Consolidated PBY-4 Catalina; Academy 1/72 scale

Started by Jaime Carreon · 4 · 8 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Jaime Carreon said 8 years, 11 months ago:

While waiting for stuff to arrive for the F4 build, a friend dropped this one into my lap and it was interesting enough for me to get started on it. Not much to say about the build, as it was pretty straightforward with no major problems apart from the fact that I can't see things that small anymore! I've never built a PBY.

The camo was the most interesting facet of this one. There's not a lot of info, and what I did have indicated either an experimental Navy scheme or a field applied camo. Given that these aircraft were in combat in the Philippines just after Pearl Harbor, I tend to lean toward the latter. I had one drawing from the Squadron "In Action" of this scheme, and a grainy photo, none of which even hinted at what the colors might be. I went on the assumption that the airplane was in its original intermediate blue over gray, and that the ground crew used whatever was available to improvise the camouflage. This is my interpretation of someone else's interpretation. Model Master enamels used throughout. If anyone can shed some more light on this scheme, I'd sure appreciate it. It is different.

Doing all the nitty gritty stuff now, should have the model done soon.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Paulo Castro said 8 years, 8 months ago:

Looking good. Can't wait to see it decalled and weathered.
    Cheers

• Profile Photo
    David Hansen said 8 years, 8 months ago:

Oh wow- That looks cool. Reminds me of an F-5E "Aggressor" paint scheme.

• Profile Photo
    Jaime Carreon said 8 years, 8 months ago:

Thanks, David! It is an interesting scheme for sure. The finished model is here:

Consolidated PBY-4 Academy 1/72