Armory Models 1/48 Fairey Flycatcher "early version"

Started by Tom Cleaver · 25 · 2 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 3 years, 1 month ago:

@coling (and the rest) - here is the Flycatcher with final assembly. Needs the rigging is all.

Getting the top wing on was a bit of a pain, particularly finding out in the middle of trying to fit it that there wasn't enough dihedral in the wing to fit the struts! So I scored it on the underside along the rib where that would happen and managed to get it on. When I first got it all together, I thought it looked terrible, but the light of day convinced me otherwise.

As a side note - my monitor died on me earlier this afternoon (having bought it used and used it for 8 years, I am not complaining). Now with the new monitor I realize it was dying for a long time. Amazing what photos look like when the screen is nice and bright.

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 years, 1 month ago:

It has become a very nice Flycatcher, Tom. @tcinla
    What are you going to use for rigging?

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 1 month ago:

Looking great @tcinla!

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 years, 1 month ago:

Looks great, especially the silver fabric. But it has too many wings, Tom (@tcinla)!

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 2 years, 11 months ago:

Well, I finally got around yesterday to rigging the model, using Precision Metal 0.33mm nickel steel wire. I mounted the double wires together before attaching them on the model - something I will do from now on. A bit more time-consuming, but also leads to a more accurate result.

I would say that this is a model for someone well-versed in detailed limited-run kits, with good experience with biplanes, who really likes the Flycatcher. The kit was obviously a labor of love by the designer - lots of "I know it's there even if you can't see it" detail (which I didn't go into) overall a lot of very petite parts that have to come off the sprue with real care. The decal options give you an airplane from every flight on every carrier.

I hope these guys do some other FAA airplanes - like the Hawker Nimrod I and II. Overall a much superior kit to the ancient Artiplast/Pyro/Lifelike/Lindberg kit.

6 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 2 years, 11 months ago:

Great work, Tom. I guess it’s time to ditch my Pyro kit.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 2 years, 11 months ago:

The old kit seems very "klunky" in comparison to this. There are four kits 48001 is the early production Flycatcher; 48002 is the late production; 48003 is the early production with wooden floats; 48004 is the late production with metal floats.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 11 months ago:

A lot of quality work there, @tcinla!
    Looking amazing!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 11 months ago:

Great finish, Tom @tcinla
    That rigging looks great.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 2 years, 11 months ago:

The bright stripes really highlight the wings and fuselage Tom (@tcinla). Great build all around, and the rigging looks terrific.