B-17 ”The Swoose 1944 Model”, Monogram 1/48 B-17G Build

Started by Walt · 102 · 3 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 3 years, 4 months ago:

Walt, @luftwaffe-birdman
    I just went back and read this journal again. You have done some great work here. I have experienced problems in the past with silver paint and also lost a lot of work when tape removed a good portion of the sprayed on red / white tail stripes on an AMT 1/48 scale A-20 Havoc I have. This plane has been setting on the shelf of doom for at least 7 years now. I simply got so frustrated I walked away from it and have yet to go back and finish it up. It had full intentions of covering it in "Bare Metal Foil", to replicate a natural metal finish that was highly polished... and I eventually will some day.

Here's what I'm getting to: You might be able to use some bare metal foil for the leading edges where the de icing boots were removed. They make a color called "Matt Aluminum" and you can alter the shine by spraying on Dull coat or something similar. The more flat coats you apply, the less the intensity of the shine.

Another option to help you with masking, is you can simply wrap your model in household aluminum foil. Tape it along the edges and as long as there are no pinholes or leaks, you will be good to go.

I have used this method and it works fine. Hope this helps.

Your OD Green paint work looks splendid... 🙂

• Profile Photo
    Walt said 3 years, 4 months ago:

Thanks @lgardner I am going to try to do the silver today later, and see how it goes. I have done bare foil on a Monogram B-29 before it took a while but thought it looked great. I have a number of different silvers here to try...I know the dullcote will definitely make it less shiny which is what I am looking for. Wish me luck. Oh by the way I have two of the AMT A-20's...look to be decent kit. How do they stack up?

• Profile Photo

Walt, @luftwaffe-birdman
    The AMT A-20 is seriously under rated. I enjoyed the building part, and I got a set of resin wheels for it. Some think the cockpit and rear gunner's station are too plain. Could be, but I didn't do anything extra with mine. If I didn't have the troubles with the paint peeling away, it would have been finished years ago... I really should put it back on the bench. I think I started a build journal on it here several years ago, but I never went anywhere with it.

Please let us know how the leading edges turn out for you.

• Profile Photo

I just found the link... Here it is. I have since stripped off most of the foil, but the tacky residue needs to be dealt with. The bubbling foil problem was most likely caused by over exposure to hot mid summer Florida sunshine and a mirror in the display case where it was being stored... or possibly oil or mold release agent.

https://imodeler.com/groups/work-in-progress-aircraft/forum/topic/148-amt-a-20-havoc/

• Profile Photo

Louis @lgardner that looks like a fun build, but see what happened to your foil. If I remember correctly it takes alcohol to dissolve the adhesive. Here are some scans of my B-29 from the Nationals in 1982. I foiled it and motorized it. I did a 1/72 scale one for the VP of Boeing after he saw the 1/48th scale one. I like the foil, it looks good, I encourage you to finish...you did some nice work up to that point! Believe me I was tempted to put the B-17 aside...well I did... but I mean pack it up aside not just a little diversion. I am glad I went back to it. It won't be perfect but I know it will be done.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

That's a beautiful B-29 ! Foiled, motorized and at the Nats ? It doesn't get any better than that. Very cool 🙂

I have one I will build for our Korean War group build. Mine is the 1/48 Monogram kit, and I also picked up a set of decals for a plane named "Command Decision". It has a black underside, but previously it was operated over Korea in an overall NMF. I have seen original color pictures of the plane in both versions. I'll be building mine up with a black underside to save some money on the foil.

Thanks for the tips on how to remove the adhesive... Now maybe I'll finish it up. This could be the jolt I needed. Time will tell.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 4 months ago:

That's a beautiful B-29, Walt @luftwaffe-birdman!
    Louis @lgardner, once we clear up some bench space, how about finishing your A-20, me joining you with my AMT P-70?

• Profile Photo

Making some progress, got the leading edges painted silver, although, not without some challenges.

Next I got a decent coat of future on the plane, I will give it a good 24 hours to set up. I still have some paint work to do though, the decal sheets don't have the squadron markings for the Horizontal Stabilizers. I will make a mask based off of the decals

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 years, 4 months ago:

Very nice, Walt.
    Those edges look really sharp.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 4 months ago:

Walt (@luftwaffe-birdman), you seem to have overcome those challenges very nicely. Great that you have the Swoose back in the loop!

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 4 months ago:

Looking absolutely amazing, Walt.
    Waiting for your decals!

• Profile Photo

Walt, @luftwaffe-birdman
    These leading edges turned out very nice ! They look great... I'll bet this one will really start to pop once you put the decals on it.

Spiros, @fiveten
    Yes that sounds like a plan for us to complete our A-20 and P-70 kits. Maybe we can do it in a similar fashion as we are with the Ki-45's and He-219's ? Before we do this however, I would also like to clear off some builds that are currently underway. Sounds like a plan my friend.

Happy New Year gents... 🙂

• Profile Photo
    Tom Bebout said 3 years, 3 months ago:

Just went through your build journal for the Swoosh Goose Walt, and I would say you're doing some excellent work with that old kit. Slow but steady wins the race as the old saying goes. Walt as per AMT A-20's I've build 4 to date and they're posted here on iModeler. Good little kits IMHO, did add AM wheels and the life boat and have one in the stash with the Victor AM navigator station upgrade to get to some day. Keep up the good work.

• Profile Photo
    Walt said 3 years, 3 months ago:

Thanks Tom, @tom-bebout I think the A-20 kits look pretty good too. I picked mine up cheap and have been tempted to build them, I guess I need to find "that" scheme that inspires me to do that. I have already selected my next build a Bf-110G4 Revell Kit. These are also generally very nice kits with good detail and decent fit, despite the odd wing attachment method.

• Profile Photo
    Walt said 3 years, 3 months ago:

Well my LOVE-HATE relationship with decals continues. I struggled with wrinkles again on SOME of the markings others, put on in the same fashion just snuggled down nicely. The main artwork for the nose when sliding it off the paper shattered into many pieces. A chunk fell off the top, and the main disk turned into a palm frond. I was able to reassemble most of it, and then paint in the missing details. This will definitely not be a show winner but I am determined to finish it and issues aside, I am actually liking the way it is looking.

5 attached images. Click to enlarge.