Eduard Zlin Z-226 T / MS dual build

Started by Csaba · 30 · 2 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 2 years, 5 months ago:

Great project!

• Profile Photo
    Csaba said 2 years, 5 months ago:

Found another photo of the TRD today, same source, Fortepan / MHSZ.
    I started making notes about the custom decals/masks I need to make. The old registration letters are simple, but I will need a blue "Trener 6" sign, matching the blue from the livery. I believe that it is too complicated to cut, even with machines, so I need to see whether I can match a self-printed decal with the blue color. Same goes for the new registration, I have to match the red with the livery. It will be tricky, but I will see what I can achieve.

The original stencils are interesting too. It seems that the planes arrived with Hungarian stencils (or applied shortly after their arrival). However, I can´t read them on the photos, bit I have an idea what they say. I have seen a lot of planes from that period, and all of them used very similar wording on the stencils.
    Eduard provides full stencils on the decal sheet, but almost all planes in the kit are Czech or Slovakian (or from the former Czechoslovakia). You can also buy a stencil aftermarket set from Eduard, and they provide both Czech and Slovakian stencils, in white and black. Not really helping my plans of building a Hungarian plane.
    However, the instruction PDF is a huge help. I can see where the commonly applied stencils were, and what they said. I just had to type in the text to Google translate, and got the English translation. From that I can easily find the best (and most probably applied) Hungarian translation.
    I can see on the photos that not all stencils were applied on that batch of Treners. There is nothing on the stabilizers, rudder and elevator. The wings and fuselage have the usual warning signs applied, but I don´t see any external power port or stencils in that area on the fuselage (neither the original T, or the restored MS version). Maybe it was an optional item.

If you wonder what the common stencils on a 226 were:
    Czech - English
    vonkajsi zdroj - external power
    tu zdvinat - lift here
    tu nezdvinati - do no lift here
    tu netlacit - do not push
    nedotykat sa - do not touch
    palivo - fuel
    olej - oil
    neopirat sa - do not push or pull - I think the placing on the dorsal fin makes both correct, but I am not sure what the correct translation is correct here
    tu nestupati - do not step

You can see their placing on Eduard´s instructions.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 2 years, 5 months ago:

@pikofix: There is indeed a correct, accurate model of the T-6. The Monogram kit. It has the raised rivets of the real thing and the raised panel lines are excellent ways of portraying lapped panels, which are also common on the original airframe. I have now been around T-6s for 50 years and can assure you of this. And the "Reno Racer" release will work wonders for any T-6 racer you want to do that you can find markings for. The T-6 class allows no modifications to the airplane other than to tweak things to the maximum allowable in the manual (this is why they race - dangerously close! there have been more mid-airs in this class than all others combined - in a big crowd and the difference in speed of the winner and loser is usually under 15mph)

I'm really looking forward to seeing what you do with these kits.

Oh, one other thing. I have asked this of my Lithuanian-speaking wife, and never received an answer: what crime did vowels ever commit, that Eastern Europeans have never forgiven them? 🙂

• Profile Photo

Tom @tcinla yeah, language learning is fun, but some are more difficult to learn than others. Even in the eastern part of Europe, there are many, very different language groups, and a few of them sound terrible for me as well.

Sometimes I also play with the recent version of Microsoft´s flight simulator, and look what comes on Thursday - a Reno air race extension! . I was lucky enough to get into a short beta testing a few weeks ago, and it is a great addon to the simulator. You can fly with 4 different classes, one of them is the T-6.

• Profile Photo

@pikofix - If you fly the T-6 race, do not get into a high bank condition going around a pylon. I was there for a for-real accident in 1978, when a guy tightened his turn over pylon 2 (we were on pylon 1 for photography) to wings-vertical, and went into a high-speed stall/spin. His "lower" wing went into the T-6 below him, knocking off the wing, and when the fuselage crashed without flooring (which is the wing), the pilot's legs were traumatically amputated. We could hear his screams from where we were. What made it more awful was I knew him. Bottom line, racing a T-6 is dangerous, you're doing it in a formation where no one is paying attention to staying in position.

• Profile Photo

@tcinla yes, it indeed is dangerous. I would not try it in real life, prefer to stay on the safe side when flying. I have also witnessed fatal accidents and very close calls in our club, and those made me focused on safety for life.

In the meanwhile, Eduard released its December newsletter. This time, the editors included a build report of the kit, and a few photos of another build. Looks very promising, I can´t wait to get started.

• Profile Photo

@pikofix - Yes, that very good newsletter (there's a lot of stuff in it folks - download the PDF and take your time) had articles that really sold me on that kit.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 5 months ago:

Thanks for notifying, Csaba @pikofix
    Indeed a very interesting newsletter.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 5 months ago:

Thanks for the Eduard newsletter heads up, my friend @pikofix!

• Profile Photo
    Csaba said 2 years, 4 months ago:

I managed to call the former school principal of Darnózseli, and he remembered the TRD, being on display in front of his school for a few years in the 1970s. The background of the story is that two persons from the town worked for the local MHSZ (a paramilitary sport organization, handling flying clubs, among other sports). They managed to get the grounded TRD somehow and put it on display for a while in their hometown. He did not know why, but the plane disappeared later (the time when it was taken back to the hangars for storage). I managed to surprise him with the fact, that the plane got into the air again, nearly 20 years later.

Unfortunately, he does not have photos but recommended reaching out to the local community. I managed to find the local Facebook group. Hopefully, someone can find a photo in the family albums.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 4 months ago:

That's some wonderful story coming together, my friend @pikofix!

• Profile Photo

I received this photo M. Borbely, and with her permission I can share it here. It shows the TRD around 1979-80, in very poor condition, resting on three concrete blocks. According to multiple people, the plane was pretty much empty inside, without tires and propeller. Most probably everything valuable was removed from the airframe.
    Interesting addition to the story that most people recalled red and yellow colors, not green/blue as the last known paint scheme.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 4 months ago:

This is a great picture, Csaba @pikofix
    Even smaller than I thought at first after seeing this photo.

• Profile Photo

It is indeed a small plane John @johnb I know the feeling of seeing something in photo, and then being surprised to see the difference between the expected and real size. My wife is really bad in guessing the size of things based on photos, so we have a few oddly sized items around the household. “Oh, it looked smaller on the webpage!” 🙂

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 4 months ago:

Amazing to follow the plane's history with great pics, such as this one, my friend @pikofix!