Brewster B339 Buffalo (Tamiya 1/48), KNIL 1942

Started by John vd Biggelaar · 152 · 9 months ago
  • Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 11 months, 3 weeks ago:

@gblair, thanks, George. Painting and decalling is indeed a nice part, detailing the interior however is the part I usually like the most.

@eb801, thank you, Eric. This is indeed a very enjoyable kit. Perfect engineering from Tamiya that time.

@fiveten, thanks, Spiros

@brithebuilder, fully agree on the learning and having fun part. Hard to believe that I stepped out of this hobby for so many years but I'm glad I restarted it five years ago.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 11 months, 3 weeks ago:

The window in the lower side of the fuselage is fully masked now and mounted, great fitting.
    Now the large canopy of the Buffalo needs to be masked, which is an extensive task as well.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 11 months, 3 weeks ago:

Great progress and superb masking, my friend @johnb!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 11 months, 2 weeks ago:

@fiveten, thank you, Spiros. Time comsuming unfortunately, but very helpful.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 11 months, 2 weeks ago:

That is a lot of small masks!

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 11 months, 2 weeks ago:

Great masking, John (@johnb). I almost won't build a plane unless I can find a pre-made mask for it. The good news on this model is that it isn't 1/72. Can you imagine? If I was a pilot flying the Buffalo I'm not sure I would have liked having a big window in the floor.

• Profile Photo
    Michael Turner said 11 months, 2 weeks ago:

G'day John (@johnb),
    I've just seen this build thread.
    I does look like a great kit.
    I built a 1/72 Buffalo in Dutch markings way back in my youth and I'd like to build another in 1/48 one day.
    I have the Special Hobby kit (Finish markings) in the stash, so maybe I should get one of these and do a double build.
    I'm looking forward to the rest of the build.

• Profile Photo

@airbum, that's for sure, Erik. Canopy is next with slightly larger masks.

@gblair, thanks, George. A pity they were not pre-cutted. Having a glass floor underneath you while flying is not likely a comfortable situation.

@michaelt, thank you, Michael. So far this kit is a pleasure to build. Love to see this 1/72 Buffalo as well as your next build in 1/48.

• Profile Photo

Canopy masked as well and mounted to the fuselage. Using a very "advanced" but definitely practical technique to keep it tight while drying.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 11 months, 2 weeks ago:

Excellent masking and 100% safe mounting of the canopy, my friend @johnb!

• Profile Photo
    Brian Mennenoh said 11 months, 2 weeks ago:

@johnb - The rubber-band is still one the best hobby tools we have. Your masking is very nicely done. I can't imagine trying to hand paint the frame without!

• Profile Photo

@fiveten, @brithebuilder, thank you.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 11 months, 2 weeks ago:

Rubber-band plane? I recall rubberbandpowered planes from my youth, but that is another story. Some framecolor and then it is on to the paint - exciting!

• Profile Photo

@airbum, thanks, Erik. Unfortunately the performance of the Buffalo was close to a rubber-band powered plane.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 11 months, 2 weeks ago:

It is starting to look like an airplane, John (@johnb). Almost time to paint.