Bismarck Sighted !!! 1/48 Monogram PBY-5 Catalina that spotted the Bismarck, for David Thomas

Started by Louis Gardner · 38 · 2 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 2 years, 12 months ago:

George, @gblair

I hope that your new home is completed in a timely fashion, so you can get settled in and start building again. Your first project sounds like a good one. I have only built two Buff's in my lifetime. One was a tiny kit more like a 1/200 scale as a kid. The other one was the old AMT 1/72 scale version that I built shortly after I returned to the hobby. It was sprayed in overall Gunship Gray using a rattle can, and it's still hanging up in our garage. That's a big plane, even in 1/72. I can only imagine how big one would be in 1/48 scale.

• Profile Photo

Spiros, @fiveten
    Thanks for the enthusiasm that you always bring to this forum. You are most welcome to join in here anytime you would like, as we have done with our Uhu builds and the Toryu's. Speaking of the Toryu's, I did make some progress on them, but I still have to take pictures and download them before I can post an update.

I know that I have way too many projects going on at once, and how I need to finish some up before I crack open another box. I have said this before... when the bug bites me, or another group build is started, and down comes another kit from the shelf. That's how the Pro Modeler Ta-154 was started... simply on impulse. I actually get a lot done that way.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 2 years, 12 months ago:

@lgardner - you're 90% right, but the 10% is the important part. That resin tail is nearly as heavy as the rest of the model, as it is! You need to put on your face mask, activate the blower system to clear the air, take your Dremel and dremel those two parts down about half their thickness, if not a bit more. Then you'll only have to cram weight into every space ahead of the wing except the cockpit. And definitely get the SAC white metal landing gear, because this thing will be heavy on that plastic gear. I speak from experience on all this. I didn't take enough weight out of that tail, and the model eventually broke the main gear. Fortunately I was able to dig out the remains and replace it with SAC metal gear. And it's still barely a tail sitter.

I think if I did another one, I'd just live with the "fat" tail.

• Profile Photo

Robert, @roofrat
    Yes, Cat fever is very contagious... As far as a 1/72 Cat, by all means, go for it !

And you just never know, someday you might see some 1/48 Hobby Boss F8F Bearcats coming down the line at the "Iron Werkes".

Meanwhile here are two comparison pictures, a before and an after picture. It shows just how big of a difference the turret makes.

Before:

After:

Thanks for the comments everyone.

• Profile Photo

Tom, @tcinla
    This is the beaching gear I'm talking about that makes this kit a tail sitter, so no weight will be needed in the nose. I might not have to grind anything if I go this route. I will likely drill some holes in the resin tail to hold the beaching tail wheel in place. This is in reference to the "tail dragger" comment I made in an earlier post.

I will likely make the tail wheel strut using brass rod and solder the parts together. This will eliminate the need to grind out the inner portion of the resin tail. The other PBY-5 Monogram kit I have includes these beaching parts in plastic, so I will have a pattern to go from.

Somewhere I have a color photo from WW2 that shows the beaching gear struts were painted red.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 2 years, 12 months ago:

Oh, yes, the seaplane-only is no problem. My travail with the amphibian is locked in memory. You'll have no problem with that,

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 2 years, 12 months ago:

The beaching gear is a great way to display the PBY, Louis (@lgardner). The perpetual problem with seaplanes is how to display them, and this is a good answer.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 2 years, 12 months ago:

Great stuff that this boat is moving again Louis! And the weight in the tail will ensure it stays on deck 🙂