GWH 1/48 Devastator – FINISHED

Started by Eric Berg · 173 · 3 years ago · devastator, dive bomber, Douglas, Great Wall Hobby, GWH TBD-1 devastator, Lt. John C. Waldron, Midway, T-16, TBD-1, TBD-1 Devastator, torpedo, torpedo bomber, VT-8
  • Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 5 months ago:

Overengineered but splendidly assembled! Very nice Eric.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 3 years, 5 months ago:

Having built this kit myself a few years back, I am super-impressed with what you are doing here, Eric. The cockpit is superb! I'll definitely be following this.

One thing to worry about is that the landing gear oleos are fully-extended, something I discovered too late with mine. Be sure to fix that, because it really affects the final look.

I did mine pre-war, using Yellow Wings decals. As you can see, the too-long gear throws things off a lot.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 years, 5 months ago:

Just outstanding work done, Eric.
    Such a pity that the interior will be encaptured after closing the fuselage.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 5 months ago:

A beautiful cockpit, getting better and better, Eric @eb801.
    Of course,I love the map!

• Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 3 years, 5 months ago:

Tom: I’ve been following the tips in that review Of this kit you wrote a few years back and am well aware of the too long gear problem. Any ideas how to fix this without ruining the brake lines and other GWH detail? I wonder if Scale Aircraft Conversions corrected this with their metal replacement set? Anybody know? Thanks for the compliments.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 3 years, 5 months ago:

@eb801: most of the time SAC just molds what's there in the kit, in white metal. The only time I know they ever corrected for length was in doing the nose gear for the GWH P-61, and that happened because I made the master for them, lengthening the gear leg.

• Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 3 years, 4 months ago:

Works Starts Again!

Back working on the Devastator at last after finishing up my Sea Hornet project. Just glued the fuselage halves together. Here's another over engineering item that pops up at this point. The instructions would have you install the tailhook before mating the two halves together but if you do that, it's doomed to break off. I cut the tailhook's attachment point off at the fuselage end and will install it after everything else is finished. It slides right in. Be very careful when removing the hook from the sprue. Easy to snap it in half.

Onwards!

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 4 months ago:

I also usually cut (or leave off) many fragile "thingies" at the start of my builds and install them at later stages, even if I have to twist and fiddle around at those later stages (eg tail wheel strut attachment into the fuselage). I also might have to make provisions beforehand, in order for those parts to fit afterwards.
    Looking great so far, Eric @eb801!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 years, 4 months ago:

Getting into shape, Eric.
    Good idea on removing those fragile parts.
    Never thought about cutting parts but it is worth doing that to prevent bad things to happen.

• Profile Photo

Speaking of protecting fragile parts, John, this is where the one piece canopy comes in handy especially if you are not going to use it. I temporary glued it in place to protect the interior cockpit parts already installed. The rest of the details I will add later after the paint job etc.

Moving on to the bomb-sight doors, I took Tom Cleaver's advice and glued a strip of .010 Evergreen to the inner edge of one of the doors as when they are closed there is a bit of a gap if you don't do this:

Then glue the other door to it and sand flush:

Now flip it over and add another strip to reinforce it so it won't cave in. Make sure you keep the curvature of the fuselage bottom. Now it's ready to fit in place. I'm going to paint the inside black so the white won't show should anyone go poking around with a flashlight.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 3 years, 4 months ago:

@eb801: There is a neat little trick for cutting delicate parts off the sprue: cut the bit of sprue it's directly attached to off at the main "trunk" of the tree. Then, when you can lay the part completely flat on your work surface, cut the little bit of sprue off the part. Works. Every. Time.

• Profile Photo

Absolutely. Works every time.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 4 months ago:

Tricks copied, @tcinla and @eb801.
    Great tricks!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 years, 4 months ago:

Nice achievement, Eric.
    Thanks for those tricks, have them noted.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 3 years, 4 months ago:

Erik, @eb801
    I just noticed your build journal, and also just read it from the very beginning to where you are now. You have done some amazing work on this plane. The Devastator looks good in any paint scheme, but I'm partial to the ones from the "Yellow Wings" era. I have only built the old school Monogram version and still have about 5 of them left in the stash... Someday I'll get to building them. This GWH kit looks to be very detailed and the work you have completed on the cockpit looks exceptionally well.

When I built a Monogram version for our Battle of Midway group build around 3 years ago I stumbled across a bit of trivia I want to share with you about fire extinguishers. I'm a retired Lieutenant / EMT from a local fire department, so naturally the fire extinguisher caught my eye... 🙂

Back in the 1940's, most of the fire extinguishers were manufactured in either a copper or brass material for the tank portion. This was left unpainted so the extinguisher would have looked like this.
    I was lucky to find this photo of an antique aircraft portable extinguisher that someone had for sale. The one in the Devastator would have looked like this.

It's not too late to change it if you want to, or you could just leave it alone "as is", and 99 percent of the people wouldn't know the difference. The only fire extinguisher that would have been painted red back during this time would be a CO2 style, and they used a different style nozzle, and not just a hose. The CO2 extinguishers use a large bell type opening where the gas comes out. This bell is still in use on todays extinguishers.

As far as another little trick I use for cutting parts off plastic tress is stupidly simple and easy. I will cut away the part from the plastic tree using a set of cutters. I leave about 1/8 inch or so of the sprue connected to the part I'm retrieving.

Then I use an ordinary set of fingernail clippers to snip off the remaining plastic from the part. Fingernail clippers are sharp on both sides and make a cleaner cut when removing the leftover plastic stub. This really helps when you are trying to cut away small delicate parts.

The end result is a cut that looks like this, with minimal work to do to remove the last little bit of remaining plastic from the part. It's a nice clean cut every time.

I did a lot of research hen I built my TBD, and posted a lot of pictures that might help you along the way. Here's a link to the journal if you're interested.

https://imodeler.com/groups/75th-anniversary-battle-of-midway-group-build/forum/topic/148-monogram-tbd-1-devastator/

Hope this helps... 🙂

After seeing my fingernails in the one photo I just posted here, I think it might be time to use another set of fingernail cutters... This set is used strictly for building models.

Happy New Year.