Crazy Horse TF-51 1/48 Tamiya Conversion

Started by Jim Harley · 14 · 3 years ago · Aviation, P-51 Mustang, Tamiya, Warbirds
  • Profile Photo
    Jim Harley said 3 years, 4 months ago:

Well, first I was waiting on tools for 45, now it’s the decals...yay Post Office. In the mean time I figured I’d gather up some Mustang parts and build up another TF. This time, Crazy Horse. I bought a flight in her back in 1994 that further solidified my love for Mustangs. The TF has two very distinct canopies, the big bulged canopy we joke as the ‘T-28’ canopy and the lower profile and more stock appearing streamlined canopy. I made a new plug to vacuum form the lower profile unit and this is a perfect time to use it. It’s also a good opportunity to use the ‘tall tail’. I started this Friday night and I’m hoping to have it done before I leave for work Monday :). Fun build!

5 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 4 months ago:

Jim @jimh, we are talking about a production line of excellent quality quarterscale TFs here!
    A joy to watch this coming so quickly together!

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 4 months ago:

Jim (@jimh), yet another great pony! Will that be the resin kit you made for the Toulouse Nuts version that gets re-used here? I just stumbled over an article about the Cavalier Mustangs that had the "T-28" canopy, (and the Cavalier/Piper "Enforcer"), just to throw something in 🙂
    Great conversions you got going!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 years, 4 months ago:

With Mustangs you will never get bored, Jim.
    Such a great plane with a long and interesting history, which still continues.
    Looking great.

• Profile Photo

Glad you guys like it! Lots of coffee and half a roll of tape later...it’s nearly ready for clear and decals. Picked up an Olfa circle cutter, what a cool little tool! Still shooting for tonight to get it 98% done lol.

7 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Andrew H said 3 years, 4 months ago:

Dang Jim, you work fast! Quite a marathon to get this one done eh? And no compromises on quality either, so it seems from here.

• Profile Photo

Might I join in on Andrews comment Jim (@jimh). It looks the part so far - great paintjob. Bedtime this side of the pond - so I will check again in the morning if you got to the 98%, or even a nice round 100%. . .

• Profile Photo
    George Henderson said 3 years, 4 months ago:

Love these conversions Jim

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 3 years, 4 months ago:

Jim, @jimh
    These P-51 Mustang conversion sets you are designing are wonderful... When I saw Crazy Horse the last time over in Kissimmee, it was parked in the hangar. I never realized it had the tall fin and rudder...

Where did you get the Olfa cutter ? Just curious, as I'm looking at getting one of them too.

It looks very good my friend ... and you have made some amazing progress in a short time.

Merry Christmas !

• Profile Photo

Almost made it!, it’s really close. 95% there, the new canopy is in a box drying out of the dust. Elevators, clamshells, Prop, clear coat and a really light panel wash to go. The difference in the two airframes is remarkable. I'm looking forward to adding Dago Red to the mix. The evolution of the Mustang throughout the years has brought about some beautiful incarnations.

@ louis, I found the Olfa cutter on eBay, $15 or so I think. Worth every penny. The cut out around the fuselage stars and bars was a breeze. Merry Christmas to you as well!

7 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 4 months ago:

What an almost finish, Jim, @jimh!
    Looks absolutely spectacular!
    Indeed, the difference between the two airframes is really remarkable!
    Well done so far, super job!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 years, 4 months ago:

Looks great, Jim.
    Such an impressive result in such a short time.

• Profile Photo

That was such a memorable quick build Jim (@jimh), Thanks for taking us this far, now I shall be looking forward to the finals.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 3 years, 4 months ago:

Jim, @jimh
    Thanks for the information on the Olfa cutter. Getting one of these is definitely on the wish list. Dago red is another great choice for your Mustang workshop.

Yesterday I was looking at an old 1/48 scale Monogram kit I have in the stash. It was the one that came with two kits in the same box. One of the kits included in the box was a Reno T-6 racer, and the other was a P-51D, "Miss America"... That Mustang really caught my eye. I like that paint scheme the most out of all the civilian ones out there.

These last pictures you posted also reminded me of how much I like Bob Hoover's all yellow "Rockwell" plane. Those two (Miss America, and "Ol yella") are my favorite civilian Mustangs that are basically a stock looking airframe. When you get into building Mustangs from the unlimited class at Reno, you have lots of options, and they all look beautiful. There are some very impressive paint schemes on those Ponies.

OK enough rambling... I'm very impressed with both the speed AND the quality you exhibit in this build. You shouldn't have much longer to go... 🙂
    and this Pony will be ready for inspection.