Ernst Udets Messerschmitt Bf 109 V14

Started by Erik Gjørup · 89 · 6 months ago · Bf109, Bf109V, Haldværk, Messerschmitt, Scratchbuild, Tamiya, Udet
  • Profile Photo
    Ronnie Olsthoorn said 2 years, 8 months ago:

Good progress so far!
    I won't deny enjoying seeing someone fill up panel lines, I feel a lot of detail on scale models these days is much too crude. I'm about to do the same on a 1/48 Ta 183, that kit has a panel line for every rib location, while it would've been a puttied rivet line in reality.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 2 years, 5 months ago:

@gblair it really is amazing how satisfying the sanding process is.
    @fiveten – do open a 109
    @johnb as you can imagine from all the scotch corks the dust has been washed away
    @lis, thanks
    @j-healy, I agree – these “Versuchs” planes are something else.
    @skyraider3d, panellines are always something to think about. Try enlarging them to scale – that would be massive. At least I am very happy to fill these, not least as they were filled back then on the real stuff.

Taking a brake

- in more than one sense!

Having been away from the bench for far to long, and then just a short dry-fit break on this one after some sanding

With more than one Tamiya 109 going, it is nice to have markings on the parts.

I did some sanding last time, and had to dry-fit to check where to continue

I did not get any pictures of the deepened oilcooler, but suffice it to say it involved plasticcard and LqS – and sanding. . .

next up it may be time for some interior. That will be a challenge as I really haven’t seen any pictures of the cockpit on this one!

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 5 months ago:

A nice step, my friend @airbum!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 5 months ago:

Nice to see progress on the V14 as well, Erik @airbum

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 2 years, 5 months ago:

Great use for old bottle corks, Erik (@airbum). I saw that AMG just released the whole range of early 109s in 1/72 scale. I think resin and scratchbuilding are still the only way to get "V" 109s in 1/48.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 2 years, 5 months ago:

Erik, @airbum
    It is nice to see you are back and working on these 109's. I think I can talk for all of us by saying we missed your regular updates and good humor with the words of wit and wisdom you always include with your posts.

It looks like you have most, if not all of the seams filled in nicely with your Udet V-14 model. Keep it going. 🙂

• Profile Photo
    capt. R said 2 years, 5 months ago:

good work! You are master of sanding 🙂

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 2 years, 3 months ago:

Gents, @fiveten, @johnb, @gblair, @lgardner and @lis time to continue!

Internals getting attention

The cockpit got some TLC in preparation for closing the fuselage

Apart from seatbelts it is ready to get the fuselage closed. I still haven’t got a good picture – or any picture for that matter – of the interior and seatbelts, so all is a guess. I suppose it had the modern stick and not the spadegrip as that was obviously already in late Doras. The anchor points for the seatbelt may have been on the rear wall as in wingsy’s E-1.

I suppose this one had the breathing apparatus installed as it was to fly in the alps for the meeting in Zürich.

As you may have noticed the fuel-primer has been upgraded a bit and the REVI removed. I am not happy with the card pocket, but not really sure I will change it now.

next up the fuselage will most likely be assembled

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 3 months ago:

This build keeps moving along wonderfully, my friend @airbum! Love the office, great breathing apparatus, waaaaaay better than my scratch built attempt on my Hs-123, so, with your permission, I will replicate it likewise in my possible future builds... 🙂

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 2 years, 3 months ago:

Indeed it does @fiveten. I may have a spare "Atemgerät" I can send you - just email me when/if you need one.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 3 months ago:

Thanks my friend @airbum! Always too kind!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 3 months ago:

Indeed a very detailed interior, Erik @airbum
    You might add some navigation papers in that paper holder.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 2 years, 2 months ago:

Erik, @airbum
    I am very happy to see you are getting busy with this build again. The work you have done in the cockpit is absolutely incredible, (which means it is up to your normal high standards) 😉

One of these days I will be starting with my Udet build, but first I will be completing a few more kits that I have previously started. Meanwhile I am taking notes and I will be following your lead.

Keep it going my friend ! It looks VERY good.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 2 years, 2 months ago:

No problem @fiveten – spares are to be used.
    I will do that @johnb – a few 1930’s maps and stuff will be sourced.
    @lgardner, thank you for the kind words. Your build will commence when it is ready for it, and that will be something to look forward to. I have been asking around, and one AM supplier has told me he actually has the rough mould ready for a conversion, but he seems unable to find his resin-mojo right now. Fingers crossed for a new AM product to replace the one long out of production.

Major assembly done

As I usually work on this at the same time as the V-13 in “golden age of airracing”, it was time to assemble the major parts

A strip of tape to minimize gap and keep the shape

Actually not something I usually do, but this one had a rough life till now, so some stabilizing was needed.

And the office

I had installed some left-over eduard belts before assembly, and will add some charts and stuff before adding the hood.

Tune in for more progress later

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 2 months ago:

A bit of help is not that bad, Erik @airbum
    A beautiful office to work in.