Eduard F4F-3 Wildcat, 1/48. 'The New Cat On The Block'

Started by Harvey R. · 75 · 1 year ago · 1/48, Eduard, F4F, Wildcat
  • Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 1 year, 8 months ago:

This is really looking fantastic, @scalerambush. It's good you tamed the desire to go too far with weathering.

However, Eduard is bringing out the F4F-4 in October, and a Solomons F4F-4 will fill your bill for weathering (but not as much as you might think, at least in the fall of 1942, because I discovered while writing "The Cactus Air Force" that the average Wildcat only lasted a month on the island before it was "shot" - war weary or shot down).

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 8 months ago:

This is really impressive weathering, Harvey @scalerambush
    May I ask how you did the chipping, what tools did you use for that.

• Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 1 year, 8 months ago:

Looking real sharp Harvey @scalerambush. Weathering is spot on, just the right amount. I'm going to have to try that Flory Wash.

• Profile Photo
    Harvey R. said 1 year, 8 months ago:

Thank you all! Glad to hear about the F4F-4 in October, I knew it was coming but wasn't sure when. I'll definitely pick up a pair of them as the idea of a weathered Solomon build sounds enjoyable, and I've been wanting to do Eric 'Winkle' Brown's Martlet for a long time and I'm sure theres aftermarket decals out there for it.

For the chipping I didn't do anything special, just a brush and paint. Watercolour pencils over a matt coat would also work but I don't have a blue or light grey in them.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 year, 8 months ago:

Looks great, Harvey (@scalerambush). The weathering and exhaust look perfect. Looking forward to your efforts on the F4F-4.

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 1 year, 8 months ago:

Fantastic work on this, Harvey @scalerambush, Eduard obviously have a winner with kit. It’s interesting to see the different approaches made by people to this kit.

• Profile Photo
    Harvey R. said 1 year, 8 months ago:

A Finished Cat

The final finishing touches were added to the cat, the antenna, pitot, various lights, and with that I'm happy enough to call it done. No major areas to note other than my cat actually has 5 guns, this is due to the barrel going too far into the wing so the left wing has a spare barrel bouncing around. On a serious note it is a shame that there isn't any sort of stop moulded in like on Tamiya's P-47 (if I'm remembering correctly) that prevent the barrels going too far in. Not the end of the world on the 4 gun Wildcat, but I would have been very annoyed if I lost my first barrel like that on a 6 gun Wildcat.

Certainly a few things I'd rather have done differently, i.e plan exactly which plane I would have done from the beginning, but all in all a fun build and I hope this thread shows that it's a great bit of plastic. Definitely considering picking up another one but you I'll wait and see what their plans for a rebox are, I'd assume we'll see a rebox in a month or two considering how they've released like 3 or 4 boxings for the A6M2 already since its April release.

Time to dust of the G4M1 and see if I can't get a shot of these two models together. Thanks for following along and providing input and critique as always folks.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 1 year, 8 months ago:

@scalerambush - great result on this. Further proof regarding the excellency of this kit.

Next release is October, a limited edition F4F-3/F4F-4 "At Midway" release. Markings for the three Marine F4F-3s (maybe only 2 since they already did Carey's #22 in the first release), and for at least John Thach's F4F-4.

You can keep up with what their releases are if you visit the digital newsletter each month, which has and will continue to have histories by yours truly, adapted from my Pacific War Quadrilogy - my "thank you" to Eduard for doing my favorite models, and (hopefully) a nudge to the readers to go get the original (Authors are Always Be Closing πŸ™‚ )

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 8 months ago:

What an amazing looking cat, Harvey @scalerambush
    Excellent paintwork and weathering.
    The picture together with the Zero is fantastic.
    Thanks for sharing your progress in this thread.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 8 months ago:

Amazing finish, my friend @scalerambush!

• Profile Photo
    Harvey R. said 1 year, 7 months ago:

Anyone else having issues uploading pictures, tried to get an article up the last few days but no photos post.

--- pic1 not found ---

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 7 months ago:

Looks like some issues are still taking place in some cases, my friend @scalerambush! Hope they will be resolved soon!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 7 months ago:

@scalerambush, count me in for the same issue on some occasions, Harvey.
    Yesterday I had some problems as well and mentioned it to Martin.
    To me it occurred on portrait pictures, landscape did upload fine.

• Profile Photo
    IAN JACKSON said 1 year, 7 months ago:

Excellent build review. Clearly written and photographed. Will be stealing a lot of these ideas and tips for my (Tamiya) Wildcat in the near future.

Best from NZ.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 year, 7 months ago:

Great job, Harvey (@scalerambush). My photos problems had reached the point that none of my photos would upload. I solved it by resizing each picture to around 1600 pixels wide. Instantly solved my problems. Erik (@airbum) came up with this fix, and Martin has recently come up with the same fix. Check the thread in the Help Group for full info. :o)