Franz Stigler and Charlie Brown; a story for the generations. For Bernie.

Started by david leigh-smith · 385 · 5 years ago · 1/48, diorama, Luftwaffe, USAF, WW2
  • Profile Photo
    Michel Verschuere said 5 years, 10 months ago:

David, this cockpit is a dio in itself, very nice!

• Profile Photo
    James B Robinson said 5 years, 10 months ago:

David Leigh-Smith - A mental condition waiting to happen!

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 5 years, 10 months ago:

@jamesb you don't happen to know my wife?

• Profile Photo

Thanks, Michel. In actual fact Charlie B 'should' be in the port side chair of the cockpit, if this were another site I'd probably have been denounced as the modeling equivalent of the village i***t and put in the stocks. But Herr Stigler accompanied the Fort for some time and I'm guessing there was a lot of activity in the front of that old bird. Artistic license.

• Profile Photo
    James B Robinson said 5 years, 10 months ago:

@dirtylittlefokker No, at least not yet! LOL I just thought it would be a fitting signature for you. 😉

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 5 years, 10 months ago:

Artistic license it is... and it looks great David. I agree with Michel...

Build it the way you want and remember, damn the torpedoes man !

Only a true village i***t would decide to build eight Spitfires at once... an increase from the original Five...

• Profile Photo

@jamesb I just ask as Mrs. Leigh-Smith says the same thing on an almost daily basis. With some colourful language thrown in. And sometimes some other things thrown.

• Profile Photo

Today was a very mixed day at the 'office'. Bad news first; yet another setback on the 109. In lieu of having no operational airbrush, I thought I'd spray (canister) some acrylic matt varnish on the underside of the Gustav in the hope of weathering the little BF and this happened...

I think it reacted to something that was on my hands (thinner, water, etc) already. So, back to the drawing board with that.

I attached one wing to the Fort (having dry fitted both, the port wing is a terrible fit so glued it on and sanded and puttied my way through a couple of PBS documentaries). The starboard wing fits like a dream, so I'll attach it after painting.

I used Morne's (@mornem) idea to simulate cracked glass. Heated a needle over a candle (much to the emusement of my wife who thought I'd finally given up sniffing glue and graduated to grown up drugs) and gently draw it across the plastic. Looks great (as usual my photos don't do this justice).

Attached the rudder; or at least what is left of it. I made a skeleton of ribs and covered then with lead wine cork sealer stuff (I don't know what the hell its called) - it looks good with trailing 'doped' fabric.

So for the first time I can pose these two iconic birds together and see some semblance of what I'm aiming for.

[pic 3]

For the moment it's Friday again (I'm not back at work 'til next Wednesday) and it's just me, Dolfo, some Elvis Juice (yep, sounds weird but tastes wonderful), and the bench. Happy trails, all.

1 additional image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    said 5 years, 10 months ago:

Great progress David. I have not been able to do much these days as life is hectic and needs must. Have to make do watching other people's efforts. Great stuff on this build.

• Profile Photo

Anthony, you are part of the tribe. There's a reason it's called 'social scale modeling' - it's just as important to hear from you as see your work. Thanks for dropping in, friend.

• Profile Photo
    Peter Hausamann said 5 years, 10 months ago:

Looks like the 109 sprung an oil leak.
    Great progress on wrecking the plane.
    The juice ought to help make a good go of it. So don't go too far ;-). Moderation is the key, which I seem to always misplace.

• Profile Photo

The 109 sprung a leak for sure. Wish I knew what it was that did it, it's a hell of an effective paint stripper.

• Profile Photo
    Aleksandar Sekularac said 5 years, 10 months ago:

Hi David,
    what kind of mat varnish did you spray on the bf.109? I am currently experimenting myself with acrylic products and finding that they are quite different than the good ol' mineral spirit based chemistry. When the time comes on my Tupolev I will do some analysis of the new products from Ammo of Mig that I purchased recently... Love the socks BTW.. oh yes and the Fort is grand!

• Profile Photo

Aleks, this is the varnish (Humbrol) and it usually sprays on beautifully, has an excellent finish, and is great to weather on. I did have various things I was working on at the time that could have interacted with it - as I say usually this product is fantastic.

The socks? Well, they are Harry Potter themed and belong to my daughter (well, they used to...ha).

• Profile Photo
    Aleksandar Sekularac said 5 years, 10 months ago:

Hi David,
    if I may bother you some more, did you have any sort of primer on the Messer? I find that the primer really helps to stabilize whatever happens on top of it. Also, are the camo paints also acrylic or enamels? Sorry if you mentioned this already, I'm too lazy to read through all the posts.
    P.S. So your daughter has the same shoe size as you? Mine are not there yet… I’m also not sure if I’m man enough for a pink hello kitty designs. 😉
    Cheers,
    Aleks