Eduard F4F-3 Wildcat, 1/48. 'The New Cat On The Block'

Started by Harvey R. · 75 · 1 year ago · 1/48, Eduard, F4F, Wildcat
  • Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 year, 9 months ago:

Shading looks great, Harvey (@scalerambush). I just got a great set of decals for 1/48 Wildcats from Fundekals. Their sheet has a ton of options, as well as 36 online pages of documentation, including period photos. I have used them before and their decals worked great. I plan to use them on my Wildcat, when I get around to it. Looking forward to the rest of the build.

• Profile Photo
    Harvey R. said 1 year, 9 months ago:

Thanks all. Interesting about the fundekals, I might have to check them out in the future. The nice thing about the Wildcat is that there is so many schemes, lots of interesting aces and stories but you also get every possible Navy scheme from the bright yellow wings on the Pre-War, to the three-tone pacific and Atlantic schemes, and of course the overall sea blue. You also get a lot of interesting options with the Fleet Air Arm, I'm certainly tempted to get another one of these F4F-3s and make it a Martlet Mk.III in the land based desert scheme.

Painting Control Surfaces

Taking more time than I'd like to admit was the rudder. This was first preshaded with black over grey primer, followed by white.

A good worker shouldn't blame their tools, but I do really need some better tools to cut and measure straight lines. After a bit of trial and error with trying to mask off this rudder I decided to cheat a little. I put tape on the rudder decals whilst on the sheet to remove the film from them, I then added tape directly to the decal and used that as a guide to cut the tape to size. Moving those bits of tape to the rudder I then was presented by the minor issue of having used all of my red up on a Super Corsair, but I did have some Vallejo red which actually sprayed surprisingly nicely when thinned with water. With that the rudder was done.

For the ailerons and elevators I mixed the base colour with a touch of Tamiya Deck Tan, this lightened it up a bit but gave a slightly different tone to the fuselage. The control surfaces were painted the same way as always, but the metal trim tabs were masked off and painted with the base colour with nothing mixed in to provide some variation.

The blue side ended up coming out too bright, it wasn't awful but it just seemed a bit much. I toned it down and now it seems to subtle. Oh well! I can always change this later, but I'd rather have too subtle than too much when it comes to this.

All control surfaces were then added to the aircraft, the ailerons are very tight to the model and actually haven't been glued in but I don't see them moving anywhere. The elevator was quite hard to get right as there is 5 connection points and it really needs to be put in all 5 at the same time, but a bit of fiddling and it worked. The rudder was no issue.

With that the model is largely ready for a gloss coat and decals, though I'm going to finish off the propeller which is nice and easy to mask off thankfully. I'll also work on the wheels and see about getting them in before going further, but I may skip ahead to decals and add the wheels in at the very end after weathering.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 9 months ago:

Really nice work, Harvey @scalerambush
    The red/white rudder looks superb and you approach to get it masked worked very well.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 9 months ago:

Love your work too, my friend @scalerambush!

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 year, 9 months ago:

Paint effect on the panels looks terrific, Harvey (@scalerambush), as well as the great work on the rudder. I really hate to do all the measuring and cutting to paint something like the tail, so well done on some fiddly work. I can use Vallejo Model Air in a pinch, but thinning and spraying regular Vallejo is a real stretch for me.

• Profile Photo
    Harvey R. said 1 year, 9 months ago:

Vallejo has been on my 'banned from airbrush' list since I've had so many issues with it, but pleasantly surprised how that red came out. Wouldn't have been able to tell it wasn't tamiya aside from a bit of tip drying going on.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 1 year, 9 months ago:

This is really looking good. I too have banned the V paints from the airbrush as I haven't fully appreciated their correct use - happy to brush paint small items with it though. Might have another go with plenty of water after seeing your very succesful use @scalerambush.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 1 year, 9 months ago:

This is a really nice result you are getting Harvey, and t he result is going to look great.

• Profile Photo
    Harvey R. said 1 year, 8 months ago:

Its been a slow few days, I like to leave my decals to sit for the best part of a day and same with any washes, but finally an update and a quite different looking model!

Applying Decals

Time to deal with Eduard's decals. The way they've handled this is a little strange, it seems you get enough stars for 3/4 different Wildcats. On the subject of the small fuselage stars with the red dot you get two pairs that to my eye are identical in size and style, and another pair of different sized one, and a pair for later on with the dot removed.

The same goes for the wing stars, off of memory there are at least 6 different early stars all with the exact same dimensions. Maybe there is a small difference and red circle is slightly smaller, but I stared at them for a while and couldn't notice a thing.

In the end I actually switched out the intended decals for this scheme with other identical stars from another scheme. Why? Well, quite frankly a few random stars are quite poorly registered for what one would expect from a 2022 release, and it just so happened that the stars for scheme C were those poorly registered ones on my sheet. I do miss the old cartograf.

With the decals on a bed of Mr.Marking Setter and given nearly 20 hours worth of micro-set/sol to settle, I went about removing the film. I find this to be worth doing as the film on Eduard's decals can be quite thick especially at the edges and often I can see one side of the decal having raised film where I've cut it from the sheet. In general removing the film went without issue, a couple of ripped bits here and there but they're minor enough I may not fix them.

Now we can clearly see what Wildcat I went for, and I had to go for F-15 which is listed in the Medal of Honor citation. No photos exist of it which is a shame. To make the F-15 I used generic number decals previously purchased for the F4U-1C combined with the F- from the Eduard kit. For the nose numbers I just so happened to have an F4U-4 decal set which had a serial ending in 51, which was just the right size to be cut apart and placed.

The generic numbers weren't as white as the eduard ones, so after the model got a gloss coat for weathering wash I simply masked over them and resprayed them to bring them more in line with the eduard letter.

Stencils? Don't know what you're on about. That's a nice thing about aircraft as the earlier you go the less stencils you'll encounter.

I used the last of my Florymodels dark dirt wash on this cat, whilst the change isn't the most obvious it has made a difference when viewing up close.

On top of this I also painted up and added the wheels. I sanded them roughly in half to get them to fit a bit better to what I can see in reference photos.

And with that we have the current state of the Wildcat. Time to do some more specific weathering, I've also decided to paint on the anti-slip walkways, whilst F-1 and F-13 in that photo don't have them, F-5 at the bottom of the ocean does. In general I find with US Navy aircraft that any sort of anti-slip walkways are inconsistent with whether they're on the aircraft or not, not particularly sure why it's so random.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 8 months ago:

Looking superb as usual, my friend @scalerambush!

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 1 year, 8 months ago:

You're headed toward a very nice result, Harvey.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 8 months ago:

Decals and wash do look superb, Harvey @scalerambush

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 year, 8 months ago:

Well done, Harvey (@scalerambush). The early planes with the striped tails always look cool. I have started to use Flory washes more and more. I didn't like them at first, but once I learned that they work best over a glossy surface, I was sold. They seem to be hard to find, though. Your rod through the belly of the plane reminded me of the things you have to think about when you build a plane with the gear up. Looks great.

• Profile Photo
    Harvey R. said 1 year, 8 months ago:

Weathering the Cat

Looks like the end is near for this little cat, the last few days have been focused around weathering but I haven't had a chance to take photos as I've been busy. That being said there isn't a whole lot to report which isn't visible in other build threads I've done.

First up after the wash was to add the anti-slip walkways. No way of knowing whether this cat had it or not, but I felt it would help add something to an otherwise completely blue view. These were masked off, then painted tamiya black. A neutral grey was lightly airbrushed into the centre of panels, and the entire thing was then given a thin coat of dark earth to look a bit worn. This would later be chipped and scratched up.

Speaking of chipping and weathering in general, this comes to a bit of an issue I have. I'm really craving doing a weathered plane like a marine Corsair that's been left out in the sun and sand too long, unfortunately this isn't really the subject for that and going too over the top isn't the right approach for historical accuracy. This balance between accuracy and an appealing look + fun weathering stage is one I often come across.

To keep chipping more tamed I used an aluminium paint for the odd bit here and there, around access panels and removable bolts on the engine etc. To provide a bit more visual interest I also tried chipping in a light blue. This wasn't a particular colour and a few different mixes of white and blue acrylic brush paints were done, but ideally it conveys some use but not overuse. Again, this was focused largely around access hatches, but also a few more on the wing root and cockpit. Aiming for about 4/5 of all chipping to be the blue against the aluminium, this makes it so up close photos are a bit more interesting but from a normal shelf viewing distance it isn't too much. I did also sponge chip with this blue but it didn't come out too obvious which is preferred over being too obvious. The underside was chipped with white, mainly just on the foot hold on the fuselage.

Exhaust stains were added with Tamiya NATO black, followed by red brown, both thinned down heavily. There's a few photos showing the underside having particularly long stains that join together from each exhaust towards the mid of the fuselage, in cases where finding references is a bit of a pain I like to go and find Videos where you may see a plane banking away from the camera and for this I'd like to shout out the highly recommend 'Armoured Carriers' website and YouTube channel which is a nice listen too when I build these things.

Gun stains were added, a bit heavier than I normally do I just couldn't get the balance right for some reason. If anyone asks let's pretend that this is a scene after O'Hare shot down those bombers.

I also went ahead and added the pitot and antenna, these need a touch up with aluminium on the tips but they're in place and actually fit well (I tend to find Eduard makes the holes too small).

I went ahead and removed the masks which worked out nicely, one bit of paint chipped on the front glass but this can be touched up with a brush. One thing I didn't like is this little bit on the corner of the canopy, I originally left this but it annoyed me seeing reference photos of this corner bit being painted. I flicked the canopy off since it's just glued on with fancy PVA, masked off the inside, and painted this corner in light grey. In photos it seems to be a lighter colour than the canopy frame so I'd assume this colour, but quite a few current restorations have it in interior green. Either way, it should be painted and visible.

For oils, I actually didn't bother with them. I did use Migs Engine Grime enamel... Thing? I basically treated it as an oil paint though and some streaking was done from the cowl flaps but I kept it minimal, just enough to have some more variation. A little bit was added to the wing near the walkways and such as further dirt.

Finally so far was to add some scratches via cocktail stick, knife, and tweezers. Just to make things a bit more visually interesting particularly on the walkways again.

Not a whole lot left to do! Adding a few lights is the main thing, as well as that antenna wire.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 8 months ago:

Superlative weathering as always, my friend @scalerambush!