Combo build: Ilyushin Il-2 Stormovik (Accurate Miniatures / Revell in 1/48 and Tamiya in 1/72)

Started by John vd Biggelaar · 680 · 1 year ago · Accurate Miniatures, Il-2, Ilyushin, Revell, Stormovik
  • Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 10 months ago:

Thanks my friend @johnb!
    Indeed, yours is the single seater, totally missed it due to my excitement... 🙂
    Yes, Revell reboxed the single seater.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 year, 10 months ago:

I found an Accurate Miniatures IL-2m3 in one of the many boxes still in storage after our move to a new house. After talking to John and Spiros, I hope to tag along with their build, although I will have to really pull out all the stops to approach their level of skill. I am trying to finish a B-17F that I am building, but will be along as soon as I can. It looks like I got this model in a consignment sale, so the first order of business will be to check that all of the parts are present. Looking forward to this build.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 10 months ago:

Great to have you on board, George @gblair
    Your expertise and modelling skills will be very helpful to get the most out of it.

• Profile Photo

What a great entry, our friend @gblair! It is so great that you joined our little team. Your superb skills guarantee a superlative result. Looking forward to it!

• Profile Photo

Thanks to Spiros (@fiveten) and John (@johnb) for letting me join them in this combo build. I will have a hard time keeping up with these two prolific builders, but I will give it a shot. I am trying to finish my B-17F build, but I was able to gather some stuff together and do a little research for the IL-2.

I will be building the original Accurate Miniatures IL-2m3. I bought this kit on consignment from my local hobby shop. It looks like everything is there, so I have my fingers crossed. I found a really interesting set of decals in my stash for this airplane. I also dug out my copy of IL-2 In Action for a little info on the plane.

The plane I chose meshes nicely between the decals and the reference. I want to build an IL-2m3 that was used as a night intruder in 1949 by Yugoslavia. It was originally painted in standard Soviet colors, but was over-sprayed with black. The cool part was that the black wasn't very permanent, so the previous camo and markings showed through the faded and worn black. I think it might be fun to try to replicate this.

OK. That's it for now, over and out.

• Profile Photo

What an excellent choice, George @gblair
    I was not aware that this aircraft was still in use in 1949, and it seems even still used in 1957 by Poland.
    Really looking forward to this far from easy scheme.

• Profile Photo

Thanks, John (@johnb). I did a little research into colors for this plane, especially the interior. As you might expect, the Soviets were scrambling during the early years of the war trying to survive. They had standard camouflage patterns for planes, as well as standard colors, but there are many instances where they used whatever they could get. The plane I chose was a late-war plane and it appears that they actually used standard colors and patterns. The standard colors in this case are AMT1 (Light Brown), AMT4 (Green), AMT12 (Dark Gray), and AMT7 (Light Blue). There will be a faded black or dark gray coat over the standard colors, but black is usually easier to duplicate.

The bigger problem was the interior color. A short trip through the internet wasn't very helpful. The interior color was reported to be light gray, blue gray, silver gray, pale green, or natural metal, all depending on the source. As near as I can tell, the color listed in the regulations was silver gray.

My preferred paints are AK Real Colors, so I checked their list of colors and found all of the required colors in their lineup, including A14 Silver Gray for the interior. My biggest surprise of the day was when I went to my local hobby store and found they had all of the needed colors in stock. Yeah.

• Profile Photo

Really interesting camo choice, my friend @gblair! Cannot wait to see it materialize!

• Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 1 year, 10 months ago:

Great combo idea John@johnb) and Spiros@fiveten!

The Revell instructions look far superior to AM’s and the online buzz critics give both toolings above average marks in the accuracy dept.

I also have that very AM Stormvik kit that George has so I will be following along taking notes. Have fun guys!

• Profile Photo

Thanks our friend @eb801! I agree for the instructions, I also prefer the Revell style, whereas I have to admit that AM instructions are quite rich in "explanation" texts, something that a number of modelers might find helpful.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 1 year, 10 months ago:

Hmmm... I have an even more rare iteration of this kit - Eduard's Il-2M - the fuselage of the Il-2M3 with the wings of the Il-2, to make the early 2-seater. It's been in the box o'doom for a looonnnnnngggg time.

• Profile Photo

@eb801, thanks, Eric. The Revell booklet does indeed give more clear instructions, it would be great to see the information from the AM instructions added as well.

• Profile Photo

@tcinla, would be nice to see that one build as well, Tom.

• Profile Photo

After doing some research, the aircraft that I will be building is a late Il2 variant.
    These aircraft did however have reinforcement ribs at the fuselage as seen in the picture below.
    The Revell kit does not have them, so it seems like some scratchbuilding is required.

And the explenation as shown in the book "Il-2 in action".

• Profile Photo

Looking forward to see your entry, our friend @tcinla! Will be reeeeeeealy nice to see the Eduard "version" build!