Franz Stigler and Charlie Brown; a story for the generations. For Bernie.

Started by david leigh-smith · 385 · 5 years ago · 1/48, diorama, Luftwaffe, USAF, WW2
  • Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 5 years, 10 months ago:

Thanks for that, Michel. I always find I get a sense of quiet content when they find a plane or ship where men have been lost. Empathy for the remaining family I think, or a vague sense of peace for the dead.

My own B-17 wreck is now unexpectedly gaining momentum again due to the literally misfiring airbus. Sorry, brush.

Boy, that fuselage took some amount of wrestling together, as you can probably tell by the prodigious amount of clamps, cable ties, and elastics. Then we'll have the traditional '70's Revell Sanding party'. Really looking forward to that.

Sun's shining, and somewhere in the world it's just slipped past the yard arm. Time for a cold one, hammock, and some food.

• Profile Photo
    Rob Pollock said 5 years, 10 months ago:

Good work. Onward!

• Profile Photo

Here you can see the whole horror that is the 1970's Revell kits. Lots of putty, no two surfaces joining together, and industrial levels of sanding. Getting this fuselage to join was an interesting endeavour. Interesting as in 'a f@#*$€%+#' nightmare. But...but, eventually we have a one piece structure that can be fashioned into a facsimile of a B-17. With some re-scribing and imaginative tender loving care.

• Profile Photo
    Morne Meyer said 5 years, 10 months ago:

It is starting to come together nicely. Well done! If you want to simulate a cracked window or windscreen you can heat up a fine needle and lightly move it across the clear surface outward from the broken area of the windscreen and it would create hairline cracks. First practice on old piece of clear sprue or canopy. For best results use a fine hypodermic needle.

• Profile Photo

Excellent idea, Morne, I really appreciate the advice and will definitely be trying that out. With the airbrush out of commission for a while I have plenty of time to experiment, which is no bad thing at all. At the moment I'm very much treating this as a canvas, laying down the composition, layering the background work and will gradually work up the detail; definitely less technical and more artistic.

Thanks for the suggestion, Morne.

• Profile Photo
    Peter Hausamann said 5 years, 10 months ago:

What a wreck! Ha ha, it's looking great.
    Just making a suggestion. Take photos of your experimenting of cracked glass, and/or other experiments. And post them in the Experiments Group.

• Profile Photo

Another great idea. Although in my experience if an experiment works it usually means something has gone wrong.

• Profile Photo
    Peter Hausamann said 5 years, 10 months ago:

Ha ha ha. Funny how we remember all the blow ups, and hardly the successes.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 5 years, 10 months ago:

Sounds like we have the same luck David... with building older Monogram kits and putty, and experiments. But I still love these Monogram models. They are what I grew up building, or should I more correctly say "slam together". The Revell ones are near and dear to me as well...

Peter, you are correct about remembering the bad and not so much of the good...

Looks like you have achieved a major event. Closing up the fuselage is always a good sign.

and it looks great my friend... 🙂

I'll be looking forward to the next installment.

• Profile Photo

The human condition, Peter. 200,000 years of homo sapien evolution means we give all the cynics the top political jobs and lock away all the optimists.

• Profile Photo

Louis, I certainly don't mean to complain about the old Revellogram kits, they are endless hours of challenges and fun. Yes, there's frustration and there's no such thing as a quick build, but if you stuck to Tamiya or Eduard, modeling would get very boring very quickly.

Thanks for the support, Louis.

• Profile Photo
    David Mills said 5 years, 10 months ago:

Nice work David - Love the cockpit figures and their poses. Keep up the great work!

• Profile Photo

Thanks, David. I've got some time off this weekend so will immerse myself in this build, there's lots of remedial work to be done on the Fort' (the detail on the old girl is just soft and horrible - which is the joy of working on these ancient kits). I also need to work on the damage. The good news is my airbrush part will arrive much earlier than anticipated, so I'll get some paint on the beast next week sometime.

Thanks for the encouragement, David, means a lot to have you along.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Bebout said 5 years, 10 months ago:

Ah the challenges we face in building models. What's the saying; "what doesn't kill me makes me stronger." Not that this is a life or death experience but I'm sure you'll prevail in making this dio something to behold. It's also an excellent story.

• Profile Photo

Or in modeling terms, 'what doesn't kill me, makes me stranger'.

Thanks, Tom.