Four more P-40s

Started by Michael Turner · 74 · 3 months ago · 1/48, AMT, Armee de l'Air, Eduard, Hobbycraft, P-40F, P-40L, P-40N, RAAF, RNZAF, USAAF
  • Profile Photo
    Michael Turner said 4 months, 1 week ago:

I also cut a cleaner mask for the small G under the nose and resprayed it. It almost looks like a C, but that is the way it is in photos, so I’m happy with that.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 4 months, 1 week ago:

The spinner looks awesome, as does the underside "G", my friend @michaelt! Proper research pays off!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 4 months, 1 week ago:

This spinner is beautifully painted, same for the 'G', Michael @michaelt

• Profile Photo
    Michael Turner said 4 months, 1 week ago:

Thanks Spiros (@fiveten) and John (@johnb).

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 4 months, 1 week ago:

Your work using the Cricut to cut masks really pays off, Michael (@michaelt). I use my wife's Cricut sometimes, but I can't get it to cut masks this small. Well done.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 4 months, 1 week ago:

Michael Turner (@michaelt)
    This is stunning ! It's all of the little things that add up into one magnificent result, as you have shown us here with the last P-40. You're right, the "G" does indeed look like a "C".

I'm going to have to save up and get a scan / cutting machine, along with a 3D printer. This will open up all kinds of possibilities.

I recently picked up a 1/48 scale Hasegawa P-40N. It has a natural metal P-40 on the box art, and the spinner is very similar to yours is, as far as the colors are concerned. It has a Blue / White / Blue spinner, but I think it's just as likely to be natural metal on the center instead of the White.

I'm really looking forward to Eduard's new 1/48 scale P-40E. That one is definitely on the bucket list !

Keep it going my friend... 🙂

Merry Christmas to you and your family too.

• Profile Photo
    Michael Turner said 3 months, 3 weeks ago:

So, to back up a bit: when I completed the first three P-40s for the Model Expo, I didn't include their gunsights.
    This is because;
    a. the kits provided a square hole in the IP and a short, small and round pin on the gunsights, and
    b. the AMT based kits had solid plastic gunsights with solid reflector "glass"
    This is the Eduard/Mauve gunsight to which I've added some copper wire.

These three are the AMT gunsights with copper wire and clear reflector glass added.

• Profile Photo

I added the gunsights and arial wires and a bit of weathering to finish them all off.

The P-40L had the late windscreen with the triangular vent on the left which is a feature of the late P-40Fs and early P-40Ns). So, I masked and painted that.

Ironically, the P-40N I built is a late model when they reverted to the earlier ventless windscreen.

So, when I removed the P-40L windscreen in order to fit the gunsight, I removed the painted on vent and swapped windscreens between the L and N.

So, these four are finally done!

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 3 months, 3 weeks ago:

Excellent work, Michael. You chose an interesting selection of planes to model.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 months, 3 weeks ago:

Excellent achievement indeed, Michael @michaelt

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 months, 3 weeks ago:

These all look amazing, Michael @michaelt. I love the various paint schemes. What multi-build is next on the horizon?

• Profile Photo

G’day Johns (@j-healy)(@johnb) and George (@gblair),

Thanks for your kind comments.

George, I don’t think I will ever attempt 7 builds at once again (well, three then four P-40s).

I do have a plan to build a couple of P-47s this year, though - a Tamiya and a Hasegawa razorback - but not for a while.

I have too many kits on the go at the moment.

• Profile Photo

G’day Johns (@j-healy)(@johnb) and George (@gblair),

Thanks for your kind comments.

George, I don’t think I will ever attempt 7 builds at once again (well, three then four P-40s).

I do have a plan to build a couple of P-47s this year, though - a Tamiya and a Hasegawa razorback - but not for a while.

I have too many kits on the go at the moment.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 months, 3 weeks ago:

Congratulations, my friend @michaelt! Awesome results!