Bf-109 J / Ha-1109 conversion, SBS-model 1/48 FINISHED

Started by Erik Gjørup · 125 · 1 year ago · airbum, Bf109, Ha1109, sbsmodel, Tripala
  • Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 8 months ago:

Looks great My friend @airbum!
    OF COURSE I love the resin resque operation!
    This is a super build!

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 7 months ago:

Thank you my friends (@fiveten) (@gblair)

I will have a few days off shortly, and hopefully some hours will be spent on this one. Stay tuned!

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 6 months ago:

Thinking of flappin’ and fitting

It is time to re-visit this build, and I go into deep-thought mode

What to do about the radiatorflaps? And some testfitting of, and fiddling with, the resin parts. Oh yes, and the undercarriage gets installed.

The radiator flaps on the new Tamiya 109 can be positioned two ways; fully up and closed or fully down and open

Now, that will do for most builds, but really, only two positions. That screams to me that I have to locate them somewhere else!

I have installed the guides for the up/closed position, but that is just to be able to install the radiatorparts.

I shall have to cut both guides to enable another position, as this is to be displayed in the hot Spanish Sun.

And then it is on to the resin parts. In order to test-fit these I glued the legs in place (fantastic solution by Tamiya for a sturdy assembly that will stand up to the weight of the resin without any problems . . . . I think)

Having dryed overnight it is right side up

And the resin gets trimmed with a sharp blade, avoiding any dust, just cutoffs!

The nosering did not fit properly the first time, so it was removed, some finetuning taking place, and a testfit showed the need for more work, but that is just minor adjustments. I think I have to get some Epoxy to mount the parts, as it was all to easy to remove the ring.

(That ring is by the way one of the differences between the 1109J and 1109K, the J being without it and having another cooler/radiator arrangement – fingers crossed that SBS will supply the J some day)

With that in progress I have to get some Epoxy before progressing with the resin, the plastic will be next in line

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 6 months ago:

That's some really nice progress, my friend @airbum!
    I love those radiator flaps!

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 3 years, 6 months ago:

Looking good!

• Profile Photo

Thank you for the kind words gents. Appreciated.

Spiros, I may have time to work a bit more on them this evening, time will tell 🙂

• Profile Photo

Cooling

Modified the radiator parts to depict a cooling position

These things were automatic, meaning if the temperature was high, they were open, no matter where the flaps were at. Neutral flaps and hot water meant that the upper one extended above the wing, the lower one below the wing to let air through

After cutting off the locating taps (a very small portion left in place to make a stronger bond) the cover was placed on a piece of Evergreen.

And LqS were used as a filler

The extended option was glued to the upper part

And cuts were made

And some testfitting

It will need some armchair aviation to determine if it looks right as in photos, some more adjusting, and glue – probably aided by LqS (Liquified Styrene for those that did not catch that abbreviation elsewhere.

I think at least it will cure overnight, perhaps a week – stay tuned to find out

• Profile Photo

That's some good progress, my friend @airbum!
    I cannot comment about the exact accuracy of the cooling flaps posture, but they sure look VERY impressive! Up to you to finalize them!
    LqS cures perfectly overnight, and I can see you start to embody it at your modeling technique portfolio!

• Profile Photo

Spiros (@fiveten) my friend- more LqS in a minute 🙂

• Profile Photo

On a roll. . .

With the discovery of the joy of LqS (Liquified Styrene) I can’t stop!

While trying to adjust the efforts from yesterday, I found that the flap had been placed a bit on the high side, and in order to make it look a bit more realistic, I added some LqS

That will now cure a day or five

But while I sat with the lamp and the model, I was not entirely happy with the fit of the resin/styrene assembly on the right side

And so some LqS was used here as well.

The left side had been repaired with a piece of evergreen and sanded smooth, so no problem there.

next time around I hope to have the radiator flaps installed, perhaps even the resin parts, but I will either need gap-filling CA or Epoxy for that

• Profile Photo

Nice steps my friend @airbum!
    You went a step ahead and used liquefied styrene to fill a styrene/resin gap!
    That's a first, though you might need a final microfilling with some thick cyano?
    Waiting in anticipation to see the result!

• Profile Photo

Spiros my friend - we can't leave you waiting too long! Actually the intention was to fill a step, not a gap, but in the process some of the LqS spread onto the resin.

Some more LqS and it will be fine (sanded with coarse stick, then scraped and finally sanded with a medium sandingstick.

• Profile Photo
    Walt said 3 years, 6 months ago:

@airbum, I like the build, and have been watching. I really am most curious about the material you call Liquid Styrene. What is it? Can you show a picture of the product? I am just wondering if it is available here in the US or a similar product. Keep on posting!

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 years, 6 months ago:

Additions look great, Erik (@airbum). You and Spiros are becoming the LqS gurus!

• Profile Photo

Walt (@luftwaffe-birdman), Spiros (@fiveten) had a link to a youtube video in one of his posts a while back, and Louis (@lgardner) has been using it too.

It is simply Thin glue (the thinnest you use for your builds) and pieces of styrene cutoffs. You mix these in a glass with an airtight lid, leave it, and when it is all a big liquid blob, it is ready to use.

And if it is too thin, you add sprue, if it is too thick, more glue is needed. I think Spiros is using another product to liquify it with.

I think it is perhaps time for a topic in one of the "how-to" groups - I have postet an update to my "109 Werke" topic yesterday with a few pictures that explains the procedure.

Rather simple really, works great, is cheap and you make it at home with stuff you have and stuff you would normally throw away - what's not to like 🙂