Ernst Udets Messerschmitt Bf 109 V14

Started by Erik Gjørup · 89 · 6 months ago · Bf109, Bf109V, Haldværk, Messerschmitt, Scratchbuild, Tamiya, Udet
  • Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 7 months ago:

Some serious painting there, my friend @airbum! Yes, LqS does at cases sink...🙁
    Looking forward to your progress!

• Profile Photo
    Cricket said 7 months ago:

@airbum. WOW…thats red! Not sure what LqS is but I like your progress

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 7 months ago:

LqS = Liquified Styrene. I have a description in my 109-werke topic:

https://imodeler.com/groups/work-in-progress-aircraft/forum/topic/messerschmitt-bf-109-werke/?topic_page=4&num=15

Sometimes people prefer to use Spruegoo - where you use glue and a paintbrust to draw molten sprue onto the area in need of treatment. I also think I saw it in tools and tricks?

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 7 months ago:

It does look good in red, Erik @airbum
    Pretty sure you will get done perfectly next round.

• Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 7 months ago:

I guess you are seeing red and lots of it, Erik @airbum. I have used various shades of pink as primer for red and particularly yellow finishes as well as other color primers to enhance final finish colors with great success. Painting car models taught me that.

I’ve been eyeing the new tool Eduard Bf 109K-4. Have you checked it out yet?

• Profile Photo
    Cricket said 7 months ago:

@airbum … Ahh yes I do know what LqS is and I have used it to repair a front upright on my Tamiya Lola. I used Tamiya Ultra This glue and shaving of the Sprue….Thanks Eric

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 7 months ago:

@airbum
    Erik, hope you don’t mind me asking but why you chose to mix shades of red to get that specific finish?
    From the photo is looks very much like the Ferrari red from Vallejo. And I’ve always assumed Udet machine was in RLM 23 but I bet you have more info on this. Thanks!

• Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 7 months ago:

Now that Pedro brought the shade question up, I was wondering what appears to me me to be a very thick application of gloss coat especially on the fuselage. I could not make out visually the sunken issue with the LqS that you pointed to . A bit too much glare on the pict. Regardless, it looks ok to me.@airbum. It will settle down on your next coat.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 7 months ago:

Thank you all for great comments and info - these make all the difference and is why it is a real joy to be posting here - keep them coming!

Pedro @holzhamer, I do not mind at all - on the contrary. As far as I know it has never been established what the color was, but as the red is carried on from his WWI planes, I do doubt it is a RLM color. I find the 23-shade a bit too bright, but nevertheless it will be used on the tail for the markings, and from the pictures I have seen there is a difference between that red and the overall red. In earlier days some modellers even interpreted the b/w pictures as being Messerschmitt blue, just like the Taifun! Eric @eb801, you are completely right - it was a case of "get-there-itis" and I simply put on a way too thick layer. Several rounds of thin would have worked better, but seeing red, I seem to have lost my patience! Hope I learned the lesson? Probably not, but I may have to make a note in the spraybooth..

Now - the Kürfyrst will indeed be in my sights, and I did put it in the basket when they had a 25% off and bundle offer in their online shop, but alas - wanted more and got there too late. The overtrees were sold out, so now I will wait (probably) for the next time there is a sale. Not sure I can wait though.

Thanks again for being very constructive!

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 6 months ago:

Decals!

Started with the decals

I came up with a great plan. I would start on the undersurface. So into the water the cut out decal went. Oh – there is a pitot. . . change of plan. It will go onto the top side.

The decals are silkscreen printed onto some extremely thin fullsheet clear decalpaper, and the print is thick and the sheet is thin. After a lot of nudging it seemed to be there – but I decided for some Micro Sol just to be sure….

Well – there is room for improvement, but I still think it is useable even though this was supposed to be the last decal. The next time this one appears will most likely be fully decalled and probably with a layer of clear or two.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 6 months ago:

Looking excellent from here, my friend @airbum!

• Profile Photo
    Cricket said 6 months ago:

@airbum is the decal one piece or are the letters cut out? I see a bit of wrinkling did you use a solvent? That is a gorgeous color 🙂

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 6 months ago:

I love the red color, Erik (@airbum), but it is hard to get white decals to cover the dark color. I think the red is a great choice.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 6 months ago:

Looks very nice to me, Erik @airbum
    A little bit of solvent might remove the wrinkles.