Clear prop 1/48 XA2D-1 Skyshark

Started by Tom Cleaver · 26 · 1 year ago
  • Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 year, 7 months ago:

Sorry this has happened, Tom (@tcinla). I know this sort of stuff is frustrating. I have trouble once in a while with a subsequent layer of paint softening the earlier layer. Sometimes the top layer is dry to the touch, but the bottom layer is still soft, causing all sorts of problems later. It always comes after I put on a second layer that is too thick. You mentioned "Easy Lift Off". What is it? Good luck on the repaint.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 1 year, 7 months ago:

After ordering a new battery charger from Amazon, here are photos of the repainted model. Painting that much plastic metal required more paint than a P-51, which is where the likelihood of "orangepeel" comes in. Managed to dodge the bullet this time by making sure to stop every few minutes to let the previous pass dry to the touch, preventing build-up of wet paint. Then letting it cure for 36 hours before masking over it, there was no lift-off.

Now to the decals - of which there are a lot of stencils.

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

@gblair - Easy Lift Off is a paint remover from Floquil (which may mean it is no longer available) that will take paint down to bare plastic pretty quickly, but you have to pay attention because if it sits on the model too long it gets hungry for the plastic.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 7 months ago:

Looking great, my friend @tcinla!
    What a distinctive looking bird!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 7 months ago:

Very nice paintwork, Tom @tcinla
    Looking forward to the decals and the extensive stencilling.

• Profile Photo

Finished. Review Thursday.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 7 months ago:

Turned out fantastic, my friend @tcinla!
    Looks! Looks! Looks!
    Looking forward to the review!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 7 months ago:

Great finish, Tom @tcinla
    Beautiful work on this exceptional aircraft.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 year, 7 months ago:

Repaint looks great, Tom (@tcinla). I had never tried Vallejo for metallic colors, but I used their RLM 01 yesterday and it went on very nicely. I remember Easy Lift-Off now that you reminded me, but I haven't seen it for years. Well done on the completed model.

• Profile Photo
    Sebastijan Videc said 1 year, 7 months ago:

Great job, Tom!

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 1 year, 7 months ago:

Great save on the paint!