Eduard P-51D - experiment in NMF finish

Started by Tom Cleaver · 8 · 1 week ago
  • Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 2 weeks, 5 days ago:

This Eduard P-51D-10 is painted with Mr Hobby "Super Metallic 2" paints and Tamiya's new lacquer-base acrylics.

The fuselage and tail surfaces are in Mr Hobby Super Duralumin, with various panels in Superfine Silver, Super Titanium, Super Stainless Steel all thinned 50-50 with Mr Color Leveling Thinner 400. The wing is done with Tamiya "Gloss Aluminum," thinned 40 (paint) 60 (thinner) with Mr Color Leveling Thinner. The fabric covered rudder and elevators are in Tamiya "Mica Silver," thinned the same way.

As with the MiniArt P-47D-30, these paints do a great job of bringing up the very petite surface detail.

The model will be finished as "Tar Heel," flown by Capt. James Starnes of the 505th FS, 339th FG in late 1944. It's the airplane Bert Stiles was flying when he crashed while pursuing an enemy fighter and was killed. (He holds a special place in my life and heart - I grew up a block away from his home, studied piano with his mother from age 7 to 13, and he and I are the only two writers who ever graduated from South Denver High School)

I can't say enough good about these paints!

6 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 weeks, 5 days ago:

Excellent job, my friend @tcinla! Thanks for all the color info, it is really useful.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 weeks, 4 days ago:

Impressive paintwork, Tom @tcinla
    Thanks for sharing the used paints.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 1 week, 4 days ago:

Here it is, finished.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 week, 4 days ago:

Looks fantastic, my friend @tcinla!
    NMF rocks!