Arms Hobby 1/48 Grumman F2F-1 "Flying Barrel"

Started by Tom Cleaver · 5 · 8 years ago · Arma Hobby, F2F-1, Grumman
  • Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 8 years, 4 months ago:

If there is one airplane I have wanted a model of for-bloody-ever, it is the Grumman F2F-1 "Flying Barrel," the first Grumman single-seat fighter. Over the years there have been a couple 1/72 limited-run kits that didn't ring my bell. I was beginning to think the airplane had been made of unobtainium.

Then Arma Hobby announced last summer they were going to do a resin 1/48 kit and I got excited. My kit finally arrived here at Le Chateau du Chat this past Wednesday.
    I was so excited I put everything aside and dived right in. The overall quality of the kit is truly amazing. The fuselage has lapped panels, with raised rivets. The upper wing has the ailerons molded slightly-displaced.

I painted the cockpit with Vallejo White Aluminum (a good choice for Aluminum lacquer)
    and proceeded to remove the other parts from the molding blocks, which took about 45 minutes - there are only 26 parts in the kit. By that time, the painted cockpit was dry and was assembled and then the fuselage was closed up and the upper forward fuselage with the cabane struts molded in position was attached, followed by the engine and cowling, and the vertical fin, horizontal stabilizers and elevators, which were "drooped." I thought the landing gear might be difficult, but it assembled and went into place far more easily than the landing gear on the A-M F3F kit.

Overall, this might be the best all-resin kit I have ever seen. If you have ever built any biplane, you can do this, and it is so good and so easy I would recommend it as a first all-resin kit.

If you want one, you can order direct from Arma Hobbies at the URL below. Price is 65 Euros and it's a bargain. As we say in the movie biz, "Every penny is up on the screen!"

http://www.armahobby.com/product/producerList/url/attack-squadron-poland

7 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Bernard E. Hackett, Jr. said 8 years, 4 months ago:

Tom, this is good news indeed! What is that in gringo money? Fighting Two! "Adorimini". Apollo Souchek and the chiefs! Yowsah! I see one of them has the neutrality star, guess they lasted longer than I thought.

• Profile Photo
    Rick Wilkes said 8 years, 4 months ago:

Howdy Tom, thanks for this review, I'd ordered one of these last week, admittedly with fingers crossed. Good to know it was money well spent.
    A couple of quick questions; what's your opinion of the clear parts, and what are your plans for the rigging.
    Hopefully this will sell well enough that Arma produces a 1/48 FF/SF

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 8 years, 4 months ago:

Clear parts are excellent vacuform, no problems there at all. Am planning to use some new .010 stainless steel wire for rigging.

• Profile Photo
    Rick Wilkes said 8 years, 4 months ago:

Thanks for the info Tom, looking forward to seeing it when you have it finished