Eduard F6F-3 Hellcat, 1/48. Grumman's Ace Maker.

Started by Harvey R. · 70 · 1 year ago
  • Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 1 year, 10 months ago:

In case you're interested in how long it takes for a plane to "weather" in the conditions the Hellcats were operating in, the photo of Hellcat #36 - the one with the wings folding - is the airplane flown by "Spider" Webb of VF-2, and the photo was taken on return to Hornet on June 19, 1944 - the Marianas Turkey Shoot. At that point VF-2 had seen operations in the western Pacific (and New Guinea for the Hollandia landings) since their arrival in early April. So approximately 10 weeks. And they had seen action at Hollandia, the final Truk raid, the Western Carolines raids, and then the Marianas.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 1 year, 10 months ago:

Here's an accurately-colorized photo (being used in the Hellcat "bookazine" I am doing for Key Publishing) of a Hellcat at the time of the Marianas. You can see a lot of gunfire residue on the lower wings and exhaust staining on the lower fuselage, that would be something you would see on this Hellcat, as Alex Vraciu saw a lot of combat in "Gadget" at the Gilberts and Marshalls invasions, and the first Truk raid (the markings are the airplane as it appeared right after the Truk raid just before Independence got torpedoed and VF-6 went back to Hawaii with the carrier).

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 10 months ago:

What an awesome result, Harvey @scalerambush
    Thanks a lot for sharing this building process.
    Looking forward to the diorama.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 year, 10 months ago:

Great result, Harvey (@scalerambush). It was great following your build, which was a clinic in the many techniques you used to build, paint, and weather your plane. I am having several of the same problems on the B-17 I am currently building. I keep breaking off one of the tail guns, and I noticed some sanding dust on the inside of my cockpit as I was putting the Eduard masks on. I won't be able to pop my canopy off and then back on, unfortunately.

• Profile Photo
    Harvey R. said 1 year, 9 months ago:

Afternoon folks, diorama Hellcat isn't forgotten but it is on the back-burner to other projects like the Bf 109s I did and now an F2G. I'm also eagerly awaiting Eduard's Wildcat.

Beginnings of a Diorama

Here's how the diorama is currently looking, I took these a few weeks ago and not much has changed.

Currently the basic sand is done, obviously some work needs to be done in the form of rocks, pebbles, anything to help make the diorama look less monotone and uniform

Since this photo a tiny bit more work has been done on the Hellcat via chipping on the leading edge, and a bit more damage to the left wing.

Obviously there's still work left to do on the Hellcat itself. The canopy is painted, yet not glued on, the aircraft needs exhaust and oil stains, and some sand/tamiya Buff over the aircraft wouldn't be unwelcome.

It's definitely not the most realistic setup of a Diorama ever, but it sits quite nicely in with what the Combat Flight Sim 2 intro artwork shows. I'll continue to chip away bit by bit as glue, paint, or filler (god, the Special Hobby F2G on the bench currently needs a lot of it) dries. In fact, I think I'll get those exhaust stains painted on after posting a couple things. Working on a Pacific island diorama seems fitting with the current heatwave going on here.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 9 months ago:

Love the diorama looks so far, my friend @scalerambush!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 9 months ago:

Start of this diorama looks promising, Harvey @scalerambush
    How did you bent the propellor blades, did you use a bit of heating?

• Profile Photo
    Harvey R. said 1 year, 9 months ago:

Thank you! Absolutely right John, heated under a candle/lighter (can't remember which I did, as I've done both on this kit for either the lumps and bumps). One of the blades got a bit too close to the heat and has a bit of a chunk taken out of it. We'll just call that added battle damage.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 year, 9 months ago:

I agree with the others, Harvey (@scalerambush). The models are great, and the diorama is really starting to take shape. Well done.

• Profile Photo
    Brian Scott said 1 year, 9 months ago:

@scalerambush thatHellcat diorama is looking really great !