F-111F Aardvark Desert Storm USAF 1991

Started by Chuck A. Villanueva · 69 · 4 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 4 years, 12 months ago:

This will be the final installment for the F-111 as i finish the final detail bits. Starting with the wing glove actuators and covers that open when the wings are fully deployed.

Next the final step is the exhaust nozzles. The tail boom and fuel dump and sensor are in steel.

Hasegawa has done well in representing the complexity nicely detailed exhaust and after burner nozzles for the F-111D. Not bad at all for this scale.

The tail pipes as removed from the sprue.

I painted these using Alclad Exhaust.

Next the exhaust nozzle The interior painted again with Alclad exhaust. The outer section in MM Burnt Metal.

2 nozzles and both tail pipes are ready to assemble

On the vise one of the exhaust tail pipes ready for the after burner petals.

Each of the petals are attached to the cans. Then airbrushed Vallejo steel.

Finally each exhaust nozzle assy attached to the tail section.

She is completed.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 4 years, 11 months ago:

Looks great! It is always nice to cross the finish line, especially when you have to deal with things like swing wings and a three-tone camouflage. What is next on the list?

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 4 years, 11 months ago:

Thanks George, have several that are coming up starting with an Academy B-24D in 72nd scale and a Tamiya Dinah in 48th

• Profile Photo
    Scott L Shank said 4 years, 11 months ago:

Good job Chuck! I'll be using some of your techniques on my Acad kit. Thanks!

• Profile Photo

Thanks Scott, I will be watching out for that project. The Academy kit is an interesting one. And one I would like to take on someday. Despite the scale it lacks quite a bit compared to the much more detailed smaller Hase series. I always wondered why Hasegawa didn't produce a series in 48th scale. Like they did with the F-14,F-15,F-16, F/A-18, etc...would've been a good one.

• Profile Photo
    Scott L Shank said 4 years, 11 months ago:

Agreed. It would be great to see Hase or Tamiya do it. Shoot, even ICM, seeing the quality of their Foxbat series! Thin Ice Dep't: Based on what they have produced so far, I would even toss in AMK for an F-111 series. I occasionally tease them about it on their Facebook page...

• Profile Photo
    Jim Crabb said 4 years, 11 months ago:

Great build! Thank you for sharing. This is almost a textbook guide to building this kit.

• Profile Photo

AMK needs to get that Tomcat produced if ever. Though I believe they are close. Trying to be perfect is their hang up in my opinion. ICM is an interesting candidate for doing an F-111 series. The Hobby Boss ones are ok, but they also need some work to bring them up to speed however. And not an easy task. Face it the F-111 is a complicated model. Hasegawa did very well in 72nd scale. And they are over 30 years old now. And still the standard in any scale.

Jim thank you and hope it inspires you to build one.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 4 years, 11 months ago:

Hello Chuck. @uscusn

This slipped under the radar. I just noticed that you finished up the F-111. It looks fantastic !

I'll be watching for it to show up in the headlines section soon. Thanks for taking the time to post such a comprehensive build journal. Your making me want to drag out my 1/48 kit from the stash... someday 🙂