Corsair Madness

Started by David Hansen · 7 · 11 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    David Hansen said 11 years, 4 months ago:

Hey Everyone,

Those who know me from the other sites know i have a "Thing" for the F4U.

Here is the state of play from about one year ago.

Since the first shot was taken some progress was made. One of the F4U-1As got finished.

And, the 48th scale Birdcage made it into the painting phase.

Right now, i'm working on finding just the right shade of dasrk blue-gray for a factory-fresh Corsair. Looks very different from the gray you're used to seeing on those well-worn Guadalcanal and Bougainville planes.

More to come.

-d-

• Profile Photo
    Michael Scott said 11 years, 4 months ago:

Looks to me like seven, count 'em, seven unfinished Corsairs... You are really bitten by the F4-U bug. I have to admit, I like them too. I really screwed up a Tamiya 1:48 Birdcage a few years back. I kept the engine (which I had wired) and the cockpit, with Eduard PE, for when I do another. I should get one pretty soon. I did finish a 1:72 Tamiya Birdcage and actually did well with it at the only model show it's been in. I like your stuff. thanks for posting it.

Is it true that Tamiya may release a 1:32 scale F4-U soon. I recall seeing a Tamiya box, but it could have been photoshopped... I had one of their 1:32 Spitfires - sold it. I dithered about getting a Mustang, especially after building the nice 1:32 A6M2. I am afraid that a big Tamiya Corsair would definitely push me over the edge...

• Profile Photo
    Craig Abrahamson said 11 years, 4 months ago:

I posted some detail shots of an F4U5N either in the Headline forum or as a walk-around (maybe both) - not sure which one without lookin' for it, but it's in here somewhere if you're interested.

• Profile Photo
    Editor said 11 years, 4 months ago:

That was easy to look up in your profile. Just testing 🙂
    http://imodeler.com/groups/walk-arounds/forum/topic/f4u5n-corsair/

• Profile Photo

The Tamiya F4U is a nice kit, but its a little over-engineered in order to cater to the spread- and folded-wing option. Most difficulties with building the kit stem from this feature. Also alignment is tricky because the canted vertical fin plus the Vought double-taper planform of the empennage surfaces create all kinds of parallax errors and make them useless for aid in alignment.

My only gripe per se on the 72nd scale version is the right hand flap insert fits poorly on the -1D although it fits better on the -1 and -1A. Tamiya DID slightly tweak the molds in a few places on those later kits.

-d-

• Profile Photo
    Michael Scott said 11 years, 4 months ago:

Thanks for the info. I did have issues with the wing fold - not that serious, but still... I remember that I really messed up with my painting, and that was before I learned to just strip the offending paint and re-paint. I have a number of large and complex kits waiting on the shelf, so I'm not in the market for another F4-U, unless, however, the rumored 1:32 Tamiya kit is actually made and released. Then, I'm in trouble.

• Profile Photo

One is finished, so i'm down to six. For now, LOL

-d-