F-82 Twin Mustang Mojo Build

Started by Carl Smoot · 88 · 3 weeks ago
  • Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 months, 2 weeks ago:

Those cockpits definitely look great, Carl @clipper

• Profile Photo
    Carl Smoot said 2 months, 2 weeks ago:

Thanks George (@gblair), Spiros (@fiveten), and John (@johnb). I got a little further on the cockpits / pilots. The pilots are painted and installed in their seats along with some Tamiya masking tape harnesses. I'll be closing up the fuselages shortly.

However, I also have to matte coat my USS San Francisco tonight, so I will probably do that first.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 2 months, 2 weeks ago:

Pilots look really cool, Carl (@clipper). They will look really good in the plane.

• Profile Photo

Thanks George (@gblair). I'm am getting more confident with painting figures, although, I need to try my abilities on something larger than 1/72 or 1/48 to see if I can really paint figures or if I am just doing some wishful thinking! 🙂

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 months, 2 weeks ago:

Beautiful work done on those pilots, Carl @clipper
    The harnesses came out superb as well.

• Profile Photo

Thanks John (@johnb). I've found that when doing these Tamiya tape harnesses that it works best to ensure one end is CA glued securely before trying to position the remainder of the harness.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 months, 2 weeks ago:

Pilots/cockpits look excellent, my friend @clipper!

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 2 months, 2 weeks ago:

Hi Carl (@clipper): I have to admit that figures have always fascinated me. They bring another level to our models. I found a free print file for a Conquistador that I really like, and enlarged it from 1/35 to 1/16. That may be large enough for me to make an attempt to paint it.

• Profile Photo

Thanks Spiros (@fiveten).

George (@gblair), I am not sure I am remotely ready for anything larger than 1/35 scale as I have only been doing this (figures) for about 18 months. Perhaps, but I think I am more interested in the extra dimension they add to my existing model interests rather than as a standalone model. I have one 1/32 scale model (F-100 Super Sabre) that I plan on including figures in a diorama, but that project has been on hold for quite some time now.

• Profile Photo
    Carl Smoot said 2 months ago:

I am working my way through improving the surface detail on the fuselages. I just couldn't leave the raised detail as it was pretty crude. To avoid problems, I am re-scribing one fuselage at a time. My new articulating Tablet arm has been real handy in this regard allowing me to have the reference drawings right at viewing height.

The lower movable vent on the fuselage is molded closed , so I opened it up. I'll have to repeat this on the other fuselage when I get to it.

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 2 months ago:

Excellent work so far! The pilots also look nice as well, and I use the same masking tape seatbelt technique.

One of the things that I think brings more depth to 1/72 scale pilots is using a wash to bring out shadows. Unlike the normal approach with washes (gloss coat), what I do is use a water-based panel wash and dab it on the dry paint (with no top coat), then work it back off a bit, using the brush to wick back out the excess in the folds and crevices until it looks more like a natural shadow. I then take a Q-tip moistened with water and rub off a little more of the wash off the highlight areas - helmet/flight cap, elbows/knees, etc. Doing it this way does make the overall colors used darker than the original paint a bit, so I try to use a tad lighter shade of color than what my ultimate goal is.

By the time you close up a cockpit on a 1/72 kit, the more heavily contrasty shadows and highlights really help bring more realism to the pilots.

• Profile Photo

Thanks Greg (@gkittinger). I will try this method of pilot post op work next time. I am still trying to perfect my figure painting technique. Part of my challenge with this is I tend to do 1/72 and 1/48 pilots mostly and most of the time (so far) they have been plastic molded kit versions or plastic molded aftermarket figures that I've had to butcher to make them fit. So one of my goals is to not only get better at painting (with associated highlighting), but also get better at improving the figures, either through added materials (i.e.putties or plastic bits or PE), or via carving / filing.

To give you some idea of what I've dealt with so far, the best figures I've worked with were 1/48 ICM plastic standing figures, cut into pieces and reassembled to be seated figures. Then tried to repair all the damage. Painting that was fair. I had a 1/72 resin pilot figure from PJ Productions once, but the detail on it was only so so, thereby not giving me any real opportunities to paint a better molded figure.

Funny thing, near future figures for me to do are approximately eighty 1/350 scale US Navy sailors for my USS San Francisco. Needless to say, there won't be a lot of detail painting on those! 🙂

Some day I'll get the right blend of a nicely detailed figure in a scale large enough to go the extra distance. In the meantime, I will practice where I can on the figures I have to work with at the moment.

Thanks again for sharing the shading and highlighting technique.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 months ago:

The Twin Mustang progresses nicely, Carl @clipper
    Nice surgery on the vent.

• Profile Photo

Thanks John (@johnb).

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 months ago:

Excellent progress and really effective surgery, my friend @clipper!