wartime idea.

• Profile Photo

Indeed, an excellent idea. thanks for sharing this info, my friend @gblair!

• Profile Photo
    Stephen W Towle said 1 year, 3 months ago:

The drop tanks are a interesting observation. Spitfire seats, where made of compressed paper and soaked in resin too. Not all seats where resin/paper but, it was more common. Often the seat was a brown color. For awhile folks thought they where made of Bakelite but, this is not the case. There has been another word that escapes me but, the current thinking is that proper verbage is resin soaked paper seats.Not all Spitfires had the seat some used metal. But, I wonder if the process for the seat and the tanks are one in the same.

• Profile Photo

That's equally interesting, my friend @stephen-w-towle!

• Profile Photo

Thanks, Spiros (@fiveten) and Stephen (@stephen-w-towle). I have seen instructions to Spitfires call out the seat color as brown, but I wasn't sure why. I have even seen them called "Bakelight" seats, but I figured they were talking about the color rather than the material. The bakelight that I have seen "in the flesh" would probably have been too heavy for a seat. Great info, Stephen.

• Profile Photo

@gblair, @stephen-w-towle, this is very interesting information, thanks for sharing that.

• Profile Photo

Hi Stephen (@stephen-w-towle): I just realized I have posted the last couple of posts in the wrong place. They were supposed to go on a group build with Spiros (@fiveten) and John (@johnb). I apologize profusely. I had no intention to barge in on your thread. I will still be following your build, but I will post my future updates in the correct place.

• Profile Photo

Some progress in the cockpit assembly.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Something to watch out for in these Arma Mustangs, with the sprue gates being cast right on the parts. Removing the sprues from the parts such the wings leading and trailing edges requires more TLC, sanding and filing more than other kits.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Before buttoning up the fuselage halves, I do a dry fitting and decided to use the tail with the fillet. The modeler has to cut off part of the fuselage to allow the fillet to fit. This area is flashed over for non-fillet a/c. The tail and rudder are a tab and slot arrangement. Nice.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

For a kit that is in 1/72nd the details are even better than some of its larger cousins.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

This is some very nice detailing indeed, Stephen @stephen-w-towle

• Profile Photo

Awesome detailing, my friend @stephen-w-towle!