Eduard 1/48 F-6D/K photo recon Mustang

Started by Tom Cleaver · 6 · 3 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 3 years, 3 months ago:

Mrs. Claus' Christmas present arrived Wednesday. Pulling it out and working on it was good therapy for dealing with the disgusting disaster on the TV that day.

I've always wanted one of the photo Mustangs. Outside of doing a Tamiya kit with resin conversion parts (as I did in a review at Modeling Madness), this is the first purpose-created 1/48 kit, and the only other photo Mustang I know of that comes that way is one of the godawful Dragon 1/32 releases.

Yeah, I'm getting good at these. I did discover one neat little trick that got rid of the one fiddly thing in the assembly. If you do not attach that separate upper piece to the gear well (part G-34), and instead glue it to the cockpit floor so it fits as it should, there is no fiddling getting the wing subassembly into position when joining the wing and fuselage.

Nice collection of markings options. However, I discovered that I still had the decals for French F-6Ds that came with the resin conversion i did 18 years ago. So I am going to do this in those markings just to be different. There's another one on the way, so I can do more colorful markings later.

What can I say? It's an Eduard P-51D and it's perfect - only the modeler can mess things up here. So far, so good on that.

7 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 3 months ago:

Talking about a full steam ahead production line here, Tom @tcinla!
    Looking great (as usual).

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 years, 3 months ago:

That's another great start, Tom.
    Nice interiour detailing done.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 3 years, 3 months ago:

Painted. Doing an airplane in NMF without any other markings but national insignia to distract the viewer's eye ups the ante in painting. I like this well enough that I might just do one of the other kits as Earl Ortman's second place winner in the 1946 Thompson Trophy Race, since I recently rediscovered decals for that airplane that have been hiding down in the third-sub basement level of the decal dungeon.

And a photo of the one of the French Armee de l'Air F-6Ds like what I am doing.

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 years, 3 months ago:

Great paint job, Tom.
    That NMF is really nice.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 3 months ago:

Looking great and crying for decalling, Tom @tcinla!
    I like how the wheel wells turned out.