Bismarck Sighted !!! 1/48 Monogram PBY-5 Catalina that spotted the Bismarck, for David Thomas

Started by Louis Gardner · 38 · 2 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 4 years, 4 months ago:

Hello George, @gblair
    I agree with you... the PBY that Jaime posted is very cool looking. As far as the paint company you need to buy stock in... I'll be using Model Master enamels. Unfortunately, most of the colors I need have now been discontinued since the Rustoleum Paint Company purchased Testor's, which happened to be the parent company that produced the Model Master paint line.

It would really be nice if they decided to bring them back... I'm old school and really like using my enamels.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 4 years, 4 months ago:

What prompted me was that late last night I was browsing through David Leigh Smith's @dirtylittlefokker postings that were titled "On this day". As luck would have it, I happened across a photo that he posted of the actual PBY that I'm going to build for David Thomas. @davidathomas

Here she is, in all her glory... This is perfect and will help considerably, as the instructions for the decals were not sure which type of lettering "font" was to be used for the aircraft serial number. This answered that question for me, and then a few more...

Take care everyone and Merry Christmas to all...

as always, comments are encouraged.

• Profile Photo
    Jaime Carreon said 4 years, 4 months ago:

George, this is the 1/72 scale Academy PBY-4.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 3 years ago:

My dear friend David Thomas contacted me today, telling me that he is now on his way to Ecuador as a missionary. He asked that I complete this build for him.

It seems that I always get busy doing different things, and before you know it, almost a year and a half has gone by since the last update was posted... I am sorry that I have not done anything to this kit in such a long time... Forgive me David. I gave you my word, and I will live up to it.

Ironically, several days ago I made a trip to see my friends who are restoring a PBY that is credited with 3 U-Boat kills. This PBY has been modified from it's original wartime configuration, to a more "civilized" civilian aircraft. One such modification they did not long after this PBY was sold by the US Navy, was to delete the nose turret...

Now I am happy to report the turret has been rebuilt and is now back on the nose. Here are a few pictures of the progress.

Hopefully, in a little while, I can report some progress on this model too...

As always comments are encouraged.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years ago:

That's a nice update, my friend @lgardner!
    I have two unbuilt Revell Catalinas:

...trying to find an excuse to build them!
    Who knows, after your inspiration here, I might be clearing some bench space...

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 years ago:

Thanks for the pictures of the 1:1 Catalina, Louis (@lgardner). I'm glad you are restarting this build and I am looking forward to the completion. Like Spiros (@fiveten), I have been dragging a number of the large Monogram/Revell kits around for a long time, and one of these days I plan to build all of them.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 years ago:

Good to see you continuing this Catalina, Louis @lgardner
    The pictures show the Dutch Catalina (Karel Doorman), registration number PH-PBY, until it was sold to the American Collins Foundation (Massachusetts) in 2018.
    Good to see that the turret is back.

• Profile Photo

Spiros, @fiveten
    These two kits of yours would be a welcome addition to this build journal. I have built the exact PBY-5A model as the one you have. It was done as part of the Midway group build that we had about three
    years ago. It is a nice model to build.

Should you decide to open them up, clear off some bench space, and start documenting the build, that would be fantastic. If not, I understand that too, as you can only build so many models at one time... then you run out of space.

I have a lot of pictures showing the inside of a Catalina that I took a while ago. Should you decide to start building yours, I can share what I have with you. Expect more activity on this Catalina once I finish the big Uhu and smaller Moskito / Mosquito dual builds for the De Havilland group.

I have a regular PBY-5 flying boat, and a PBY-5A amphibian. In order to use the decal set I have had for a Cat that operated out of NAS Jacksonville, I will have to modify the amphibian to a flying boat by removing the landing gears, and building some shore dollies. The easiest way would be to look for another PBY-5 Flying Boat. So I might just do that, since I need a straight flying boat PBY to build a model of the aircraft that spotted the Bismarck. Time will tell.

• Profile Photo

George, @gblair
    Just as I said to Spiros, the offer goes for you too. Should you decide to start one of those big Monogram boxes, please don't hesitate. I have a lot of documentation pictures for various planes. Please don't hesitate to ask or send me a PM.

Also, be on the lookout for a 1/48 scale Ju-52 in the very near future... Thank you VERY much for all of your assistance with this one.

• Profile Photo

John, @johnb
    You are absolutely correct. This is in fact the same plane. It is currently owned by the Collings Foundation. From what my friends have told me, they plan to bring this PBY back to it's former wartime configuration. They want to preserve it's heritage, as this plane has seen combat, and it was credited with sinking 3 U-Boats.

It was circumstantial how this build was rejuvenated. I happened to stop by and visit my friends who are restoring this PBY. Then the very next day I get a message from David Thomas, the gentleman who sent me this kit, along with some others, and he asked that I complete it for him. I am a man of my word, so I will.

Please stay tuned for updates here. Thank you.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 3 years ago:

David:

Having built both PBY kits, if you have the flying boat kit (which is pretty rare nowadays) that is the kit you should use, it is much easier than going through all the gymnastics to convert the PBY-5A back to a PBY-5. The plastic hasn't changed in 20 years (more like nearly 30 now).

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 years ago:

Thanks, Louis (@lgardner). All of my big Monograms are in storage until we move to our new house. I think the first kit I jump into when I get all of my stuff back is the 1/72 B-52 Mothership with the X-15. I have been saving it for a long time. The PBY should come shortly after that.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years ago:

I am in , too, Louis @lgardner: a soon as some bench space is cleared, we are good to go. I hope I can catch up with George @gblair, by the time he will start his one.
    Your Catalina interior pics will be invaluable. Upon starting mine, i will definitely make good use of them. I appreciate your help.

• Profile Photo
    Robert Royes said 3 years ago:

Cat fever! Should I be looking for a 1/72? Never did one.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 2 years, 12 months ago:

Tom, @tcinla
    Other than the fuselage halves being different, landing gear parts, and the beaching gear, I'm fairly certain these kits are very close to being the same. I looked at both kits side by side, and it looks like it will be a fairly simple modification. I should be able to cut away the opening on the sides of the fuselage / hull and replace it with a piece of thicker plastic card. Then I can take my new rivet tool and scribe new rivets. Changing out the nose gear would likely be tackled after the halves were joined, using a plastic card reinforcement on the inside, to keep the doors from dropping inside.

I am hopeful the straight up flying boat will be easier to use the big chuck of resin for the replacement tail section, and not have to worry too much about balancing the model out on it's tricycle gear. Going from memory, I am fairly certain the beaching gear for this plane was the typical tail dragger setup. I will also likely have to use stronger materials for the struts, when I scratch build parts of the beaching gear so it will hold the additional weight of the added resin.

Now, having said this...his famous last words... I will likely find out it this is all much harder to do.