Eduard 1/48 F6F-5 Hellcat

Started by Nikola Pentić · 11 · 8 years ago · Hellcat
  • Profile Photo
    Nikola Pentić said 11 years, 2 months ago:

This is my latest project, well under way.
    It needs some weathering and then final assembly and details.

This is the Profipack version, the only thing I added were decals from Sky Models 48046.
    Quite an extensive sheet with decals for no less than 21 aircraft.
    The kit is very nice, with great fit and details. Recommended.
    I'll post some pictures of it in the Headlines when it's finished.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Editor said 11 years, 2 months ago:

Shar build, looking good! How did you find their white decals on top of the Glossy Sea Blue, are they covering well?

• Profile Photo
    David Hansen said 11 years, 2 months ago:

Looks very very nice so far. Hard to tell from the photo if you added the non skid walkways next to the fuselage, and the red wing locking pin indicators, but other than that she looks fabulous! Like the white drop tank to add some contrast.

david

• Profile Photo

Thank you.

Well, they do cover well, there is no color bleed through but they are very brittle and would not conform to surface.

I tried 5 or 6 treatments with Micro Sol and they finally gave in after several more with Future.

They are beautifly printed and in perfect register, colors are good, but they are not thin as say Cartograf or Microscale.

You can see in this second picture how they didn't "sunk" into the panel lines, they just "stood" there. I really didn't expect this 🙂

I cut the stars and bars into three pieces and applied them one by one.

Eduard stencils, which I used, behaved perfectly.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Thanks David. Walkways and indicator are not there yet, but I will add them in the next couple of days (job permitting).

• Profile Photo
    Brian Scott said 11 years, 1 month ago:

Sweet looking Hellcat ! Paint job looks really great . Keep up the awesome work 🙂 I have two Hellcat's built and a third one to start soon..

Cheers Brian

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 11 years, 1 month ago:

Ugh, that's not good. I hate it when you get decals for an interesting model and then they don't work right.

• Profile Photo
    David Hansen said 11 years, 1 month ago:

i have been hearing nothing but less-than-complimentary things about Sky Decals. Some of the grumbling is about accuracy errors, research mistakes, etc. but the BIG complaints i'm hearing pertain to the decals really poor adhesion characteristics. I have the Hellcat sheet myself but i'm 'fraid to use it.

So, we have two extremes: on one end, we Have Kagero (Techmod?) Hellcat decals which exhibit a "death grip" once applied (which makes repositioning difficult) on a model surface and on the other extreme, we have Sky decals that have to be bullied, coaxed, cajoled and in some extreme cases downright glued to the model.

Strangely enough, it seems people just LOVE the Eduard kit decals. No complaints at all.

Did i happen to mention how much i like those Barracudacals? LOL

• Profile Photo
    Nikola Pentić said 11 years, 1 month ago:

Thanks Brian. Fortunately, nightmare is over, ha-ha.
    Yep, you're right, Eduard decals work like a charm. I won't be using Sky decals anymore 🙂

• Profile Photo
    Nikola Pentić said 8 years, 7 months ago:

Very small progress. With current tempo I just might finish it by the end of the year.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    David Hansen said 8 years, 5 months ago:

Looks good, man.