B-17 ”The Swoose 1944 Model”, Monogram 1/48 B-17G Build

Started by Walt · 102 · 3 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 3 months ago:

Coming along nicely, Walt!
    Honestly, the decals final look is great, despite the issues they gave you.
    Funny thing the inconsisting wrinkles, as well as the fact that there were no horizontal stabilizer markings...
    Your B-17 looks Amazing! Looking forward to it!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 years, 3 months ago:

Very nice, Walt.
    The masking of those missing decals turned out great.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 3 months ago:

That is some seriously big decals Walt (@luftwaffe-birdman). All in all you did well as far as can be seen from the pictures.

• Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 3 years, 3 months ago:

Walt: Stopped by for a peek and... wow, as Erik said, those are some seriously big decals. That masking result you made for the stabilizers looks perfect. The Swoose looks like it's ready to fly any day now. Terrific.

• Profile Photo
    Walt said 3 years, 3 months ago:

Well after taking a break to work on my Bf-110, I got back to the Swoose today. Spent a little time starting the weathering. I started with the exhaust staining. I will go back and add a little OD to some of the upper surfaces in the stained areas but this is a decent start. After some touch up I will clear it again and then begin the washes. I think I stained it more than the real aircraft but based on the black and white pictures, I am darker over all and with less contrast between the different OD used in various locations on the aircraft. Things like that sometimes happen when art tries to imitate life.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 3 months ago:

Well Worn Warplane Walt. . . (sorry)

Seriously, great progress on the weathering @luftwaffe-birdman. Very nicely done, and with your touchups it looks like it is going to be a real gem.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 3 months ago:

I agree with Erik, Walt. Even if you leave the staining "as is", it looks great!

• Profile Photo
    Tom Bebout said 3 years, 3 months ago:

Bummer on the decals Walt, but boy she sure is looking good from here. Nice recovery.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 years, 3 months ago:

She will definitely look fantastic at the end, Walt.
    Looking forward to that.

• Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 3 years, 2 months ago:

The staining and weathering looks fine to me and will no doubt tone down just right when you put the final finish clear coat over your Goose.

• Profile Photo
    Walt said 3 years, 2 months ago:

I have spent two sessions doing washes on the aircraft. I can't say that my photographs really show the improvement, but it does make a difference. The wash filters the base colors and flows into the panel lines. After about six hours of work, I am pretty happy with it. I still have work do to on the "stars and bars" they need to be weathered more and toned down to match the rest of the finish.

5 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 2 months ago:

Those washes do show and they loik amazing, Walt.
    The result is very realistic.

• Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 3 years, 2 months ago:

Yes they really do.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 years, 2 months ago:

Those washes definitely show improvements, Walt.
    Very nice results.

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 3 years, 2 months ago:

What you mean the photographs don’t show the difference? You bet they do! It’s a very realistic weathering in my humble opinion. And besides the Stars ‘n Bars weathering perhaps some fine (and I do mean extra-fine) chipping showing the primer or some aluminum beneath? I’m sure there are several images in the web showing that wear ‘n tear of the Fortress. Hope you don’t mind, but your paint and patina is so good that it would just be the icing on the cake