Eduard F6F-3 Hellcat, 1/48. Grumman's Ace Maker.

Started by Harvey R. · 70 · 1 year ago
  • Profile Photo
    Harvey R. said 1 year, 11 months ago:

Thank you all! And you're correct Spiros! Also I found that with the new nozzle in the brush it certainly behaves different to the worn out one (before I wrecked it) previously so it took a loot of spraying on my hand and a testbed kit to see how much pressure was needed, but on the plus side the actual lines were a lot more controlled than on the previous nozzle.

Decals

Today was all about decals, earlier in the week I realised I didn't actually have the stencil decals for the F6F so I've ordered them and am waiting, but nonetheless the actually easily seeable ones are currently on and just going through various gauntlets of decal solution. Decals are the old Eduard ones so no removable film here!

I'm still not 100% on the cowl flap on the right hand side, looking at the reference photograph I can't help but notice that the camouflage line doesn't line up when the cowl flaps are closed, but maybe I'll just go over it and make it more uniform so it looks a bit nicer.

The Second Hellcat

Like Quasimodo, the second Hellcat is hard to spot but only comes out at night when it's dark. Look away if you are a particular fan of Grumman.

I figured it's now far enough along to give an update on the general plan of this diorama build, whether I actually go ahead and make it or not (as dioramas are scary things) I can at least show what's been pulled apart.

Obviously the noticeable part is the wing, this was a pain to do as the plastic on this kit is strangely thick which means it's very strong and difficult to cut or saw through. I don't envy the modeller who decides to build this with aftermarket folded wings. Styrene was used to try and provide some detail, it's not really realistically placed but will look far better than just a hollow wing.

On the underside its been given some hot candle treatment, this allowed the nose and belly to be bent a bit to show some sort of impact damage. The right wing was cracked to also show possible damage from the crashed landing.

I'm still tweaking things but I'll likely give it a primer soon to judge before doing more, mostly the tweaks will be making the cracked wing better, as well as trying to make the bullet damage a bit more realistic. I kept damage to the model centred around the engine as that is shown in the 'reference' artwork, and adding major damage to the wings or control surfaces would make the diorama of having the pilot be alive less reasonable. With the engine been damaged it could be inferred that pilot was unhindered in regards to making a controlled wheels-up landing, with the wing damage coming from the landing rather than combat.

And with that, here's the artwork that inspired it. Good old Combat Flight Simulator 2, I remember learning how aircraft were controlled and how to fly them under the guidance of my Grandad before normally ending the short sortie with a crashed Corsair on the screen, either way a diorama take on the intro from that game has been on my to-do list. Perhaps unsurpsingly there is a lack of reference photos of crashed Hellcats out there, at least ones that are crashed on a runway and not a floating ship with lots of things to crash into on the way down the deck.

In regards to our pilot, I have a little box with every pilot figure I have shoved in it, meaning I probably have about 5 of the standing pilots that come with Tamiya Corsairs that are meant to be standing on the wing leaning against the fuselage. A little bit of surgery later and we have a guy somewhat holding an injured arm, some more work is needing doing on his legs but he'll get there.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 11 months ago:

Decals look wonderful on, my friend @scslerambush! Also the diorama idea sounds fantastic: looking forward to your approach!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 11 months ago:

Very nice work on the decals, Harvey @scalerambush
    The diorama will look amazing, love to see how will approach this.
    The pilot does already look great.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 1 year, 11 months ago:

Airbrushing the demarcation line improves things 1,000%.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 year, 11 months ago:

Decals look great, Harvey (@scalerambush). The first plane certainly came out great. Looking forward to the diorama with the crashed Hellcat. Lots of scratchbuilding to get your model into a crashed condition. Your injured pilot looks very convincing. Many years ago I went to a contest in Southern California and someone had built a crashed Me-109. He had a scale skeleton still in the seat. The cool part was that the skeleton still had a sagging uniform, boots, and was strapped into the plane.

• Profile Photo

Thank you all! George, the diorama you mention sounds very interesting! It always amazes me when people can fully make a scene from just scratchbuilding.

@f-104nut, I missed your message previously somehow but all the paints used so far are MRP's, so their ANA601, ANA607 and ANA608. MRP has become my go-to brand for paints and I've gone through a few bottles of the US Navy paints!

• Profile Photo

Painting the Crashed Cat

I've decided to get some paint on the second Hellcat, with the newly fixed 0.2 airbrush I've decided to go with a feathered demarcation line scheme. Originally I was going to do Vraciu's Hellcat as it is now and the second one with a defined line like how Vraciu's Hellcat was before I got the small airbrush on it.

I also bent up the propeller as you can see, and took off a blade as the CFS2 artwork has.

Changing Some Paintwork

When in doubt, check for photos.

Above shows a Hellcat with several 'borrowed' panels on the cowl.
    The above Hellcat seems to have the Sea Blue in roughly where it would be on Vraciu's Hellcat based on the cowl flap.

Above is difficult to see due to the oil, naturally, but the fuselage line seems to be far lower than the cowl.

Above shows a Hellcat with a straight-edge line as I was originally planning on the second Hellcat before changing my mind. The wing marking lacking a blue border seems somewhat common.

And finally this one just shows one of many different paint-job variations, there really wasn't any 'norm' with the placement.

As we can see from the photos of Vraciu's, the paint line doesn't line up from the fuselage to the cowl flap. Previously I had it so just the cowl flap was different, perhaps it was replaced from another aircraft. I've decided to back and raise the fuselage line slightly and then continue the cowl flap line across the rest of the cowling, I think it looks better. Shame we don't have a picture further back to see what the real plane looked like!

Prior to that though I did have some fun by spraying the propeller with the empty airbrush, it's not glued on yet hence why it spins so well. Colour balance is off since they were quick pics.

E: Having real issues uploading, deleting, or annotating images today.

1 additional image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 11 months ago:

Great progress, my friend @scalerambush! The paint variations are really amazing, so having pic evidence of the specific plane at the specific time is the best of luck! Indeed, the cowling seems borrowed from another plane.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 11 months ago:

Excellent work, Harvey @scalerambush
    Fully agree on the above statements by Spiros @fiveten.
    Seems like the cowling is from a different aircraft.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 year, 11 months ago:

Ditto from me, Harvey (@scalerambush). Paint looks terrific and the work on the crashed plane is moving right along. I sympathize with your photos issues. I occasionally have problems loading photos and it really complicates posting an update.

• Profile Photo
    Harvey R. said 1 year, 10 months ago:

Decals on the Second Hellcat

I got the painting done on the second Hellcat and gave it some trusty MRP gloss, ready for decals.

As previously stated these are overtree sets from Eduard, so no decals. The decal sheet I bought for Vraciu's bird actually has 7 stars, which just so happens to leave 2 fuselage stars and an upper wing left over. Sounds perfect to me!

With them on its time to raid the leftover decal box. On the underside I added a Corsair fuselage star, this is slightly too small but considering the nature of the diorama probably won't be seen. I then got together all my number decals, I had a generic set suitable for tail and cowling numbers, but for the fuselage numbers which are generally a bigger size I would have to use a leftover Corsair decal.

After checking through reference photos and again realising there was no real standard size or placement (it seems to vary greatly either between squadrons or ships), I came cross some colour profiles of 63 and 67 from USS Enterprise. This reminded me of a photo showing 66 aboard the ship and it just so happened that I have a leftover 99 belonging to an F4U-1D.

So with that done we have a generic looking Hellcat, I didn't see the point of doing an 'ace' Hellcat and this model should represent the plain machines 99% of pilots would have flown.

On this one I went for the wing star that lacks the blue border. Supposedly, Grumman had a special exception from the Navy allowing the star to be done with a light grey instead of white and no border but I haven't found any other sources backing this up, regardless the no border wing star seems quite common in photos.

I'm still waiting for the stencil sheets to arrive, they should have came today but no joy there. Hopefully they'll be in tomorrow and I can continue with weathering.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 10 months ago:

Your "crashed" Hellcat's decals look great so far, my friend @scalerambush!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 10 months ago:

Decals do look great indeed, Harvey @scalerambush
    Let's hope the mailman has some nice package for you romorrow.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 year, 10 months ago:

Looking forward to your crashed Hellcat, Harvey @scalerambush. I remember seeing a bunch of dioramas in the 70s where there were crashed planes, but not many recently. Should be fun!

• Profile Photo
    IAN JACKSON said 1 year, 10 months ago:

Just went back through this post - fantastic info here...

Very best from NZ.