Arma P-51B/C and Airfix P-51D 1/72nd

Started by Stephen W Towle · 43 · 1 year ago
  • Profile Photo
    Brian Scott said 1 year, 3 months ago:

Great looking North American projects. Im a huge fan of the P051B 🙂

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 year, 3 months ago:

This kit has a very interesting approach to the tail assembly, Stephen (@stephen-w-towle). I'm not sure if I have ever seen one go together like this. Your results are certainly proof that it works.

• Profile Photo
    Stephen W Towle said 1 year, 3 months ago:

The slot and tab method in the tail and along with the one piece horizonal stabs is a different approach. It helps with alignment and allows for more options with the different tails. Although, if you want a rudder off set your going to have to be more creative. In this scale its a NBD. I know Arma has done some partnering with Eduard and wonder if Eduard would scale up their design for their 1/48 scale series. To B or not to B that is the question. Arma is making some good kits.

• Profile Photo
    Stephen W Towle said 1 year, 1 month ago:

A got some bench time and managed to stuff all the goodies into the Arma P-51. The instrument panel was a lesson in body mechanics. How to appropriately place your (sausage) fingers with said piece and not knock off other pieces and get the piece your gluing to sit properly and be true.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Stephen W Towle said 1 year, 1 month ago:

After shooting the first Quick Boost P-51D seat for the Airfix kit into the 5th Dimension, I was able to order another one from a hobby shop in Poland along with Arma's charming P-39. It took six weeks to make it to my door step but, it here and the detail in this casting is impressive. Still a work in progress.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 1 month ago:

This is a wonderful, wonderful, wonderful Arma cockpit, my friend @stephen-w-towle! Your job on the seat is equally wonderful!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 1 month ago:

This is super detailed, Stephen @stephen-w-towle.
    Cockpit and seat looks amazing.

• Profile Photo
    Stephen W Towle said 1 year ago:

After finding and buying another seat for the Airfix P-51D and waiting several months, I managed to paint up the new seat, cut the resin stump off, add a drop of glue and was half inch from placing it on the kit, when I dropped it. No time to waist, dropping to my knees and then lying on the floor with flash light in hand I found the first seat that I had lost. Still burning day light the search continued and the seat with the super-glue was found. The seat was glued and the day was done. Fate can be rewarding and cruel at the same time.

• Profile Photo

Getting back to the Arma P-51 B/C F-6, I was able to glue the two half's together. It was kind of like packing a suit case stuff with cloths. There is a lot of detail in the cockpit and one must take care in carefully closing both halves. I glued the front half with super-glue and tape and then moving back towards the tail section I used Tamiya thin cement. Each application was quickly followed by tape. I let that set up to sit over night.

The wing to fuselage joint need some sanding and dry fitting. I ended up with a gap at the base of the wing. Were the wing to fuselage meet. Patience is the order of the day. The gap was filled with putty and a little glue.

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 1 year ago:

You've done some really nice work on these two kits Stephen. I think you're going to have very nice results.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year ago:

What our friend @tcinla wrote, my friend @stephen-w-towle : looking forward to this superb dual build!

• Profile Photo

Thank you guys, coming from the most productive modelers on the board is a motivator.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year ago:

Absolutely great progress on both kits, Stephen @stephen-w-towle