Eduard F6F-3 Hellcat, 1/48. Grumman's Ace Maker.

Started by Harvey R. · 70 · 1 year ago
  • Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 1 year, 10 months ago:

That one photo of the F6F-3 with the small fuselage insignia about to take off is Jimmy Flatley's, which was one of the first 100 with the fairings over the guns and painted in blue-grey/light-grey originally. It then got a coat of Sea Blue over that scheme, a very one-off and out of the ordinary scheme.

• Profile Photo
    Harvey R. said 1 year, 10 months ago:

Very interesting! There were a few markers that made me think it was one if the very early ones, notably that very small fuselage star. As a side, I was very tempted to do the very early prototype style Hellcat with the early markings and two tone scheme.

Beginning Weathering

Here's a technique I haven't used in a long while, salt chipping.

The thing with pacific aircraft particularly the Corsairs is that using chipping fluid is extremely tempting to provide interesting weathering, salt chipping on the other hand is a bit awkward to use with that type of weathering as there's a good chance that you'll accidently cause more chipping when removing the salt even if you put a clear coat between them.

On the Hellcats though I didn't use chipping fluid, so I thought I'd dust off this technique I haven't used in a good while.

Unfortunately I definitely overdid it in some areas, perhaps I put too much white in the airbrush but some areas are quite overdone particularly on the left side of the aircraft. I tried to sand and polish some of the paint off and tone it down, but for now I'll leave it as is and see how a clear coat and oils effect it.

Furthermore I did also did a dirt wash on the model, this strangely got very stuck to the underside of the aircraft (perhaps the salt chipping on the underside, done in a very thinned black, wasn't dry enough yet) but to fix this I just sprayed over it with white. In the end if the blue does look too dramatic this will be the final option to fix it.

Overall though it doesn't look too bad, maybe a bit overdone but it's right on the verge between too much and just right. Either way though I do like the potential salt chipping has in breaking up colours like blues and blacks which overwise can come across very monotone, and it does seem fitting for an aircraft living in the salty seas. For the downed Hellcat I'll make sure to be a bit more careful with the white/thinner mix! Instead of doing a small poor from the bottle a drop or two from a cocktail stick in a half filled airbrush cup works better.

E: Of course I forgot to mention the stencils, they were actually a bit of a pain and kept folding up on me. I forgot how delicate Cartograf decals could be as it's been a while. Either way, both Hellcats got them though naturally I got lazy with the grounded Hellcat and didn't bother with the underside.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 10 months ago:

Weathering looks perfect from here, my friend @scalerambush! Neither overdone nor by any means out of place.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 10 months ago:

Great weathering effects, Harvey @scalerambush
    Results are beautiful.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 1 year, 10 months ago:

The big problem with salt chipping on a carrier-based aircraft is actual chipping doesn't last very long (look at photos of Hellcats on carriers for confirmation); that's because they're in a saltwater environment, which will corrode aluminum quickly. So the maintenance crews have all that paint aboard so they can overpaint chipping of the paint immediately if not sooner. Thus, a carrier-based airplane should be kept clean of chipping. Exhaust stains, oil stains, gunfire stains, no problem. But no chipping.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 year, 10 months ago:

Chipping looks great, Harvey @scalerambush. As far as the problem with the bottom of the plane, perhaps the salt process created "tooth" that allowed the black to stick more to it. In any case, looks great. When I was in Somalia with the Air Force, I got a chance to visit one of the assault ships in the harbor, and I saw what Tom (@tcinla) was talking about. Chipped paint on the helos seemed to be dealt with fairly quickly. So, instead of chipping, there were a lot of patches of fresh paint over the older paint. I always worry when I get to the weathering part of a build. The kit is 99% done and then I start the weathering process which is sometimes not as controllable as I wish it was.

• Profile Photo

I think for me personally I don't look at salt-chipping as what the name suggests, but as a way to try and approach sun-bleaching akin to how you could use a stencil to apply some variation on the final model.

Painting new parts in a patchwork way is something I've been meaning to try and I've seen it done really well on the Navy's jets like the Phantoms, Tomcats and Hornets. My issue would be tying it in a way that makes sense. If I repaint one or two panels to be new it might improve the build and provide some variation or it might look a bit odd, if this model was fully riveted though I could see applying a fresh paint to certain rivet 'squares' would look interesting, otherwise I worry it would just look like a random airbrush spray without the rivets as a guide. A similar example is chipping the Corsair's wing roots particularly above the radiator where the paint starts chipping from the flush rivets, when I tried to recreate that effect on an older Corsair model it didn't look right but when I added the Rosie the Riveter it made more sense (despite the use of the rivet wheel being unrealistic in the first place).

Anyways, this is why I was worried the effect is a bit overdone for the appearance of sun-bleaching. Its one of those weird areas where too little is very hard to notice and too much suddenly becomes incredibly different. My inspiration was photos like (below) which show the variation from sun-bleaching and foot traffic, honestly from a regular distance under normal light my salt-chipping is fine but it does come across as a bit much when the white lights and photobox is out. Whether I fix it or not will probably be the final step once all the oils and clear coats are on.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Brian Scott said 1 year, 10 months ago:

@scalerambush Harvey Alexander’s Hellcat really looking great my friend . Loving that paint job . How hard was it to close he main gear on the Eduard kit ?

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 1 year, 10 months ago:

Great choice to use saltchipping to get a weathered look. After all the wear is bleaching as you write, not stones thrown up on an improvised runway. The result is very convincing Harvey!

• Profile Photo

Thank you all! Regarding the undercarriage it wasn't too bad, I've had worse. It is missing a panel that had to be scratchbuilt as there's a small panel that is hidden away when the wheels are down, but fills a gap when it is up. I found it best to glue it all in place but very lightly glue the large main panel that covers the majority of the leg + wheel, and then slide the wheel in afterwards. I did have to remove all the detail in the bay to get some space for the wheel, and the wheel is cut in half (which is no issue as the wheel is meant to be 2 halves glued together).

Working on Exhausts

The Hellcat exhaust stains are interesting as quite a lot seem to go to a grey/white, the issue with this is that Sea Blue + thinned white or grey = basically intermediate blue, so it kinda ends up looking a bit like I botched the camo scheme. As such I went for a more traditional exhaust stain colour with a tiny amount of grey round the side leading onto the wings.

To make this first I sprayed black into the shape I wanted, then I did the grey, I added a tiny bit of white over the grey towards the exhaust, and then went back and used a dark brown on the black staining from the exhaust side out. I also tried to hold the airbrush over panel lines to make those areas look darker like there's a bit of stain build up.

All work was done with Tamiya paints here, I put 1/3 cup of thinner in my airbrush (which doesn't have a big cup) and added a drop or two of paint, so it's pretty much 95~% thinner. It took a lot of thin coats but being so much thinner it dried/evaporated quickly.

Unfortunately I was quite happy with the underside but then accidently scraped some off, trying to patch it up didn't work due to the thin paint so I ended up respraying some panels white and going again.

With that though the majority of weathering is done. I'll give the model some semi-matt paints and then work on the fiddly bits like lights and antennas.

• Profile Photo

These are among the best exhaust stains I have ever seen, my friend @scalerambush!
    Pity about your slight mishap: luckily all is fine again, with the only "lost" thing being a small amount of time!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 10 months ago:

Indeed great looking stains, Harvey @scalerambush
    Great recovery done as well.
    The retracted wheels look perfect like this.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 year, 10 months ago:

Ditto from me, Harvey @scalerambush. Exhaust stains look very good.

• Profile Photo

The Finishing Touches On #19

One thing I forgot to add was the anti-slip walkways, so I added those on quickly. With that the only thing left was to add the fiddly bits!

Antennas were added, wire was also added. The pesky inboard gun barrel that kept coming off was also repainted and added, and finally the lights went on. None of the lights really fitted in this kit, the formation lights were painted and added but had to be sanded down to fit flush with the wing. The rest of the lights were made up using Krystal Klear and later tamiya clear paints added if needed.

I also found, for some reason, that a lot of paint got inside the cockpit. I ended up breaking off the canopy (not too difficult since it was glued with Krystal Klear) and rubbing the inside with a cotton bud dipped in tamiya X-20A, which cleaned it up. It was then reglued and that was it.

With that, Vraciu's bird is done. It's currently sitting where it should be which is next to my Tomcat.

Now to continue work on the other kit, or more accurately trying to get a diorama base sorted so I have somewhere to put the wreck.

• Profile Photo

Excellent, my friend @scslerambush!
    Congratulations!
    What a build thread!