Franz Stigler and Charlie Brown; a story for the generations. For Bernie.

Started by david leigh-smith · 385 · 5 years ago · 1/48, diorama, Luftwaffe, USAF, WW2
  • Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 5 years, 8 months ago:

Hello David, as a scientist you will know what a model is! I reckon we can steal and stretch a little of the definition and say that you (we) are creating an understanding of something difficult to visualise otherwise. I know we don't (generally) make functional models - but I'd argue that all of our modelling - even that of the rivet counters (perhaps especially those who research their builds forensically) - is art!

And as some bright spark (Mark Twain maybe but I wouldn't put my shirt on it) said 'I don't know about art, but I know what I like!' This is on a trajectory to become something truly very special - and to bury the ghost of that Ju88 to boot!

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 5 years, 8 months ago:

Louis, you are a prince amongst men and your compliments are as jewels to this lowly peddler of plastic. Thank you, my friend and your support through this project is hugely appreciated.

• Profile Photo

Well, @tom-bebout, given your lovelies in olive (the Lightning and Airacobra you shared with us) I consider that great praise. You have any projects in the pipeline?

• Profile Photo

@yellow10, my original thoughts about this diorama were to highlight the adjacency of war, that from breakdown and violence sometimes there is a possibility of complex notions of beauty and decency. All of which is to say that I’ve done my fair share of scientific modeling, enough to know that entropy isn’t what it used to be...

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 5 years, 8 months ago:

Isn’t it great that the randomness of wartime ‘interaction’ and those abstract notions can be frozen in a pair of models set in a diorama? Modelling decency and beauty and fate is definitely where the art lies. The technicality of the build and the painting here is another type of art. Put them together and that’s when it gets special!

• Profile Photo

Only in iModeler can one get moral commentary, art observations, and physics jokes in one thread. Oh, and a model or two thrown in.

Thanks for the comments, Paul!

• Profile Photo
    Aleksandar Sekularac said 5 years, 8 months ago:

Hi David,

Very true. And don’t forget the colorful socks!

Just wanted to tell you that I’m following this tread with great interest and enjoyment, even if I am not chatting a lot lately… You are making a wonderful model from so many aspects. Great stuff!

Cheers,
    Aleks

• Profile Photo
    Marc Barris said 5 years, 8 months ago:

Hey David, I have not been very active on the site lately, work and an overseas holiday, I just opened up the site and found this amazing build, you have got me in the mood to get some building done, an amazing build my friend, truly amazing. Keep on posting, this is a winner for sure.

• Profile Photo

It’s great to hear from you Aleks. Thanks for the support and I hope we see more of your work coming soon. I’m thinking two more weekends will put this project to bed. Just received the masters 50 cal Brownings today and awaiting a new canopy. Then we’ll be done and onto the next project(s).

• Profile Photo

Miss your work here, @marc. The Pilatus remains one of my very favourite build logs on iModeler; an inspirational piece of work. Sounds like you’ve been busy- you ever get around to starting the X-15?

Thanks for the compliments, which mean a great deal from such a respected craftsman.

• Profile Photo
    David A. Thomas said 5 years, 8 months ago:

My brother, it’s been too long. I just logged in after who knows how many days and saw the mention regarding the PropBlurs. So glad they are helpful, and thanks for your graciousness. I am eyeball-deep in a move (three hours south of Seattle) and job/vocation change, and have little time for modeling at the moment. I have hopes that will change.

KUdos on your progress and stay healthy and encouraged.

~Tocayo Tuyo

• Profile Photo
    Marc Barris said 5 years, 8 months ago:

Hey David, I will be back in the saddle soon enough, leaving the DRC next Sunday and back to the Pilatus PC 21. Really enjoying your posts.

• Profile Photo

David, long time no here(sic)...

I know only too well the difficulties of a move, but combined with a career shift that’s a whole lot of pressure. I hope it all goes as well as it can and we see you back at the bench soon.

God speed, David.

• Profile Photo

Thanks for the post, Marc. Glad to hear you’ll be back hacking the plastic soon.

I’ve been doing some of the dreaded masking.

Got the props on, and did some more decal work...

Still waiting for the B-17 canopy, and now the Gustav’s spinner has gone walkabouts.

Been distracting myself too (as we all do - damned Peter’s @tecko fault with his ‘dios you’d like to make’ thread)...got me searching for pre-dreadnought ironclads and thinking how to scratchbuild Martian tripods.

Oooooooollaaaaaaaa.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 5 years, 8 months ago:

Wow David, you have made some great progress !

Sorry to hear about the spinner on the Gustav. It will show up when you least expect it.

One little thing I noticed, (and please don't take this the wrong way). It's about the prop that is not spinning...

Typically they would "feather" a prop on an engine that was damaged, do reduce drag and to keep the engine from "wind milling". When a prop is feathered, it is turned so that is slices into the air and looks like this:

This poor hard luck B-24 has both inboard props feathered...

The only reason I mentioned this is that right now it's much easier to change it if you wanted to. Otherwise, you could leave it alone and just tell people that the engine "just stopped" and the pilots have not feathered it yet...

It may be a simple fix with slicing off the individual blades and re gluing them back on without any pitch.

What a thing of beauty this build is... I am really liking it. 🙂

If you had Chewbacca at the helm of the sailing vessel, the Martians wouldn't stand a chance...