Eduard F6F-3 Hellcat, 1/48. Grumman's Ace Maker.

Started by Harvey R. · 70 · 1 year ago
  • Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 1 year, 11 months ago:

As someone who has been around four real F6F's Harvey, I can assure you it is big. It had the largest wing of any WW2 fighter. it is a reeaallll streetttccchhh to get your foot up high enough to grab that first foot rest, too.

These are both looking really nice.

In case you're interested, Bits Krieg in Ukraine makes really nice accurate props for the Hellcat.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 11 months ago:

Really nice progress, my friend @scalerambush!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 11 months ago:

Great progress, Harvey @scalerambush
    To me the pilot does look nicely painted.

• Profile Photo
    Harvey R. said 1 year, 11 months ago:

Evening folks, it's been a minute!

Work has mostly gone towards Eduard's Zero, but with that wrapped up time to get back to the Hellcat.

Painting Vraciu's Cat

Quite a lot has gone on, firstly the model was primed, some issues were highlighted notably on the underside which were patched up a bit better. After this I applied some pre-shading.

Unfortunately my trusty 0.2mm airbrush died on me, well... Died because of me really. Butterfingers caused me to break the nozzle, but the 0.35 I've seldom used aside from primer and clear coats in the past year is working out nice enough.

With the white done I applied a pre-shading to the fuselage after using blue-tack to mask off the white.

And then the intermediate blue was painted.

And finally the process was again repeated for the sea blue.

And when all is removed we have a painted up Hellcat! No major issues here, perhaps the lines between the paint could be feathered a bit nicer but with the 0.2mm out of commission for a while until the replacement parts arrive I won't be trying that. Some bits were tidied up and resprayed where needed but not much.

On the right side a few weird bits are here, firstly that little divit in the blue. I'm not sure about it and it's likely just shadow but it does seem the sea blue dips down around the access port. Also, the cowl flap camouflage shouldn't line up with the fuselage according to the photo as you can see. Perhaps the entire cowling was a line above the fuselage, but I just did the sole cowl flap. These are both things that are easily fixed.

As much as I'd like to give it a clear coat I think I'll hold on and see how long the 0.2mm airbrush parts take to arrive, whilst some Hellcats have a very clear sharp line it's obvious that Vraciu's didn't.

• Profile Photo
    Brian Scott said 1 year, 11 months ago:

@scalerambush that Hellcat paint job is fantastic ! Who’s paints are we using ?

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 1 year, 11 months ago:

As an indication of the kind of guy Alex was (besides being one of the nicest aces I met), he flew the 6-kill mission with his wings unlocked - and knew it. Just after launch, his wingman came up alongside and pointed at his wing and he saw the indicators still up. As he put it, by that time it was too late to go back and start over, so he flew the mission and got the victories. Fortunately, the enemy pilots were little more than target ducks.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 11 months ago:

Great paintwork, Harvey @scalerambush
    Thanks for taking some many pictures of the process to make clear how you achieved this result.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 11 months ago:

Amazing painting, my friend @scalerambush!

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 year, 11 months ago:

Pre-shading worked really well, Harvey (@scalerambush). The masking on the multi-color paint also seems to have worked out very well. All in all, a great paint session, especially with a wounded airbrush.

• Profile Photo
    Harvey R. said 1 year, 10 months ago:

Very interesting to read that fact Tom, thank you!

Feathering the Paintjob

With the 0.2mm airbrush back up and running I simply went over the edges done with the 0.35mm and blue tack previously.

I think the results are a little closer to the reference photographs.

With that done I've now given it two gloss coats today, so tomorrow comes the decals!

• Profile Photo
    Andrew H said 1 year, 10 months ago:

Very fine feathering work Harvey, agreed that that looks much improved.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 10 months ago:

Nice improvisation job, my friend @scalerambush! Looks much better indeed!
    P.S. Do I see your hand being a test "area" for the airbrush? If yes, I am not the only one who does it... 🙂

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 10 months ago:

Excellent paintbrush skills, Harvey @scalerambush
    Those demarcation lines are very nice like this.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 year, 10 months ago:

Great job on the paint, Harvey (@scalerambush). I always get frustrated when I need to go back and clean up the lines, but it is always worth it. Looking forward to the decals.

• Profile Photo
    Walt said 1 year, 10 months ago:

Beautiful Paint work, I really love that scheme, and you nailed it. Taking notes on your preshading too!