First one of 2023 - ICM 1/48 B-26K Invader

16 posts · Last reply 2 months, 3 weeks ago
Viewing 1 - 15 of 16 posts
  • Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 2 months, 4 weeks ago:

    I finally got "critical mass" in aftermarket stuff for the ICM B-26K Invader.

    The Vector nose is really useful, because it's about 3/16 inch longer than the kit nose, which is really noticeable.

    Most people won't notice that the wing intakes are a bit small, but since the Vector correction comes with the nose, I decided to use it. Cut out the area on panel lines and it is a drop-fit assembly.

    The kit goes together nicely if you pay attention and take care in assembly.

    Since I discovered yesterday that there is a shortage of fish weights at stores in Los Angeles (as in none in stock) I managed to find some on Amazon that will be delivered Friday. So final assembly and painting waits till the new year.

    If you're doing any nose-sitter models and don't have a stock of weights, you'd best be checking around because the local source may not be available. Amazon has definitely become my friend the past three years.

    2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

  • Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 months, 4 weeks ago:

    Another super entry, my friend @tcinla!

  • Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 2 months, 4 weeks ago:

    They retired these planes just a few years before I went to pilot training. Looking forward to your build, Tom (@tcinla), especially with the resin updates.

  • Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 months, 4 weeks ago:

    This is an excellent start for 2023, Tom @tcinla
    Seems like fishing became popular in LA, luckily Amazon still has them available.
    Looking forward to this build.

  • Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 2 months, 4 weeks ago:

    Iā€™m looking forward to your build as well. I have mine in the box with extra goodies waiting to see yours for inspiration and know-how before I dive in Tom @tcinla.

    Way to start the new year!

  • Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 2 months, 3 weeks ago:

    Here's the fuselage interior painted. The kit painting instructions say the cockpit should be interior green, yet the color photos ICM refers to show a black cockpit. Further research confirms that.

    The Eduard photoetch interior is really crucial to making that cockpit look good. It includes all the levers, but after three of them flew into the air and landed I know not where, I decided not to worry about them, and also not to proceed with the idea of opening the canopy clamshells. All looks well that way.

    The weights in the tip end of the nose seem sufficient, but I have added some extra insurance in the front of the engine nacelles.

    5 attached images. Click to enlarge.

  • Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 2 months, 3 weeks ago:

    It looks like the Eduard really helps the cockpit, Tom (@tcinla). I managed to get 2 (out of 6) levers in place on the Sea Fury I am building. The rest have taken up residence in the carpet. I decided I wasn't going to lose any on this build, so I took an extra-firm grip on the tweezers holding the lever, which basically meant that when they predictably twanged away, they flew a long distance. There has to be an easier way to do this.

  • Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 2 months, 3 weeks ago:

    @gblair - be sure to let us all know when you find it! šŸ™‚

  • Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 months, 3 weeks ago:

    Cockpit looks great, my friend @tcinla!

  • Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 months, 3 weeks ago:

    Nice work on the interior, Tom @tcinla
    PE is in most cases a beautiful addition but those lever or similar small pieces always tend to go where they should not be.

  • Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 2 months, 3 weeks ago:

    Here it is with the fuselage assembled, and the wings on the spars. I will keep the wings unglued while I paint it, which will make the underwing painting on the fuselage and inner engine nacelles much easier.

    You can see the nose is vastly superior to what's in the kit - I am also attaching a photo of the earlier ICM B-26B kit, which clearly shows the failure of the kit nose.

    The engines, as you can see, are really nice, but once you slide the cowling on you won't see much, and once you attach the engine to the wing, attach the cowling and then glue the cooling flaps in position closed, you don't see a friggin' thing.

    Spent this afternoon building underwing ordnance - "snake and nape", the truck killer's load.

    4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

  • Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 months, 3 weeks ago:

    Nice progress, my friend @tcinla! Indeed the nose difference is apparent. Pity about the engine detail being invisible.

  • Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 months, 3 weeks ago:

    Really great progress, Tom @tcinla
    Are you not able to open up a cowling, it would indeed be a pity to hide those engine details.

  • Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 2 months, 3 weeks ago:

    @johnb - Everything is there for someone who wants to do an engine replacement diorama. The cowlings are one piece, so opening them up is a bit problematic. for me, I am fine with having it closed up - I closed up the bomb bay too.

  • Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 2 months, 3 weeks ago:

    I had never noticed the problem with the nose, but it is noticeable, Tom (@tcinla). You are making great progress on this really detailed kit. I don't like cutting stuff open either, I always end up messing something up.

Viewing 1 - 15 of 16 posts