Cessna 172P OY-CFJ, Greenland FINISHED

Started by Erik Gjørup · 96 · 3 years ago · 1/48, airbum, arctic decals, Cessna, Cessna172, GLAF, greenlandair, grønlandsfly, Haldværk, halfworks
  • Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 10 months ago:

Almost nearly there

Getting closer – just had some nice sun today so I took a few pictures outdoors

And with that I think I will wrap this thread up – I added the HF-wires today, still need to add a few VHF, GPS, ADF and ELT antennas, and finish and clean up the paint, but that will be another day – enjoy the pictures.

Look, no hands (to keep the nose down)!

It is now parked in eyeheight to remind me to finish it – even though at a distance without glasses it looks fine to me, reminding me of the first “corporate colors” I have designed (I’m also responsible for a Rockwell Comander)

Hope you enjoyed the ride – just got a Esci 172 that may get some TLC so this is not the last 172 you see here – and I think perhaps a few of my friends may embark on a Cessna build one day 🙂

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 10 months ago:

That's an exceptional build, my friend @airbum!
    A really unique scheme, a joy to watch.
    Caught the 172 (even more so the Mescalero!) infection too, couldn't help it after your WiP here and all those retired and non retired beautifully painted HAF Mescaleros a false kilometer away from my office, waving at me.
    Well done reviving your memories in such style!

• Profile Photo

A Mescalero is a great project. Will need quite a bit of modification, but with the PFP QC scratchbuild section that should be relatively easy.

I have bought a modification to the Tarangus SAAB Safir to make an early version, and that will free up the cowling and propeller for other uses, so I might just follow along that path, but it will be some days away as the 109's are very grumpy by now, so I have to finish a few of those first.

A friend of mine is into resin casting, and if there is any interest I may pursuade him to make a mold for the needed parts. Or perhaps we will need to cast in metal to counter the tailsitting tendencies.

Thank you for the kind words and comments during this build Spiros (@fiveten) my friend.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 years, 10 months ago:

This build has been a terrific journey, Erik (@airbum). The antennas and wires added are certainly subtle. A Mescalero would be a cool project. My wife was a military instructor at the USAF Flight Screening Program in Texas for 4 years when they used the Mescalero. I have posted some photos on iModeler, or let me know if you need them and I can post them again. There are some really cool paint schemes out there, Greece for one, which are much more attractive than the plain white scheme used by the USAF. I built a Mescalero for my wife when she was in Flight Screening that came out well, but then later took an unscheduled flight off her desk and failed to reach flying speed before it impacted the floor. Oops.

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 3 years, 10 months ago:

Beautiful model there Erik, you should be proud after all the work you put into that unique Cessna, Bravo!

• Profile Photo

Thank you George (@gblair). Should you wish to make a new one for your wife, I am thinking of making a few resin or metal parts for one. I have no experience in this and will need some help - Fortunately I know some guys that has tried both before. Apart from the propeller the nosewheel needs to be larger as all three are 6x6.00 on a Mescalero. I have some great pictures from Greece, and yours of a USAF example as well. (more pictures are welcome on my mail if anyone out there has some - send me a PM to get the mailadress)

Pedro (@holzhamer) Thank you for encouraging words. I think in due time I will revisit the theme of Cessna 172's, but for now the 109's are flocking on my desk.

• Profile Photo

Do I see a Mescalero mini group arising? @airbum @gblair

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 years, 10 months ago:

Spiros (@fiveten) and Erik (@airbum), I could see a Cessna mini-group in my future. We could broaden the span perhaps to include the Cessna tail-draggers, the C152, C172, C182, the T-41, and perhaps the old Cessna Bobcat, etc. Could be fun, but you guys set a pretty high standard. I'm almost 70 years old, and I can only run so fast to keep up with you guys. :o)

• Profile Photo

George, do I sense a Cessna Piston GB looming? Lets hear it - clearly it would not at all be as big as EoJ or Korea, but lets hear some opinions! Just to try it out, we could ask friends etc?

@fiveten @holzhamer @lgardner @uscusn @gblair @kalamazoo @pb_legend @gkittinger and @michel-verschuere springs to mind as most of you at one time commented on this build. Anyone else you can think of that may have an interest.

Should it be a real GB or some sort of the GBGB that Louis has started within EoJ (Ki-44 as far as I recall?)

As for dates, Cessna Aircraft Company got its name in 1927, making a 100th anniversary GB loom in the far distance. As for the Cessna172, the "Cessna170 type 172" appeared in 1955, and the first "real" Cessna172 came in 1960.

• Profile Photo

I am definitely in, ready to start with a Cessna 150! @airbum & @gblair
    And "Cessna Piston GB" is an imposing title!

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 3 years, 10 months ago:

Erik (@airbum)
    I don’t have a Cessna in the stash and the only one I am seriously considering building is this one

ICM launched is the first version of this push-pull just now but they’ll tackle this later version sooner or later, so if that GB idea is around by then... count me in

• Profile Photo

@fiveten, sounds great!
    @holzhamer - the 337 and variants thereof - YES (I might throw in a civil OY-registered one 🙂
    @gblair - thanks for PM saying you are in.

I'll let this buzz over the week-end, maybe a post in headlines, and then we have to set a date to start and for how long it shall run.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 9 months ago:

Got an 1/48 Heller O-2...This is getting better and better, @airbum and @holzhamer!
    Now the waiting is becoming impatience, dear admin!

• Profile Photo
    Allan J Withers said 3 years, 9 months ago:

I want to build a 180 in 1/72, is there one to be had ?

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 3 years, 9 months ago:

I don't have any Cessna's in the stash... But it does indeed sound like a very good idea. Like most people, the very first plane I ever had the experience to pilot was a green and white 172. I had a grand total of 1 hour of stick time in it at the ripe old age of 16. Many years later I managed to squeak out a few more hours, and once again it was in a 172. In between these years, I was very fortunate and managed to grab a little stick time in a PT-17 Stearman, a Ryan PT-22 (that had a very "odd" sounding 5 cylinder radial), and an hour in a SNJ / AT-6.

If I had the chance to live my life over again there would definitely be some changes...and one of these would be to follow through and get my private pilot's license. The cost to obtain a Private license and keep it is what has kept me from doing this so far... Who knows ? It may just happen yet, as I have been thinking about joining the EAA, and the Sport Pilot program is looking very interesting.

I say go for it with your Cessna GB. I think it would be a lot of fun. Float the idea out there in the headlines section and see what kind of response you get from the masses...